Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Divinity: Fallen Heroes - canceled tactical spinoff from Expeditions series devs

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Larian's writers are handling most of
Burn it with fire.

:negative:
I don't know what happened with them,they used to have decent writing in their older games. Now it is just trash.

DOS2 has one of the best stories I've ever seen in an RPG. It was light hearted and fun.

Just because it wasn't a completely serious epic heart-wrenching story doesn't mean it was shit

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never played Dragon Commander because of the derpy RTS combat, glad to see this might correct that original design error.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I just got off the phone with Swen and here's what he told me.

Larian is working on a Dungeons and Dragons licence game
This Fallen Heroes side project is being released in September
After the Fallen Heroes and DND games are finished, they're going to make Divinity 3, potentially under a different title

I would make a thread about this but none of you would believe me anyway

Salvo

Arcane
I just got off the phone with Swen and here's what he told me.

Larian is working on a Dungeons and Dragons licence game
This Fallen Heroes side project is being released in September
After the Fallen Heroes and DND games are finished, they're going to make Divinity 3, potentially under a different title

I would make a thread about this but none of you would believe me anyway

I believe you :love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-fa...n-tactics-game-with-choices-and-consequences/

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a story-driven tactics game with choices and consequences
The switch in genres doesn't mean story and consequences are being flung out.

SPB2Wa3MhspKqayzGVaEgV-320-80.png

The next Divinity game, though it features a lot of returning Original Sin 2 characters, isn't a freewheeling, sandboxy RPG. Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a tactics game, but it retains a lot of RPG sensibilities, including being driven by a story with plenty of choices and consequences. It's going to be just as important here as it was in Original Sin 2.

"In our game, story will define everything that happens in the missions, and everything that happens in the missions will define the story," Larian's Swen Vincke tells us. "And from this, Fallen Heroes was born."

Fallen Heroes is set after Original Sin 2, with Lucian the Divine making a surprise return and commanding players to arrest Malady, who you'll probably remember from the last game, but who is now playable.

"She has stolen powerful doomsday weapons from the Divine Order, and they're afraid she'll use the in a fit of anger," says Vincke. "But things are not what they seem."

If you don't know anything about the Original Sin series or Divinity and just want to play a new tactics game, you shouldn't end up lost. While returning players might get something more out of it, the story itself is a standalone adventure.

"People who haven't played Divinity will be able to enjoy it," says Vincke. "But we really wanted to continue with the characters we'd developed in Original Sin 2. We like them, fans like them. Fans will love that you can now control Malady in battle. If you played Original Sin 2 it'll feel like coming home. But if you haven't, you'll meet a bunch of interesting characters."

You'll be able to find out a lot more about Divinity: Fallen Heroes in our full interview with Vincke, available next week in the PC Gamer magazine.

JasonNH

Augur

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/di...-small-change-makes-a-big-tactical-difference

Visually at the moment, Divinity: Fallen Heroes looks a whole lot like Original Sin 2. It's definitely built on the Original Sin 2 engine, but both studios are working hard to add new artwork and new skills to the game. This isn't just Original Sin 2 with slightly different combat.

"Everything that you're seeing onboard the Lady Vengeance is still very much placeholder. It's much easier to use the existing assets to test the game. In combat, there is still asset reuse, but there's a lot of new stuff in there also. There is new artwork, new environments: you'll head to the icy north, you'll head to the desert lands of the ancient empire. You're going to have a new journey," says Vincke.

And when asked about Larian Studios having more suprises like Fallen Heroes in the future, Vincke promises that there will be "big ones."

Divinity: Fallen Heroes Hands-On: We Talk to Larian Studios About Its Surprising Divinity: Original Sin 2 Spinoff
Divinity: Fallen Heroes is based around tough narrative decisions, like in the RPGs.

It was a shock when Larian Studios announced Divinity: Fallen Heroes. It was the day before PAX East, and I expected to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition in Larian's booth again. Even after the announcement, I thought that Divinity: Fallen Heroes wouldn't be playable on the showfloor. But no, there it was, calling to me like a beacon. I love tactics strategy games and I love Divinity: Original Sin 2, so Divinity: Fallen Heroes is the perfect announcement to me.

Fallen Heroes picks up after the events of Divinity: Original Sin 2, and features all of your favorite Godwoken heroes. Ifan Ben-Mezd and Lohse feature heavily in the playable build, but the Red Prince also appears, and I caught a glimpse of one mission with Fane. Malady is also back, under your custody as the unnamed Commander of the Godwoken.

When you're not out on the battlefield, you're looking at your advisors and the war table. Larian says that the ship from Divinity: Original Sin 2, the Lady Vengeance, will return and be upgradeable over time. It's here that you'll also make a number of narrative decisions. For the first mission in the demo, I'm given the choice to reinforce the fort containing Lucian the Divine, or head to the harbor to help out citizens. Ifan is arguing heavily to back up Lucian, while Lohse is giving me the side eye for even entertaining the idea of not help the people.

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is based around these narrative choices. Who will you help? Who will you fail? As you make decisions, your Godwoken heroes will shift in response. You'll spend a lot of time on the Lady Vengeance, talking to your crew and getting into their feelings about your actions. It's not just about what you want to do, it's about managing these different internal factions. Long time Divinity fans will recognize this meta gameplay loop from a previous game.

"We were looking for some time to mix Dragon Commander with Original Sin. Since Original Sin, we've thought that Dragon Commander's problem was its combat. Everything that happened on the meta gameplay, people liked. But we never had the time to do it," Larian Studios founder and CEO Swen Vincke tells USG.

After the wild success of Divinity: Original Sin 2, Larian Studios still didn't have the time to 'fix' Dragon Commander, but it did have the resources. According to Vincke, Larian Studios approached Logic Artists, the Danish developer behind Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking to handle development of the project. Logic Artists has been prototyping on the concept since June of last year, with the last prototype being so good that Larian decided to bring it to audiences.

Choose your hero, as long as you've kept them happy. | Larian Studios

Once you've chosen your course, you then have to build your squad. In Fallen Heroes, your squad will be led by a hero, one of your Godwoken crew (and Malady!). They have skill trees and approval ratings, which both will determine how they work on the battlefield.

After that, you'll choose a group of nameless squad members, including a Mage, Healer, and Archer. These squad members use some of the abilities from Divinity: Original Sin 2, but they're a bit more vanilla and straightforward in the current build. Once you've picked your crew, you also have a host of consumable items to choose from that can help turn the tide of battle. One example is the Endless Apple, which restores one character to pristine condition, or Prism of the Planes, which lets you drop a limited-use portal on the battlefield to quickly move from location to location.

If you've played Divinity: Original Sin 2, combat is largely the same: same general movement, same action points, and the same focus on elemental damage. What's changed is there's no longer a turn order: instead, you make decisions for your entire squad, end the turn, and then the enemy forces make all their choices at once. In practice, this means that it's slightly easier to set up combos, like dropping oil on the ground with one character and setting it on fire with another.

The flip side of this is if you push too far ahead, you'll find a character quickly overwhelmed. I lost my archer to an enemy dogpile, and another change made itself apparent: there's currently no way to resurrect a dead unit. Larian is still going back and forth on whether that'll remain the case, but at least in the show build, it made your choices feel final. I already see myself playing Fallen Heroes a bit more cautiously than I did in Original Sin 2.

There's facets to the battlefield as well. There's Sulfurium, a new element that can be spread on the ground. It reacts to kinetic energy. Throw an enemy on it, and they'll bounce. Shoot it, and it explodes, dealing physical damage. Savvy players can also use it to get around the battlefield. Larian Studios and Logic Artists came up with a new weapon type to fully utilize the new element: guns. Guns and blunderbusses deal direct damage and knock back, making them slightly different from bows.

The cheese stands alone. | Larian Studios

"Sulfurium was a surface that we've been experimenting with. It's the kind of thing we've been looking for because it has a very systemic usage, because it creates those physical shockwaves that throw you back. It reacts to any kinetic energy. If you shoot a crossbow at it, you're rocket jumping," says Vincke. "Blunderbusses and guns came up very rapidly. They're cool because they have this throwback effect. So we've played with verticality even more than we did in Divinity: Original Sin 2."

And they're still working on Fallen Heroes, but it's likely that there will be a Sulfurium Incarnate, according to Vincke. There is a Sulfurium skill tree that's in development.

The first mission in the build introduces guns on the enemy side, allowing them to push back my soldiers on the battlefield. They're still like bows in that its line-of-sight is still key, so teleports and stuns can keep gun wielders from controlling the battlefield. My Original Sin 2 skill did carry me through the first battle, ending in a fight against the Void version of Lucian the Divine. I won, though everyone except my chosen hero Ifan died horribly and was resurrected as bloated undead corpses by the boss. It was a tough round.

Visually at the moment, Divinity: Fallen Heroes looks a whole lot like Original Sin 2. It's definitely built on the Original Sin 2 engine, but both studios are working hard to add new artwork and new skills to the game. This isn't just Original Sin 2 with slightly different combat.

"Everything that you're seeing onboard the Lady Vengeance is still very much placeholder. It's much easier to use the existing assets to test the game. In combat, there is still asset reuse, but there's a lot of new stuff in there also. There is new artwork, new environments: you'll head to the icy north, you'll head to the desert lands of the ancient empire. You're going to have a new journey," says Vincke.

You can't keep everyone happy. | Larian Studios

One thing that Larian Studios and Logic Artists are trying to avoid is grinding. Many tactics games see players heading into the same handful of missions and levels to grind. Vincke says that Fallen Heroes is trying to make each mission more meaningful, while also keeping the player at a level that feels challenging.

"I play a lot of tactics games, and a lot of them grind. That's because there's a lack of diversity and you keep on doing the same thing. One of our briefs is that we should avoid this. Each mission has to feel different. I really want to play [a tactics game] where story and choices are important, but I also don't want have the same experience twice," he tells me.

Divinity: Fallen Heroes has no release date, with Vincke saying it'll be out "when it's ready." He also promises that Larian has "a lot of ambitions" for Fallen Heroes. And when asked about Larian Studios having more suprises like Fallen Heroes in the future, Vincke promises that there will be "big ones."

No Kickstarter but Swencast is still coming:

And looks like someone brought too many friends:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-fa...will-let-you-rocket-jump-across-battlefields/

Divinity: Fallen Heroes' new surface will let you rocket jump across battlefields
Sulphurium has a kick.

RXPBCDsSBc3Uq8JuRggsJS-320-80.jpg

Not surprisingly, Divinity: Fallen Heroes is bringing back one of Original Sin's best combat features: surfaces. Poison, oil, water—the ground of the tactical spin-off is peppered with puddles with elemental and exotic properties that can be combined with spells, effects and actions to create unexpected combos. And it's adding a new one to the list.

Sulphurium is a volatile, explosive resource that, when spilled on the battlefield, presents both a deadly obstacle and a very handy tool.

"It's triggered by kinetic energy, and it causes an explosion with a shockwave," Larian's Swen Vincke explains. "So if you shoot a crossbow at it while you're on top of it, you can rocket jump. And if you time it right you can jump across multiple surfaces. If an enemy is nearby they'll be thrown back by the impact as you jump. It's a really cool systemic addition to the combat."

If you're not careful, however, sulphurium can also kill off your own units. Enemies will gladly push your warriors onto the nasty surface. It's not the sort of thing you want to fall on top of, as the landing will be accompanied by an explosion. Try to avoid standing above a puddle of the stuff.

Clearly it's not as safe as using a polymorph spell to give you wings or a teleport spell to send you across the map in a blink of an eye, but neither of them let you land in the middle of a group of enemies and send them flying back. It's a much better way to make an entrance.

Check out more of our interview with Vincke and get more details about Divinity: Fallen Heroes in the latest issue of the PC Gamer magazine, out this week.

Old Hans

Arcane
this looks like it will be a lot more fun for four players than the main game, which was just way to slow.

Murk

Arcane
Fans will love that you can now control Malady in battle.

I found Malady to be utterly insufferable and was hoping she'd never appear again :shittydog:

I tried attacking her every chance I got, but bitch *poofs* away. I had to take my latent rage out on the black ring witch in the rose-corpse cave.

edit: also, lol, Swen hover-handing the cheese vendor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Infinity Engine RPGs that inspired the Original Sin series"

In the "At least they're not comparing us to Diablo anymore" sense I suppose.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
This video interview reveals his ambition: https://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/433823/Divinity+Fallen+Heroes+Swen+Vincke+Interview/

Of the 60 planned missions, at maximum, you can play half of them in one playthrough. A mission takes 20-30 minutes, so he estimates over 15 hours of playtime. He emphasizes how much efforts they put into design of missions.

And knowing Swen, he will regulary make a visit and control the progress. That man is either a machine or he won't reach his 60th birthday. But you have to admire how serious he takes his games.

purpleblob

Savant
This may be the first Divinity game I will enjoy with LA working on it. I expect story/writing to be shit since Larian is taking a charge there.

Any clue on release date?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cons spread sickness like crazy so it's best not to touch anyone or anything.

Cheese man is smart to wear gloves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom