Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

Kukulkan

Learned
Tried the game but a bug ended further progress. Massive length is somewhat discouraging me from attempting another playthrough. Game does look pretty though.

Murk

Arcane
I can't be bothered to type out long defensive arguments, but I'll just say this -- out of any game I've ever played, cRPG or not, Divinity 1 has the absolute most character, charm, and "soul" a game can have -- and an amazing music score. I have incredibly fond memories of just stumbling on all kinds of quirky things, like genocidal sentient sword-ghosts, existentially unfulfilled dragon riders, and random errant knights just trying to make the world a better place, hostage situations, and illusion laden dungeons made to just fuck with your head. It's the best "high fantasy" setting I've ever seen that didn't completely trip over its own bullshit. And the atmosphere is great too ;D

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This and Two Worlds are absolute shit but really fun to break
I liked "dress up" part in Two Worlds 2. Great clothing, and it had incredible, and realistic, looking style.

Two Worlds 1 is an entirely different beast than Two Worlds 2.

TW2 is an average ARPG with a few neat features (weapon upgrade system, magic system's kind of neat, a unique Africa/China setting).

Two Worlds 1, however, is a piece of shit in nearly every way. One of the worst games I've ever played.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
DD is a pretty good looking game, sort of like a weird mix of Arcanum and Diablo 1 (and bits of 2). A later example is Eschalon, that one is more Vogelian.

No way I'll ever go back and replay this, it's not a very good game, but it was very very fun when I did play it the first time. :mystary:

You mean Eschalon Book? I played the second one and I liked the mechanics and all that but there was like 5 quests in the whole game and all of them were boring. Is the first one better or pretty much the same thing?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's damn fun early and mid-way in the same way the Gothic games were fun. Getting your ass kicked by wandering off a few steps in the wrong direction. Getting one-shot by a monster in the starter (!) dungeon. HUGE gameworld, tons of quests with a good dose of C&C, tons of stuff to kill and loot to plunder.

Then it sort of becomes too easy when you reach the mid-20s (in the same way the Gothics became too easy once you passed a certain power threshold), or meta-game (which you can easily avoid), but until then it's 100% five-star RPG fun time.
This.
:bro:

I also think Arcanum looks ugly. I hate the sprites in both games and the scenery is pretty bland. It's totally personal though, "ugly or not" is nothing but a matter of taste.
Both their starting areas are ugly and poorly designed. DD is definitely more pretty than Arcanum, but Arcanum also has muche better looking areas after a while. I hope you didn't drop it at the first area too.

Regvard

Arcane
It's been about 10 years since I played this and remember really liking it. It still looks pretty too.

Never played the sequels though. Is the order DD-->BD--> DD2?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
DD is definitely more pretty than Arcanum, but Arcanum also has muche better looking areas after a while. I hope you didn't drop it at the first area too.
Oh no, I finished Arcanum alright. The game was very interesting, enough so that I finished it despite not loving the visuals. No way I'll do that for a pure hack'n'slash game.

catfood

AGAIN
DD is definitely more pretty than Arcanum, but Arcanum also has muche better looking areas after a while. I hope you didn't drop it at the first area too.
Oh no, I finished Arcanum alright. The game was very interesting, enough so that I finished it despite not loving the visuals. No way I'll do that for a pure hack'n'slash game.
It's not a hack'n'slash game. It's an impure hack'n'slash game. Which is one of it's faults, it's too schyzophrenic.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Fuck, I've been holding off playing this game until Larian patches the fucking music bug (overworld plays the same couple of songs on repeat instead of the multitude of songs it should in different areas), but since months have passed since the steam release and no fix in sight, I guess I should just start playing..

Statik

Educated
Is it worth the 5 euro on steam? I randomly stumbled upon it a month or so ago and almost bought it because of the cheapass price, but my inner stingy prick side manifested itself and I eventually decided against it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Except for the combat and maybe the character and equipment system, there is nothing about DD that makes it into a hack'n'slash or Diablo-like. I always find it very strange when people say it's essentially a Diablo clone when the only thing that is is the combat; overall, it felt more like an Ultima VII to me.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Combat is OK. It's very simple, but it's not "easy" - you still need to think about resource conservation, picking an effective character build and positioning yourself in group encounters. You can't just click everything to death either until you reach the later stages of the game, a lot of monster will destroy you if you approach them head-on. Early game in particular is a lot about survival. You will die a *lot* if it's your first time.

It's more satisfying than the Diablos (1, 2) as well IMO, since XP and loot are cheap and plentiful and character progression is fast but not *too* fast.

It's got tons of cities, towns, villages, people to talk to and quests to do (with multiple ways to solve them, usually - with vastly different gold/xp rewards)... Unlike Diablo clones where every level is basically the same with upgraded monsters and loot, DD is chock-full with unique locations and quests that trigger in seemingly random spots encouraging you to explore 100% of the map. Not to mention the beautiful soundtrack.

Except for the combat and maybe the character and equipment system, there is nothing about DD that makes it into a hack'n'slash or Diablo-like. I always find it very strange when people say it's essentially a Diablo clone when the only thing that is is the combat; overall, it felt more like an Ultima VII to me.

Agreed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yes, it did feel like a ultima transplanted into a diablo.

U7 (pt 2) has a better setting, but DD has better quests (really). Thinking this is only a hack'n'slash is a large mistake, though i guess you could get that idea from the large maps full of enemies to kill.
Combat can be... made irrelevant though *cough*

It does fall apart in the last two maps (last one in particular is horrid). The ending cinematic didn't make break the disc in half though.

Phineas

Educated
I don't think Larian is going to fix the skills and inventory considering the cult following that the Divinity series has. As another user mentioned, it felt a whole lot like Ultima VII and I think its potential could've been reached had Larian not injected an unnecessary load of Diablo II's combat, inventory, & tiresome abliguritionin to it. As for Original Sin, it looks phenomenal to say the least; the turn based combat, game world (this series always been exceptional at this), & innovative dialogue system all look to make it a Game of the Year contender along with Wasteland 2, Dead State, and others.

Phelot

Arcane

Actually, yeah, good comparison and it certainly seems like Larian had more plans with the game considering how many items there are and the little interactive stuff you can do like filling jars with honey or filling a tankard with beer. Would have liked to see more of that, actually. I have no life and I must LARP.

Black Shogun

Educated
I could never progress that far due to how crappy I found the skill system to be. It's a shame since I loved the world design, quest design and music. Everything else clicked well together. Now that I think of it, Divinity 2 suffered from an equally lame skill system.. and had the same strengths as well.

:bravo:

CorpseZeb

Learned
Two Worlds 1 is an entirely different beast than Two Worlds 2. TW2 is an average ARPG with a few neat features (weapon upgrade system, magic system's kind of neat, a unique Africa/China setting). Two Worlds 1, however, is a piece of shit in nearly every way. One of the worst games I've ever played.

Uhm. On the contrary. RPG "mechanics" that stands behind TwT2 is almost (or it is) identical (with minor differences like building new stuff or such) to the one used in the TwT1, but rest is just dumbed down (for example you don't need skills for horse ridding and horse fighting, what was a pretty important factor for low-level PC in TwT1). TwT2 is much easier and has much smaller world, in fact so small and linear, that you even barely see non scaling enemies in the action...(and non scaling enemies was a first nice thing that all players seen in TwT1). TwT2 is pretty as lady dressed in the latex, but not so good and not really sexy as the first game - in terms of pure RPG fun.

Unfortunately, both games suffers equally from idiotic background story and horrible dialogs. I always wonder, what can be done based on their "RPG engine" with much less graphomania and with much more care about created world and proper story.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am in my middle twenties levels and fight against boses is still fun and dangerous, partly cause I play with warrior not Mage or Machine gun Man Survivor and allocate skills more for RP than Meta gaming, turning my warrior into Paladin/Mage Hunter and partly cause in this random stat loot system finding equipment good for Melee build is difficult. This is third game after Drakensang 2 and Jade Empire which Codex Bros recomended me which makes wasting time among you Heretics, Mutants and Xenos worthwile. :salute:

I never got further than the cellar thing you start in lol.
Same here. Looked ugly and while I would gladly welcome many X-Com or Wizardry clones, there's only enough room for one Diablo in my heart.

Seriously? That's like...one room. And cellars aren't supposed to look pretty...

But how would you know? You didn't even get out of...why would you...I...what is this i dont even

Kukulkan

Learned
It's kinda stupid to judge a game not worth playing solely on the first short area you start in. At least do a few quests in the town Vazdru.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I went a bit further than just the cellar itself stricto sensu. I played a bit of the starting town. It was enough to know that it didn't click with me. It's a game, as in optional recreation, I'm supposed to play it if I feel like it. I don't.
I'm not saying that it's not worth playing, just that the "genre" of the game isn't one I particularly like, and the little I played gave me no inclination to play it any further. Were it a turn based combat game I might have kept on despite the lack of love for the atmosphere...

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
If I had picked up DD when it was originally released, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. There is a lot more to it than any stupid Diablo clone, but they stuffed too damn many enemies in there for no reason other than cannon fodder. I grew bored after completing most of the quests in the second town.

If the world had fewer trash enemies or better than shit skills... I probably would have finished it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom