Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea 5 Complete released on Steam

Reinhardt

Arcane
We need another Soul Nomad.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Never cared for Soul Nomad. No real gameplay to speak of. No item world, no geo panels, just a ton of boring story maps where everything dies in 1 hit and can't hurt you.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
No Dex. I won't let you defile the fun I'm having with my new Disgaea. But yeah (sigh)...the battling isn't very entertaining. The character building is not exactly exiting too, but I found the way the game handles the research intriguing. I'd love to see a whole game build on that concept:

You have your mothership and some expedition shuttles. You are building and equipping your characters and send them to missions. Without any active combat.
You upgrade the mothership and the shuttles. Perhaps only if you find a boss of a planet or of another ship, combat is actually playable.
Think of mixing Progress Quest with Faster Than Light (that little survival sci-fi game) and Disgaea.

I liked Soul Nomad as I like games with different degrees of off-hand combat (e.g. Majesty I+II), but Makai Kingdom was my favorite.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Makai Kingdom was pretty great, though I didn't like how important vehicles were in the late game. And while I like hands off combat as well, Disgaea 5 is pretty close to that once you crank up the battle speeds to full. You can have a dozen units attack you and get counter attacked and killed in about 5 seconds.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Never cared for Soul Nomad. No real gameplay to speak of. No item world, no geo panels, just a ton of boring story maps where everything dies in 1 hit and can't hurt you.

It was definitely more story-centric and one of the rare examples where actually being evil may be the default route. Not just a Disgaea reskin, though.

8923750.jpg

Well i'm enjoying the gameplay alright, but Seraphima's signature laugh, the world-class "Oh-hohohohohoho" might be enough to get me to stop playing. I'll see how grating it gets.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It has been a while since i grinded like autistic teenager with no life but Nurgle time is good for this.

I went through 1 and 2 and playing 5 atm. 5 generics + 5 monsters each for monster change. yes I know it's useless I AM LARPING and kitsune sprites and others are very hot.

in my opinion, the basics of these games is close to genius:

the story of Disgaea 1 where you wake up as kid overlord 2 years after your demon dad died and is followed by tsun flatboard demoness who tries to betray you is great premise imo, as is oldschool, not very well written, but still somewhat unique old jrpg plot with angel who tries to find something good in main character so hard that in the end
grows a demony heartshaped tail

sadly, the plot is too mopey and is not taken to its maximum potential, and then later games do not take plot seriosly anymore. it could have been really good.
Disgaea 2 story is nearly not as fresh and most of it is just press e to skip honestly
Disgaea 5 shows to me that they turned into wrong direction and instead of taking themselves seriously and tryin gto create some sort of break 4th wall + demon lolz + classic plot with good intent, went more for mcdonalds approach of recycling everything + broody jrpg hero.

the retarded amount of autistic mechanics fall very well into the concept of hyper munchkinism and growing numbers. game takes growing numbers as a joke treating it as part of the narrative. as a demon, its ok to munchkin, and even cheat (hence the cheat shop with sliders to control gain of various stats); it makes all kinds of sense.

the character construction as a puzzle of classes, unlockables, items, recruiting and reincarnatings and whatelse allows your grindasianautist to fly free on the wings of munchkinism

which is supported by beautiful oldschool sprites and isometric grafix.

the structure of the game is simple, a base and maps which can be beaten by smart use of terrain features, creating chains of throws and abilities or just, well, one-shotting enemy due to being a retardmunchknin.

from a western RPG perspective, these games are a terrible wasted opportunity, due to unique characters just removing all the cool thing about unlockable classes; and due to strategic layer of the game (which is, btw, is incredibly polished) being sacrificed to banal grind and killing enemy by stats.
from autism perspective, it is almost like one of those infinite grindy grinder games with infinite dungeons and paywalls but without paywalls and single player.

anyway, to conlude,
these games are somewhat fun
you can beat main story without grinding
you can make your own party of misfits, catgirls, foxgirls and mage apprentices, and grow them like pokemons with love and care until they wipe maps in 1 turn.
it is isometric, turn based, and features beautiful sprites
everything is very polished

I enjoy it, but you need to make your own fun in these games, they're not beautifurry tacticooly balanced, sadly. fans of asian idea that gitguting means repetetive grind and tons of number crunch love these games, but as a more traditional rpg player, in my opinion, if developers would leave some of it as a joke but just ditch it and make every level a difficult puzzle these games could have been beautiful strategy games with unique premise and lolfunny u demon fuck everyone plots.

I've seen 6th also went for 3d grafix which is, of course, :killit:

oh-hohohohoho~

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I really want to enjoy disagaea games, but the only one I somewhat liked was the 1st one; I tried 5th one and I liked the improvement/change in gameplay, the story and characters were just god awful.

Reinhardt

Arcane
4>5. Even 2>5. Adell was retard but he was an ok retard. And Rozalin > whatever was that princess name in 5.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I really want to enjoy disagaea games, but the only one I somewhat liked was the 1st one; I tried 5th one and I liked the improvement/change in gameplay, the story and characters were just god awful.
Yeah 1 is unique in a sense that it is a mix of traditional JRPG story with demon premise and some lulz, and is held together by small solid cast of characters. Later everything is sacrificed for lulz and bigger cast of characters who argue who will get to eat curry.

For having fun I just treat all as a wizardry game where I make party and grind rogue dungeon(s); sure my catgirls dont talk like in wiz8 but appeal is similar.

4>5. Even 2>5. Adell was retard but he was an ok retard. And Rozalin > whatever was that princess name in 5.
Also Rozalin is a study on "you have 11 pixels for eyes and mouth, now make an arrogant princess out of this". I laughed heartily on ingame option to blur beautiful pixelart into bloomshit. Who would ever think it's an "enhancement"?

Btw maybe I am tryhard but I miss Apprentice system a little. I thought chains of spell teachers/students added some flavour to party management and positioning.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
20 mln stats and can't beat that dum map before carnage dark. the carnage Gorgeous I beaten by boiling super currey that gave everyone 1 bln hp, and then prinnies followed in with classic SMAC quote of "it is everyone's duty to go into the tanks". also even low level no class mastered succubus with ability to autocharm monsters near her turned out to be extremely useful.

meh. i need more shards and trapezoids.

UPDATE

I also got Yggdrasil, and kinda disapointed. I thought if end tier weapon gives like +50k stats naked, then this one will give ONE MILLION STATS so my 30 mln intelligence would become THREE BLN MLN INTELEGENS but, it's just +77k. sure it will snowball if upgraded but developers missed idiotic anime power level humour opportunity there.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom