Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea 5 Complete released on Steam

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I wanted to start playing some Disgaea game on PC, with which one should I start? I see they are all slowly coming in Steam

lightbane

Arcane
They posted this after people on Steam forums raising the issues. Great communication as always!

It looks like it was true what someone here said that NIS consistently fucks over all non-niponnese fans all the time. Is it tradition by now, incompetence, or sheer laziness to make a good port?

deama

Prophet
I couldn't care less about those features but that's still a dick move, holy fuck.

Aaaaand the game won't launch. Apparently it requires a specific windows update, which in turn requires another windows update, which, iirc, is the update that allows windows to update itself even when you've disabled automatic updates. Fuuuuuck that.
Huh, works fine for me, and I'm on Win 7 and haven't updated for a couple+ years.

If I wanted to start playing some Disgaea game on PC, with which one should I start? I see they are all slowly coming in Steam
I think just start with this one. If you get an urge to go back to the old ones, just restart this one again.

Terra

Cipher
"irreconcilable platform differences"
Why the fuck do the minds of japanese devs turn to mush when it comes to porting games to PC. Fucking incompetence of the highest order.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So this is supposed to be the best Disgaea game, right?
No, not even close.

Disgaea > Disgaea 2 > Disgaea 3 > Disgaea 5 > Disgaea 4

The original Disgaea has by far the best characters / story / scenario design.

The mechanics are fundamentally the same in all games with slight variations in every game. If you just care about the grinding gameplay I'd say Disgaea 2 is the best there. But overall the original game is the best.

The characters and the story in Disgaea 5 are just not engaging (still not as terrible as 4 though). They were real lazy there. The female lead is pretty much a recycled version of the Disgaea 2 one.

I wonder if the original writers left after Disgaea 2.

I will never forget the cast of the original game:
0736637e2ae20a94b76363b0b907c0ed.jpg

Some of the most memorable video game characters of all time.

..but this is all so bland. And not even funny. Again the contrast between the hilarious Disgaea 1 and the lame humor in 5 is extreme.

No, definitely play Disgaea 1 (also available for PC).

Perkel

Arcane
yeah lame is good word to define new disagea games.
I tried 4th one but i couldn't stand listening to this unfunny garbage after 5-6 missions.

Generally the newer the version the more lame humor is.
Unfortunately at the same time mechanics get better and better.

But i wouldn't play it for mechanics really. Not unless you want to spend rest of your life playing.
Imho it is real shame though that they put so much on grinding because if they would remove a lot of grinding game would be even better.

Disgaea on PC is upgraded Afternoon Darkness i think version which is basically on latest mechanics before they switched to HD sprites.

Terra

Cipher
Yeah, there's no doubt Disgaea 1 was the best one. I still need to go back and play through Disgaea D2, the direct sequel with the original cast, so I'm not sure where that one stands but I've been reluctant to play it given the series decline on the writing/humour side of things.

I remember starting Disgaea 4 a few years back and the main "jokes" were just endless sardines references which constantly fell flat and I ended up setting it aside. I guess after plumbing the depths of the mechanics and putting hundreds of hours into the item worlds in the first 3 games, if the characters and humour fall flat, I'm out. Maybe I'll give this one a shot, but they definitely lost something as the series progressed.

Perkel

Arcane
has there been a japanese SRPG yet that has been better than FFT or TO?????

Fire Emblem games are quite good. But i don't think you can call them better. Imho they are pretty similar fun/quality wise. I always liked their equipment system.

this is the first "tactics" i've played since tactics ogre advanced.
other than the obvious consolitis which completely ruins the interface and turns very easy operations into nightmares (moving innocents around, i'm looking at you), for me the game suffers from the absence of random maps/enemies placements, which with unique characters which for obvious reasons are superior to recruitable mooks make for very samey encounters.
this being said, i love features bloat. after losing my last game of realism invictus to the "turn not restarting bug" i guess this will keep me occupied for a while.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I dunno, I'm a ways into it now and some of the abilties these recruitable mooks have are pretty fucking insane. The archers provides a support attack every time an ally in range deals damage to something. That'd be worth it just for doubling the length of the combo alone, let alone all the damage it adds and the potential to have your ace archer nuke things all around it whenever some cannon fodder tags it for her.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
this is the first "tactics" i've played since tactics ogre advanced.
other than the obvious consolitis which completely ruins the interface and turns very easy operations into nightmares (moving innocents around, i'm looking at you), for me the game suffers from the absence of random maps/enemies placements, which with unique characters which for obvious reasons are superior to recruitable mooks make for very samey encounters.
this being said, i love features bloat. after losing my last game of realism invictus to the "turn not restarting bug" i guess this will keep me occupied for a while.
Get into the item worlds, everything is random there.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I unlocked some bonus characters and they are making the early game stupidly easy, boring even.

Damned Registrations

Well yeah, the pay to win dlc is obviously gonna be cheat mode.

Also, I take back what I was saying about mooks being viable. Unique characters don't have scaling costs when they reincarnate, so they can do it endlessly and get all the insane benefits that go along with that. My crazy archer bitch is still steamrolling everything for me after doing a few item world runs, but I'm sure the next big leap in strength for me is gonna be a unique character.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't stop playing this thing. For the last 2 days just i ignored the story and keep diving in the item world. I'm getting concerned i may have undiagnosed autism. The gameplay is greatly improved over the older games . It's a shame the story and the characters are so boring. Disgaea 1 really was the peak of the frachise in that regard. In later games the writing has its good and bad points but it's always consistently inferior to the first game.

Last time NIS wrote a genuinely funny story was Soul Nomad and that was 11 years ago.

Damned Registrations

I think the first game had the advantage of being able to use very basic archetypes for laharl, flonne and etna. They couldn't really just copy those for later games so they had to keep doing weirder, more complex shit that takes longer to explain and build up.

The writing quality in general has certainly declined though, even on things like the item descriptions. Though I think the attacks have gotten better- some of that shit is hilarious. And you still find gems here and there. I liked the bit of the interrogation tutorial where you could ask if this was really all ok and the reply was just 'Yes.' :lol:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
What the hell is post game ? Post game I go to bed. Post story would be understandable, but how can a part of a game be post game ?
Anyway, it's nice to have new clean looking Disgaea. Here game take my life.

after an initial period of bliss, i gave up on this game. the classes don't feel much different, skills definitely aren't much different, but the worst offender is the dark knight. she can block everything on the whole map and taking most of the time negligible or just 0 damage in return. once you build one of it and a couple of heavy hitters you're done. also starring characters are much more powerful than recruits. i dread the possibility there is a starring dark knight.
i might still be at the beginning with characters lower than level 80 but to reach that it took me a huge lot of time already, and much of it i didn't really enjoy.

Damned Registrations

I feel bad for people that try to play Disgaea games like they are a normal tactics game. I spent 59 hours before moving on, but in that time I beat the game, a bunch of the postgame stuff, hit level 9999, reincarnated and hit it again within 20 minutes. I cleared the last half of the main story using a character that hit the entire map at once with her revenge skill. I spent most of my time tinkering with items, innocents, and a character that now has 9 range and counters basically everything so I can clear a floor of the item world in about 10 seconds.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Some of the most memorable video game characters of all time.

Agreed! The characters in the Disgaea games are written so well that it makes Planescape Torment's writing look like the work of an imbecile!

Damned Registrations

It's pretty sad that the best characters in the later games are the prinnies. And maybe Zeta, in his own game. Something about an enraged animated book was pretty entertaining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom