Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Fallen Heroes is an Original Sin 2 tactics spinoff co-developed by Logic Artists

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Fallen Heroes; Larian Studios; Logic Artists

Wow! It was just the other day that LESS T_T spotted three new domain names that Larian had registered last week. With PAX East coming up it seemed like an announcement couldn't be far off, and indeed it was not. Today Larian announced Divinity: Fallen Heroes, a mission-based tactics spinoff set after the events of Divinity: Original Sin 2. In Fallen Heroes, the origin characters from Original Sin 2 join together once again to confront a new threat looming over Rivellon, only this time they'll be fighting alongside squads of generic troops. Larian are classifying Fallen Heroes as a tactics game with RPG elements rather than a full RPG, but it will also feature decision-making sequences inspired by Dragon Commander. The really cool thing is that the game is being co-developed by none other than Logic Artists, developers of the underrated Expeditions series, who have apparently been keeping themselves busy. So here's the announcement trailer and press release:

Developed as a co-production with Danish studio Logic Artists, Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a new standalone game in the Divinity: Original Sin 2 universe. Fallen Heroes marries rich tactical gameplay with RPG choices and consequences, and introduces a wealth of new features and mechanics to the D:OS 2 engine. It will be released on multiple platforms later in the year.

Delve deeper into the world of Rivellon as you command your troops aboard the Lady Vengeance. Explore new lands and wield new weapons and skills. Build your squad and vanquish never-before seen corners of Rivellon. Divinity: Fallen Heroes features two player cooperative play as well as a single player mode.

A new threat looms over Rivellon. Lead aboard the Lady Vengeance and enlist the help of new and existing heroes. Join Malady, Fane, Ifan, Lohse, Sebille, Red Emperor and Beast in a tactical game with all the depth of an RPG.

Aboard the Lady Vengeance, manage your crew through diplomacy. Your choices affect everything. Lose faith and you lose heroes. Rally your troops, and you restore hope.

Vanquish the deserts of the Lizard Empire and the snowy climate of the Dwarven Kingdom. Master a revised combat system and take on over 60 missions with narrative objectives where your decisions greatly affect the story.
  • Gunpower comes to Divinity. Lock’n’load with an arsenal of guns and rifles.
  • Oil, Fire, Ice, Water and Poison surfaces are joined by the new Sulfurium surface, affecting hero positioning on the battlefield.
  • Play with mysterious hero character Malady for the first time in a Divinity game, as well as an all-new character. Or take control of the famous Godwoken.
  • Select from 30+ different unit types to create the perfect squad, and equip them with over 200 skills.
  • Decide which technology to research and what artefacts to obtain to give your troops that extra oomph.
  • Simultaneous Co-op Gameplay allowing you to take turns and combine abilities at the same time.
  • Unlock devastating source powers for your flying battleship, The Lady Vengeance, that will turn the tide of battle.
  • Recruit unique veteran troops, but be careful: if you lose them in battle, they are gone for good.
  • Optional objectives and challenges will push your tactical acumen to its limits.
An early version of Divinity: Fallen Heroes will be playable at PAX East in Boston, March 28th, to allow the development team to gather feedback from the community. Hands-on for press can be organised.

Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer have published previews of Fallen Heroes. Both sites mention that combat now uses an XCOM-like turn order rather than Original Sin 2's controversial round-robin system, so that's good news. Perhaps at PAX East this weekend we'll learn whether the game addresses its predecessor's other flaws as well.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
So many cool announcements these days. At least something of these tittles should be good. I'm betting on Divinity here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like Larian and I (mostly) loved D:OS combat.
Still, going by the trailer this looks like "Recycled Assets: The Official Game".
So what? Assets can be used only once, in one game?
Devs aren't usually shitting gold bricks :lol:

Anyway, I truly hope they are making encounters better than in Expeditions: Vikings. In that game, the initiative system (all your guys, then all their guys, or vice versa) made many encounters either way too easy or super frustrating.
If they want to do better, they need to start combat parties further apart.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't say I am super-excited about this announcement, but it may turn out to be good. And this means that Larian is working on Divinity 3 or whatever the new big RPG will be called.

Thonius

Arcane
Lets be honest here frens. DOS2 got same map structure as bethestard games theme park island with retarded exploration. Itemization of MMORPG " WOW +2% to damage! NOW I'm GONNA SHOW EM!" Retarded story - some village idiot that you kill in Dos 1 becomes big bad. Dialogs written in tongue in cheek style ( more like retarded). And combat system that's just necrofire everywhere. Such a gem!

So what? Assets can be used only once, in one game?
"So" nothing. I'ts just a fact.
You could give me this trailer and say it's a patched-in new game mode for DOS 2 and I would believe you.

Which doesn't mean I won't keep an eye on it; it's just... Not that new, fresh and exciting?

I take it, you didn't like Fallout 2 then? :P
My favorite Fallout and one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
Still, it recycled even used toilet paper from the previous game.

Not sure what's your point. I never said I "won't like this" in the first place.

You do realize it's possible to like something and still have some criticism about it, right?
Just because I think someone is a nice person I don't have to say their shit may taste good, too.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
So it's basically D:OS 2 without dialogs and quests. Sounds good!

You'll be able to talk with your crew in-between missions.

Anyway, I truly hope they are making encounters better than in Expeditions: Vikings. In that game, the initiative system (all your guys, then all their guys, or vice versa) made many encounters either way too easy or super frustrating.
If they want to do better, they need to start combat parties further apart.

The meat of the gameplay is about the encounters, so we're spending a lot of time on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom