Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by catfood, Oct 1, 2012.

1. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    So I have FINALLY managed to beat it after more than a month. Fuck, this game is so shitty.

The character system is shit. Skills are divied into two sperate and distinct categories: the ones that are so good you'd be retarded not to put points in, and the ones that are so bad you'd be retarded to even spend a single point in. Oh, yeah, there's the oddball skills just like Diablo 2 where putting one point in them is a must, but putting any more is a a complete waste. I finished the at about level 48 with an excess of 10+ skill points. Terrible.

The combat is shit. Just hold down the attack button and win. Oh sure, sometimes you might meet a boss and might need to pause the game and drink a healing potion, but most of the time it's "hold down ctrl to autolock on the nearest traget and keep the left mouse button pressed to win". Almost as bad as Diablo.

The encounter design is shit. Basically there is none. The areas are populated with a set number of critters. That's it. You either mow through them like a hot knife through butter, or they rape your ass and it means you have to move to another area. And those fucking last to areas man. What a pointless time sink those were. You are given two HUGE maps and what to the developers do with them? Add some nice quests, NPC's, or towns? Nope. Just copy paste groups of creatures everywhere and you're done. Yay! Game design must be so easy! Anyone can do it!

but despite that...

I've had so much fun with this game.

Because despite the fact that the bad parts are BAD, the good parts are also GOOD.

The first map is great, depite it's repetitive encounter design. It has a buttload of quests, a ton of NPC's, lots and lots of secrets and quirks, good writing with a great sense of humour, lots of stuffto see and explore and collect, the ability to interract with the environment, move objects around and to mix potions. This first area of the game reminded me of an isometric Morrowind.

I see myself replaying it after some time has passed, but I don't see myself finishing it due to the shittines of the last portion of the game. I have not finished all the quests and I chose not to use a walkthrough so I can have some new things to do when I play it again. My only regret is that I was never been able to find Otho and his pigs. :(

I'm really excited about Divinity Original Sin. If they add all of the good things from DD and try and minimize the bad (honestly I'm not that bummed about the fucked up character system, but that idiotic encounter "design" has to go) it could turn out a future Codex classic.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. :bro:

I finished it once and since since then I have been afraid of trying it out again.

^ Top  
  3. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    I could never progress that far due to how crappy I found the skill system to be. It's a shame since I loved the world design, quest design and music. Everything else clicked well together. Now that I think of it, Divinity 2 suffered from an equally lame skill system.. and had the same strengths as well.

^ Top  
  4. Dude I was so put off by Divine divinity I still can't try beyond divinity even after getting it for FREE on Greenman gaming.

^ Top  
  5. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I had fun playing Divine Divinity, although I wouldn't play it a second time. Captain Shrek is absolutely right not to touch Beyond Divinity. I regret playing to its completion, as the narrator is one of your two characters and sounds like a parody of the Ultimate Warrior. Seriously, the worst part of Beyond Divinity was the horrible voice acting followed by the predictable railroad of a plot.

^ Top  
  6. Yoshiyyahu Arcane Patron

Yoshiyyahu
    [​IMG]

Looks exactly like Diablo. Wouldn't Blizzard flip their shit and sue over this?

I played this and remember the camera angle/view being incredibly ugly, so I never got further than the cellar thing you start in lol. For some reason, it never looked like the google image screenshots did :C

^ Top  
  7. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Since I play now all RPGs I should play in past but didn't I will try this shit after Jade Empire and Realms of Arcania 3 and Deus Ex 1 bought from GOG. Heck I almost completed Inquisitor and this game had terrible combat made by Evil Demons and Heretics no doubt.

^ Top  
  8. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Same here. Looked ugly and while I would gladly welcome many X-Com or Wizardry clones, there's only enough room for one Diablo in my heart.

^ Top  
  9. TheNizzo Educated

TheNizzo
    This and Two Worlds are absolute shit but really fun to break

^ Top  
  10. ohWOW Sucking on dicks and being proud of it Dumbfuck Queued

ohWOW
    catfood is shit

^ Top  
  11. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So it has enough Storyfaggotery and exploration bonanza to suffer Diablo Combat or Cartfood is gipsing us up?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. It's damn fun early and mid-way in the same way the Gothic games were fun. Getting your ass kicked by wandering off a few steps in the wrong direction. Getting one-shot by a monster in the starter (!) dungeon. HUGE gameworld, tons of quests with a good dose of C&C, tons of stuff to kill and loot to plunder.

Then it sort of becomes too easy when you reach the mid-20s (in the same way the Gothics became too easy once you passed a certain power threshold), or meta-game (which you can easily avoid), but until then it's 100% five-star RPG fun time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Why do people keep saying "Diablo" when they really mean "Diablo 2"?
    :hmmm:
    Time to play Divinity 2 if you haven't already.

^ Top  
  15. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    What are the last two areas? I'm in Dark Forest now, is that one of them?

^ Top  
  16. dibens as seen on shoutbox Patron

dibens
    Personally, I thought Divine Divinity had one of the prettiest, even if simple, 2d sprite graphics around. The water ripples and reflections, the hand-drawn detail put into minuscule things, fog. Add to that the ability to interact with the world you can't in most 2d games, a decent music score, exploration, quests and you have a great gem in your hands.

[​IMG]

Then take that gem and chip away the shit skill system and repetitive combat and you'll have a flawed gem of a game.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  17. Yoshiyyahu Arcane Patron

Yoshiyyahu
    If it was like that, then i would've had absolutely no problems. Maybe I fucked up the resolution or something.

^ Top  
  18. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    I also think Arcanum looks ugly. I hate the sprites in both games and the scenery is pretty bland. It's totally personal though, "ugly or not" is nothing but a matter of taste.

^ Top  
  19. I'd definitely give it another try if I were you man. The game definitely has its charm, the whole graphics/art especially on-the-ground thing looks like it was done with love and attention *cringe* but it's true. The starting dungeon is definitely an abomination art-wise though, you have to persevere there somehow.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    I liked "dress up" part in Two Worlds 2. Great clothing, and it had incredible, and realistic, looking style.

There is no starting dungeon.

^ Top  
  21. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Personally I think it's one of the better looking games from that time period and has aged extremely well.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. Black Arcane

Black
    Best shit game I've played was hands down Dink Smallwood.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    DD is a pretty good looking game, sort of like a weird mix of Arcanum and Diablo 1 (and bits of 2). A later example is Eschalon, that one is more Vogelian.

No way I'll ever go back and replay this, it's not a very good game, but it was very very fun when I did play it the first time. :mystary:

^ Top  
  24. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've reached about the halfway point of this game back in them days, but later lost my save and could not gather the courage to try again. Not yet anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    The game is very fun if you avoid the neverending shit combat. I gave up on combat after slaying the millionth orc - hex edited my char, and ran past every mob that wasn't a must.
    The endgame (everything after the big council event) is also quite shit - just end the game right there.

I expect Original Sin to be a quasi-remake. With it being turn-based, there will hopefully be less trash combat too (wouldn't bet on it, however).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)