Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored by Arkane

roll-a-die

Magister
Well, Arkane, Bethesda Game Studios, and Bethesda Softworks are all owned by Zenimax Media. Ultimately, every large scale decision about a "Bethesda" or "Arkane" game is made by Zenimax.
This is such a misconception it's not even funny, so what happened to form Zenimax, was Bethesda was thinking of filing for bankruptcy during the late 90s. Todd Howard, Robert Altman and a bunch of other fucks, basically took a loan together, and bought Bethesda's debt forming the Zenimax Media Group as a holder for that debt. Zenimax literally IS Bethesda, at least on an executive level. It's a holding company that exists to own other companies, but it IS Bethesda.

Okay, I am slightly confused as to why Codexers consider this game good. So far, ten minutes in, I ditched my stealth attempt and went full circus on everyone. Turns out stealth and abilities were superfluous icing on a "padded" rail shooter. Since everything you can kill dies easily, the gameplay easily works contrary to the stealth elements, meaning either ditch stealth, or ditch abilities. One works contrary to the other. If you are going to keep both, make sure the killing is at least interesting, where you have to sneak up behind someone to lay them low, or that enemies are not so weak that the stealth facade looks like a clumsy mask falling down over the face of another triple AAA shooter title.

Drakron

Arcane
That is because the game have multiple paths to the objective, sure you can kill everyone and act as a FPS and the game lets you do it instead of presenting it as a false choice and prevent you from following that.

There is a difference of killing everyone because you can and killing everyone because you must, we have the option that is always what we asked, that games dont present false choices, playing as a FPS and playing as stealth are equality valid choices.

That is because the game have multiple paths to the objective, sure you can kill everyone and act as a FPS and the game lets you do it instead of presenting it as a false choice and prevent you from following that.

There is a difference of killing everyone because you can and killing everyone because you must, we have the option that is always what we asked, that games dont present false choices, playing as a FPS and playing as stealth are equality valid choices.

You mean there are different story outcomes? That does not help balance the gameplay against stealth. There is a difference between being able to kill someone, and being overpowered. I could kill someone in Thief.

Not to sound grumpy. I have liked Arkane Studios' other games. I am just trying to understand.

Drakron

Arcane
You mean there are different story outcomes?

Yes, there is Chaos meter tracking were endings are affected by it, there are also NPCs that will react if you have high chaos (the boatman will call the guards if you have very high chaos) and maps will change slightly (higher chaos means more guards and weepers)

Simply put, you decided to play as a Merican Fucktard, games lets you but will change things, Stealth and non-Lethal will lead to NPCs and maps reacting more favorable as FucktardOfDuty will lead to maps reacting as there is a serial murder loose on the streets and NPCs reacting as Corvo being a psycho because you are playing as a psycho.

The fact you missed that tells volumes.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's amazing how much butthurt it caused among gamers that Dishonored gives you a darker ending if you slaughter everyone. I hope Arkane keeps doing what they want to do and won't listen to retards.

Because all games must have deep, philosophical musings on both "life" and "death."

And I didn't play long enough to where I noticed a meter. After beating the first level and realizing I didn't have to play stealthy as a thief anymore, and the game was too easy, I stopped playing. For obvious reasons. Game balance shouldn't go over the Codexian hivemind's head... Nor should poor AI that tends to "forget" about you in places, and lack of light-and-dark contrast that go with those type of games, not to mention average Joe sound. The game is forgettable. Please stop defending Arkane. They released two good games. Unless this game has more going, I think I'll skip...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Playing like thief in dishonored is fucking awful because practically all tools in the game are for killing so you are reduced to just blinking everywhere. Just kill the bastards

Beastro

Arcane
It's amazing how much butthurt it caused among gamers that Dishonored gives you a darker ending if you slaughter everyone. I hope Arkane keeps doing what they want to do and won't listen to retards.

Only butthurt is that it's the only way to get more combat and more (still not much) challenge from the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Playing like thief in dishonored is fucking awful because practically all tools in the game are for killing so you are reduced to just blinking everywhere. Just kill the bastards
High chaos makes the game ten times easier... not that it's particularly difficult in the first place. But at least stealth/pacifist is some form of challenge. After initially playing stealth a year or so ago I went back recently and killed everyone. That wind gust power makes things laughable. You throw people into the wall and they insta-gib. The only moderately challenging enemy in the game is the tallboys and I think there's maybe... six total?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's an easy game and the sequel is going to be easy too. Don't play it if things like map design, atmosphere, etc, aren't enough to carry you through a game. This is true for all good AAA games these days.

Re: killing things being the most fun gameplay yet increasing chaos

I think they should find a way to differentiate "acceptable casual killing" and "full blown massacres", with the latter increasing chaos much more. Obviously in practice the game does support letting you kill occasionally without getting into High Chaos, but is there a way to make that more clear to the player? For example, you could exponentially increase chaos depending on the number of people who were actually alerted by your killings, or make it so that you don't get that much chaos unless you massacre all the guards in a particular guard post. So a player who kills regularly but not thoroughly knows he's not going to get into too much trouble.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
High chaos makes the game ten times easier... not that it's particularly difficult in the first place. But at least stealth/pacifist is some form of challenge. After initially playing stealth a year or so ago I went back recently and killed everyone. That wind gust power makes things laughable. You throw people into the wall and they insta-gib. The only moderately challenging enemy in the game is the tallboys and I think there's maybe... six total?
Well I never played violently but stealth is super easy too. Mainly because most of the challenge in ghosting stealth games is figuring when it's safe to pop out and cross an open section...which blink trivializes.

Deleted member 7219

Excellent game, excellent setting and some nice C&Cs (including the endings) that reward the stealthy, patient, exploration-focused approach.

I hope Dishonored 2 is just as good.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also is boring as fuck because the "stealth" paths are so obvious.

Nigga please, have you even played the game or are you being hyperbolic just to hate on Dishonored? If you actually tried to play without blink or other powers, you'd see how wrong you are about the "obvious stealth paths". There are a few, yes, but most of the game you can't rely on any premade paths.

Dishonored stealth and combat are easy mostly because the powers are OP.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Nigga please, have you even played the game or are you being hyperbolic just to hate on Dishonored? If you actually tried to play without blink or other powers, you'd see how wrong you are about the "obvious stealth paths". There are a few, yes, but most of the game you can't rely on any premade paths.

Dishonored stealth and combat are easy mostly because the powers are OP.

Stealth in Dishonored is shit with or without powers. We agree to disagree.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The funny thing is that Dishonored's systems lend themselves to a score attack style gameplay. Finding interesting ways to kill things is the meat of the game. Sadly it is wrapped around in the false dichtomy of stealth or combat and the story is either bland or painfully stupid.

The spy guy's plan of giving Ebola to poor people to eradicate poverty is probably a caricature of what left minded people think right minded people are like.

That being said I would totally play Tony Attano's Murder Park. The sequel is probably gonna be more of the same though. The setting is nice at least.

tormund

Arcane
Powers were the best, most unique part of Dishonored. Especially blink, and how it enhanced overall movement (don't forget that we are in age where even being able to freely jump is something of a rarity in action games).
I would hate it if they end up nerfing the powers for the sequel, or massively increasing their cooldown times and mana costs, due to all the complaints from "spergs", instead of trying to do a better job at balancing the level design and difficulty around them.

It's an easy game and the sequel is going to be easy too. Don't play it if things like map design, atmosphere, etc, aren't enough to carry you through a game. This is true for all good AAA games these days.

Re: killing things being the most fun gameplay yet increasing chaos

I think they should find a way to differentiate "acceptable casual killing" and "full blown massacres", with the latter increasing chaos much more. Obviously in practice the game does support letting you kill occasionally without getting into High Chaos, but is there a way to make that more clear to the player? For example, you could exponentially increase chaos depending on the number of people who were actually alerted by your killings, or make it so that you don't get that much chaos unless you massacre all the guards in a particular guard post. So a player who kills regularly but not thoroughly knows he's not going to get into too much trouble.

This. Otherwise, they should just forget about stealth, and make the new game about flipping out like a ninja and superpowers and shit. Fuck stealth, go full on X-Men fan fiction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom