Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - standalone adventure featuring Billie Lurk

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-19-dishonored-death-of-the-outsider

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider review
God bothering.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

A morbid, potent epilogue for Dishonored 2 equipped with new powers, some great locations and some overdue tweaks.

Deicide is one of gaming's more popular pastimes - not quite as popular as smashing pots for herbs but easily on par with say, fishing or amateur photography. Pretty much every JRPG worth its salt concludes with the party nobbling either a vengeful god or somebody who's on the verge of becoming one. Kratos can't get through brunch without beating some Olympian cousin to death with the waffle iron, and Bayonetta signs off by kicking the Creator squarely into the sun. Death of the Outsider is one of the subtler variations on the theme: Dishonored's take on divinity is, after all, more embroiled in the role divinity actually plays in society, a question of psychic archetypes and community bonding rituals, rather than multi-stage health bars and the ability to squirt thunder from your pinkie. To murder the Outsider, representative of the Void that yawns beneath the surface of Dishonored's tortured steampunk universe, isn't just to leave this realm without a king - it's to alter the very structure of the game's reality irrevocably, to the point of throwing the prospect of a threequel into enormous doubt.

It takes a certain sort of person to cut down a god. Voiced with steely menace by Rosario Dawson, Billie Lurk is just the right fit. She's been there from the beginning, an accomplice to regicide in the first game and its expansion, a reclusive and guilt-tormented onlooker in the second, and as Death of the Outsider begins, it's clear that she's had quite enough. Where Emily Kaldwin was a sophomore in both the art of assassination and the ethical quandaries of using violence to correct violence, Billie has slit hundreds of throats and been through the whole moral-choice dog-and-pony show multiple times over. Having plunged one city into darkness and helped salvage another, she's less bothered about who, in particular, is screwing over who and more with the underlying mythos that abets Dishonored's cycle of downfall and insurrection, of tyrants overthrowing tyrants. Even before a reunification with old mentor Daud, star of the Knife of Dunwall, sets her on the Outsider's trail, she comes across as a woman ready to leave this world behind. "It's quiet out here," Billie muses during the intro to the fifth and final mission. "Nothing but me and my thoughts." The Outsider, too, seems ready to wash his hands of the whole enterprise, appearing in visions before each mission to offer desultory commentary and suggest that, just possibly, killing him isn't the only way to bring this tale to a close.

jpg

As ever, heading for the heights is the easiest way to avoid detection, but Billie's new abilities make street-level stealth more viable.

From Billie's ruthless detachment as much as the expansion's smaller scope proceeds the decision to retire Dishonored's old Chaos/Order system, whereby wreaking havoc in each chapter would degrade the ambience and alter the challenge in subsequent areas. The consequence of the system's absence is, firstly, that you feel more free to let rip with Billie's arsenal of murderous traps, projectiles and sorcerous abilities - there's no longer a persistent world state to worry about, though in-game newspaper articles do keep track of your antics from level to level. Some of the secondary objectives you can accept from black market notice boards actively nudge you towards outright mayhem. There's the option of killing all but one enemy in the fourth mission to earn a special bonecharm, a task I undertook with relish, using the new hook mine to yank enemies into each other before immolating them with incendiary rounds from Billie's wristgun. But as you go on, the absence of Chaos/Order ultimately lends what decisions you do make about the fates of other characters more weight, because your interpretation arises purely from narrative context and detailing - from what NPCs write in diaries or letters, what they mutter when they think they're alone - rather than some over-arching, gamey contrivance.

Not being able to shape the scenery chops the replay value down a bit, but the equatorial alt-Victorian port of Karnaca remains a masterpiece of storied aesthetics and overlapping routes, worth dwelling on for much longer than the expansion's 10-15 hour playtime. Every nook and cranny is both an exquisite study in pomp or squalor and an infiltration opportunity of some sort. Poster-scabbed alleyways lead to buried trapdoors and sewer mouths. Dangling banners point the way up to balconies and perchable street lamps, while pipes snake invitingly around and into the masonry of fortified structures. There are dozens of lore documents to track down, and there are those secondary objectives (e.g. nicking a letter from a guard without raising the alarm) to spur exploration, but even without such rewards, you'll want to investigate every lit window, cellar or stairwell simply for the rancid luxuriance of the interior design - fat, creamy scrolls of peeling wallpaper, framed butterfly collections, torn and bloodied velvet upholstery, boilers and steam engines wheezing like cornered animals.

jpg

One of my favourite bone charms leaves a decoy behind you when you Displace, an echo of Emily's Doppelganger power. Disturbingly, the decoy appears to be caught in the act of throwing up. It's kind of like you're abandoning the drunkest member of a night out to face the wrath of the authorities.

Getting into these spaces is as fun as uncovering what they harbour. Billie's moveset is another reworking of Corvo's from the original game, one that puts the emphasis a little more on stealth and planning than pyrotechnics. Her version of Corvo's legendary Blink dash, Displace, drops a destination marker rather than just teleporting you instantly. This slows down traversal a notch, but allows you to prepare an escape route before making your move on a position; in a brilliantly macabre touch, it also deposits a pile of purple fleshy shards in your wake, suggesting that you are, in fact, eviscerating yourself every time you Displace. Billie's recon ability is Foresight, the Dishonored equivalent of a Tom Clancy UAV, which freezes time and lets you fly around the level within a certain range, mark people or objects on the HUD, travel through vents and plant a Displace marker somewhere you can't otherwise reach.

It's a bit rickety in practice - you can only reach a certain height using the ability relative to the terrain, so if you cruise off a ledge you'll plummet, and it's slightly annoying that you can't tag enemies by other means - but Foresight lends itself to some exhilarating combos, like placing a marker inside a barred office so you can warp behind a clerk without booting down the door. More exhilarating still is Semblance, Death of the Outsider's take on Hitman's social stealth system, which lets you pose as an NPC after knocking them unconscious, sucking the poor soul's face into the palm of your hand. The ability only drains Void energy when you move, so it's possible to halt and take stock (or lighten a few pockets) while strolling amongst unaware enemies. You can also deploy Semblance on a second target while in disguise, leaping from body to body like some tropical disease.

jpg

You're still scored per level on how stealthy or merciful you are, but it's purely a question of bragging rights - there don't appear to be any real story ramifications.

Dishonored's Void energy and role-playing subsystems have been cleverly overhauled. Energy now replenishes automatically after a few seconds, so top-up elixirs are no longer necessary - this means you'll spend less time foraging for resources, but still requires you to use your powers efficiently. There's no longer a fixed upgrade system - you're handed all three abilities after the game's intro mission, with a telekinetic force attack becoming available during the third. Instead, you'll tailor your approach using bone charms, most of them discovered in the world, which serve as either ingenious ability mods or simple stat buffs. You could spec for a lower profile, with charms that render you briefly invisible after Displacing and impair the eyesight of any guards you've marked with Foresight. You could equip a charm that lets you place a second Displace marker, in order to knife two opponents on either side of a room in swift succession, or you could boost your survivability with a charm that restores health when you land a blow.

In terms of the specific scenarios you'll apply these methods to, there's nothing in Death of the Outsider that's quite up there with Dishonored 2's terrific Clockwork Mansion, but the third mission's bank heist is a marvel, offering a choice of three opening access routes, a brush with a new model of Jindosh's Clockwork Soldier, and a mouth-watering collection of ways to use the bank's own security and PA systems against it. The fourth mission, meanwhile, is memorable for how it restructures one of the second game's levels, blocking off certain routes while exposing others and introducing different foes. If you're new to Dishonored, Death of the Outsider isn't a bad point of entry - there are video tutorials for each move, and the plot doesn't rely on knowledge of the first two games - but you'll definitely squeeze more out of these locations if you're familiar with their histories.

There aren't that many fresh faces among the NPC cast, but I enjoyed reacquainting myself with the Brigmore Witches, that once-formidable cult of swaggering, militant feminists, and their supercilious puritan adversaries the Overseers. Some of the story's sadder moments come when you overhear former witches - now reduced to scrapping in underground boxing rinks or acting as private security for illicit bars - mourn their lost abilities and fallen sisters. By comparison, the actual plot ends rather abruptly and in a way that doesn't, for my money, do justice to our long association with the Outsider as players or what he represents in Arkane's misbegotten cosmos. The final mission itself has a lot of promise - it borrows a conceit from Dishonored 2's Crack in the Slab, with a layout you'll experience in two variations, and offers some enticing insights as to the nature of the Void, but it doesn't play these ideas out as elaborately as I'd have liked.

jpg

If Billie's skills don't appeal, there's a New Game+ option that lets you replay the game with three Dishonored 2 abilities - Blink, Domino and Void Gaze.

In general, Death of the Outsider occasionally feels like a Dishonored 3 that hasn't quite become flesh and perhaps, never will, going by sales of the second game and of Arkane's most recent immersive sim, Prey. The trading of fixed upgrades for the flexibility of bone charms, streamlined energy system and dialing-back of Chaos/Order seem a foundation worthy of a grander tale, one that tugs a little harder on some of the dangling threads here - Billie's ability to listen to rats, for example, a promising rewrite of the Heart of Dunwall narrative mechanic that never really goes anywhere, or the mournful profundities of Dishonored's whales, which are referenced but not dwelt upon in the final area. There have been far, far worse finales, though, and erasing the god whose mystical gifts create the framework for a game of this sort is quite the way to drop the curtain. If only every series could meet its end so boldly, not simply raging against the dying of the light but taking a knife to its own shadow.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm only on the third mission, yet to actually get into the bank, but I have a few minor thoughts. I agree almost entirely with what you guys have posted earlier but I'll add my two cents:

Billie's voice actor is shit. She's fucking shit. I quite liked Billie in D1's dlc but in DOTO I feel like you could get more emotion from a Microsoft text-to-speech device. She doesn't really seem to care about anything and it's hard to really care about the story when the protagonist is like "yeah whatever I guess". I like Daud a lot but I can't help but feel he isn't as 'good' in this game as he was in his D1 DLC. Writing seems kinda poor in a lot of places. Any thoughts on this?

Enemy guards seem somewhat cunty; I'm playing on Hard but I don't remember D1 or D2's Very Hard difficulties being as difficult as this. It's kinda nice to have a challenge, sure, but it seems like there's just too many guards in certain places. Outside the bank in mission 3 is my main complaint. I don't like any of the new powers either so this makes it harder for me to sneak past them. Has anybody managed to use Semblance to any degree of success? I tried using Eolina's face to get into Shan Yun's house but I ran out of mana by the time the maid opened the door.

I can't imagine replaying this when I'm finished, either. It's just not terribly interesting or engaging. At least the Dishonored aesthetic is alive and well, I suppose.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
This game is not selling so well on Steam.

:negative:
That's fine. The devs don't want gamers to be their audience anyway.

No doubt the many, many women who want to play these sorts of games will start buying Dishonored: Death of the Outsider any minute now.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game is not selling so well on Steam.

:negative:
That's fine. The devs don't want gamers to be their audience anyway.

No doubt the many, many women who want to play these sorts of games will start buying Dishonored: Death of the Outsider any minute now.
Apparently sjw doesn't sell.I am curious if they will go the way of Eidos montreal and bioware montreal.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
This game has no SJW references you idiots. Just bad writing.
SJW's are responsible for it's bad writing.

Which is hardly the only problem.
It's an aggressively mediocre experience all-around, and more importantly, it's not particularly different compared to past iterations which were similarly bland.
Dishonored 2 and DOTO may as well be DLC for the first game.

People's time is better spent doing something else.

Edit: SJW devs also pissed off a good part of the potential playbase, which was my original point, but whatever.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
A mediocre Dishonored is still lightyears better than having Arkane making some shitty Doom clone next.

There are already 2 mediocre Dishonored games and respective DLC options available. The world doesn't need more.

It's not like Arkane really has to continue making games if they're not going to be all that interesting to begin with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A mediocre Dishonored is still lightyears better than having Arkane making some shitty Doom clone next.

There are already 2 mediocre Dishonored games and respective DLC options available. The world doesn't need more.

It's not like Arkane really has to continue making games if they're not going to be all that interesting to begin with.
Better stop before the sjw crowd gets very angry.For now they are only throwing faeces at anyone who have different opinion.Who know maybe they will try and dox us if we continue to piss in their echo cambers.

RapineDel

Augur
If Bethesda had of let them just make an outright stealth game, maybe they would've found an audience. Instead of half assing the best of both worlds they should've been allowed to focus on their strengths with competent and appropriate marketing that reflected that. If Wolfenstein and TEW2 do better then Arkane's games over the last 12 months I think there will be a serious shift. It's a pity, because the people at Arkane even now have some talent particularly when it comes to level design but I don't think we'll ever see the full extent of that.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If Bethesda had of let them just make an outright stealth game, maybe they would've found an audience. Instead of half assing the best of both worlds they should've been allowed to focus on their strengths with competent and appropriate marketing that reflected that. If Wolfenstein and TEW2 do better then Arkane's games over the last 12 months I think there will be a serious shift. It's a pity, because the people at Arkane even now have some talent particularly when it comes to world design but I don't think we'll ever see the full extent of that.
I would like to see them try making new Thief game,only if they find some decent writer and not some blogger or twittermeister.

Drakron

Arcane
This game has no SJW references you idiots. Just bad writing.

I suspect the low sales are due to Dishonored 2 technical issues and that this was based a plot hook for a sequel and they rushed it out as a way to recoup from Dishonored 2 so people would be weary about it, people might be stupid and have short memory but this come out too soon for people to forget Dishonored 2, especially when everyone realized this is nothing but DLC being sold as a standalone game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-death-of-the-outsider-review/

DISHONORED: DEATH OF THE OUTSIDER REVIEW

I'm in a bank vault, up to my waist in water. This is still, technically, a 'ghost' run. No alarms have been sounded. But the hole in the roof above suggests a different story—one of planning, mild carnage, and 'oh, what happens if I do this?' Death of the Outsider's third mission is a standout heist that shows Dishonored's semi-directed design at its best. It's not necessarily my favourite thing about this standalone expansion—we'll get to that—but the dense network of possibilities and routes is as good as anything found in Dishonored 2.

Breaking into Karnaca's most secure bank is just another step in protagonist Billie Lurk's plan to kill the Outsider. Lurk, having cast off her assumed identity as the captain of the Dreadful Wale, reunites with her former mentor and frenemy Daud. The aging assassin enlists Billie's help for one last job: bumping off the black-eyed emo god-being at the heart of the Void. As in Dishonored's DLCs, The Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, Death of the Outsider isn't about Corvo or Emily, (at least beyond the fact that, to Daud's mind, they too were pawns in the Outsider's game). But it is important to the world at large. This is an epilogue.

The nature of Billie's task, and the nature of Billie herself, means that Death of the Outsider diverges from the standard template of a Dishonored campaign. To be clear, much here is familiar—it's an expansion after all. But Billie's road to the ultimate assassination doesn't involve a hit list of rich jerks. It can—you're free to kill pretty much everyone you meet, with no Chaos system to punish you for it. But for the most part, your targets are information and items.

Billie's powers are different, too, in that they aren't granted through one of the Outsider's offers. Rather, they're drawn directly from the Void. In practical terms, it means they recharge over time, with no need to scour for vials of magical blue juice. Your range of powers are more limited than in previous games, but interesting nonetheless. Displace is the Blink variant, with the notable difference that you can place a marker and then—as long as you have line of sight—choose when to teleport to it.

This has a number of uses, not least as an easy method of escape if a fight goes bad. For instance, it combos with Foresight, which lets Billie stop time and scan the nearby area. While looking around with Foresight, you can place a Displace marker, potentially letting you teleport through grates and fences. But these specific instances aside, Displace is most frequently used to move between high ledges and reach other hard to access areas. I'm actually a little underwhelmed by how it feels. It's a small thing, but the extra mouse click required to accurately warp to a place makes supernatural movement feel less snappy and satisfying.

Billie's best power is Semblance, which lets you steal the face of an unconscious NPC. It's useful because Billie is a wanted woman, and guards will attack on sight—even out on the street. Walking confidently through a courtyard full of guards is a different kind of empowerment to that offered by Dishonored's typically more direct and murderous abilities. Semblance enables some specific interactions, too, like an auction you can only participate in if you're wearing the face of a civilian. It's not perfect, however—there are so many characters that inevitably some permutations aren't accounted for. At one point, I used Semblance on a shop owner who had a captive locked up in her basement—just to see what would happen. Unfortunately, nothing. The captive reacted as if I was Billie.

Crucially, these powers aren't direct attacks (not unless you Displace into an enemy, leading to their gruesomely messy demise). Instead, Billie is more reliant on her tools—including the entertaining new hook mines, which can grab enemies and fling them into walls, floors or even other people. To balance this, there are no runes to collect. Your powers work just as well at the start of the game as at the end. Instead, your money is spent on new bone charms and gear upgrades, both of which enable some powerful playstyles. In a longer game, the reduced toolset might feel stale. But, across the ten hours Death of the Outsider took me to complete, I never felt short of options.

These new powers, tools and small tweaks sit well in environments that are more directly comparable to Dishonored 2. Once again, you'll be exploring densely packed areas, full of detail, side stories, and money to pilfer. New for Death of the Outsider is a contracts system, which lets you pick up optional objectives from the black market. Some will take you to areas off the critical path. Others will challenge you to play in a specific way—make it through an area without alerting a soul, or murder all but one specific person. It's a fun extra that makes the most of Arkane's level design.

Some will no doubt balk at how two of this expansion's five missions take place in the same district. Personally, though, I welcomed the opportunity to return to the scene of the crime. Upper Cyria, the area in question, feels large and full of things to do on your first visit. While my return was far shorter having learned the layout, it was gratifying to see, for instance, how the black market responded to my earlier break in. Also, the second visit ends in that bank heist, so it's hard to feel hard done by.

A theme running throughout Death of the Outsider is of return and reevaluation. My favourite thing wasn't a mission or an individual section but the chance to see the world react to the events of Dishonored 2, and from a new perspective. It frequently shines new light on characters from throughout the series. Billie, obviously, and the Outsider, of course. But also the groups that you, as various protagonists, have previously encountered. The first few missions offer hints that the witches—powerful, late game enemies in Dishonored 2—are now desperate and vulnerable, scrabbling to regain a scrap of the power they once held.

Later on, Billie visits the Royal Conservatory. Once a witch stronghold, it's now held by the Abbey of the Everyman. The Abbey has always been antagonistic to each Dishonored character's Outsider-blessed adventures, but here, in the basement where the remaining witches are held captive, their malice is brought into focus. The combination of their wanton cruelty, Billie's personal connection to the witches, and Death of the Outisder's relaxation of the Chaos system culminated in bloodshed, as I abandoned a non-lethal approach that had persisted over two games. It was a convergence of story and systems to create a meaningful and justifiable switch in the way I was playing.

Death of the Outsider's story works best when it's toying with the morality of its factions and characters, and offering a different context for their actions. That strikes at the heart of the central objective: killing the Outsider. Daud's obsession with his death comes from a place of righteousness—of railing against his acceptance of what he now views as a Faustian pact. But Death of the Outsider also challenges that assumption. There are no heroes here, and everyone's reasons—even if they're ostensibly selfless—are put under a spotlight. Even the rats are recontextualised. Once the source of Dishonored's plague, now they appear as a cryptic ally who Billie can consult for advice and, more frequently, musings about biting and chewing.

Nonetheless, there's a lot to pack in. By focusing on Daud and Billie's personal goals, the ultimate truth of the Eyeless—the cult that Billie goes up against in her search for the Outsider—feels rushed. The final revelations are crammed into the confines of the final mission. There's a lot to unpack here, and it results in a dense delivery of cryptic clues that feel better suited for multiple missions—especially when key lines of dialogue are in danger of being missed, or wiped out by an errant sticky grenade. While I'm griping, that final mission also introduces a new enemy type—an irritatingly tough new foe that doesn't follow the general rules of killing a Dishonored enemy, while also being more mobile and more numerous than the Clockwork Soldiers.

Such small grievances add up, and do take some of the shine off an otherwise accomplished slice of freeform stealth action. When Death of the Outsider is at its best, though, it's a worthy accompaniment to the series at large. It's full of enjoyable new encounters and scenarios, offers new perspectives on characters and events, and, through its audacious central goal, caps off the existing Dishonored storyline in style.

Disclaimer: One of the writers for Death of the Outsider, Hazel Monforton, is a contributor to PC Gamer.

THE VERDICT

DISHONORED: DEATH OF THE OUTSIDER
Not as consistently intricate or surprising as Dishonored 2, but still a worthy epilogue that adds depth and atmosphere to the series' world.

I would like to see them try making new Thief game,only if they find some decent writer and not some blogger or twittermeister.

Nah, that would suck. Arkane cannot into sound design and atmosphere. More games in the vein of Prey, however, would be great. That one is legitimately fun to play even if you get too OP by the end. Closest any game has come to System Shock 2 so far.

Arkane cannot into sound design and atmosphere

:retarded:

If you really think any Arkane game since Dishonored has strong atmosphere and good sound design you are legitimately fucking retarded. That includes Prey, which I liked a lot for its gameplay and exploration. You really think these people are capable of coming anywhere close to recreating sound feedback or atmosphere of Thief games?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well other Arkane certainly had sound design/engineering problems with Prey, but the aesthetic in this one is great. Regarding Dishonored 2's optimization issues, I think Death of the Outsider ran a fuckton better for me. It was 60FPS or close to it most of the time on full settings. The only time it would ever briefly freeze was oddly enough when it was loading in HUD elements, presumably. If I was selecting the weapon in slot 1, for example, it would freeze just a bit whenever I brought up the selection strip. But if I spammed the 1 key a few times, I guess it would finally load everything into the memory and play smoothly. Same with the weapon wheel.

Anyway I played it again and killed everyone I saw, and it was more fun, though some aspects of combat are clunky for the kind of lethality that enemies exhibit on Very Hard. I'm still not sure if there's a proper way to slide or parry that I'm not getting, for example, or if sometimes they just don't work. Other times, enemies seemed to shift positions when they weren't supposed to. In one particularly bad case, someone I was fighting moved right through me and stabbed me in the back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nah, that would suck. Arkane cannot into sound design and atmosphere. More games in the vein of Prey, however, would be great. That one is legitimately fun to play even if you get too OP by the end. Closest any game has come to System Shock 2 so far.
Still it can't be worst than Thief 2014.... beh i feel like vomiting.Arkane's sound is pretty mediocre,also the lighting is not very good.Most of the detections are about line of sight than environment detection.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I really do believe the atmosphere in the Dishonored series is excellent. There is a lot of subtle little things that add a lot, from the very strong art direction and little sounds to the great lighting. Even if the sound technology is absolute rubbish compared to Thief's — like 99% of games released before and since anyway —, the sound design itself is fantastic. You should really play with headphones. I was replaying 2 the other day after beating Death of the Outsider and the atmosphere in the Royal Conservatory for example is just crazy good, with a lot of subtle drones especially in the offices on the second floor. The Duke's palace is also one of the most atmospheric locations I can think of in recent memory. I wasn't very sold on Karnaca before release but I think it's a more interesting direction than the very north Europe-looking Dunwall now.

Also yeah, to echo what sexbad says regarding performance, Death of the Outsider runs better than Dishonored 2 overall on my rig. Exact same settings, but I get framerate drops in a few locations in Dishonored 2 while I had a constant 60 with Death of the Outsider.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom