Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Divinity: Fallen Heroes - canceled tactical spinoff from Expeditions series devs

Dodo1610

Arcane
Divinity: Fallen Heroes

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Is Getting A Spinoff Tactics Game
Jason Schreier

nkijxe56z4cbs4ykkc6f.png

The makers of Divinity: Original Sin 2, one of the best role-playing games in modern memory, are putting out a brand new spinoff. It’s a strategy game called Divinity: Fallen Heroes and it’ll be out later this year for “multiple platforms.”

You’ll play as a cast of characters from Divinity: Original Sin 2—all six main companions, plus the enigmatic demon Malady—traveling on the Lady Vengeance, the game’s seafaring (and, in this game, air-faring) ship, fighting nasty enemies across the world of Rivellon. As one does.

Based on the trailer, combat in Divinity: Fallen Heroes looks a lot like combat in Divinity: Original Sin 2—which was already pretty tactics-ish in the first place—but there are some interesting twists. Divinity developers Larian Studios and co-developers Logic Artists are promising narrative decisions, diplomacy, and some other familiar strategy mechanics, like technology trees and special unit recruitment.

It all sounds rad to me, but really, you could stick the name Divinity: Original Sin 2 on anything and I’d be all aboard the hype train.

Infinitron should make a new thread I think.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/1736608545562972334

Announcing Divinity: Fallen Heroes!
Mar 27 @ 11:07am - Jess_Larian
1ff8d9013f667ef428ae07b21f23678569b124e1.jpg
We’re so happy to announce this one. Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a game we’ve wanted to make for a long time. Ever since Dragon Commander, we toyed with the idea of mixing D:OS tactical turn-based combat with Dragon Commander’s decision-making elements. We thought there was a very cool game hiding in there, but we never had the resources to make it. Since then, the idea remained unexplored.

Until now.

Last year, we gave the D:OS2 engine to Danish studio Logic Artists and asked them to see where it’d take them. Their brief was to develop a game in which your narrative choices affect which missions you can play-- and where your performance during these missions would affect subsequent narrative options.

The result was truly awesome. Thus, some time later this year, there will be a new stand-alone Divinity game featuring all our favourite characters, tactical turn-based combat, and plenty of difficult decisions to make. There’s tons of new combos to discover, tons of combat enhancements and… you can play with a friend in co-op!

The story will see you take on the role of commanders in the Divine Order, charged with arresting the half-demon Malady for stealing the Order's doomsday weapons. Before you know it, you’ll be engaged in a high-stakes play for global domination against none other than the Lord of Chaos himself. Together with the former Godwoken and the unreliable half-demon, you’ll engage in a grand adventure that’ll see you become the last hope of the free world.

To get a first taste of Divinity: Fallen Heroes, check out our brand new shiny trailer. And if you’re lucky enough to attend PAX East, come to our booth and try out the game yourself. We’re demoing an early build to collect feedback.

It’s still early days and we have plenty of work left to do, but do let us know your thoughts and what you would hope to see in Divinity: Fallen Heroes. We’re listening, and as always, your feedback will help us make the game better.

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a new tactical game oozing with RPG elements

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Last year, we gave the D:OS2 engine to Danish studio Logic Artists and asked them to see where it’d take them.

046657ede3154549514cc754684cdd013f51e7c5ffee9a90fc5cab6ef1d1b1ab.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like it's still based on the same ass-backwards systems of DOS2, so I'll just adopt a conservative stance and assume it to be shit until proven otherwise.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian said:
Last year, we gave the D:OS2 engine to Danish studio Logic Artists and asked them to see where it’d take them. Their brief was to develop a game in which your narrative choices affect which missions you can play-- and where your performance during these missions would affect subsequent narrative options.

The result was truly awesome.

This is the cool bit! So happy for Logic Artists.

Play Expeditions: Viking :incline:

Murk

Arcane
Yesss excellent. Now just adopt a normal stat resist system and/or bring back your first iteration.

Though I enjoyed OS2 plenty, so even if it's a direct 1:1 of that system, I can still get jiggy with it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian said:

The result was truly awesome.

This is the cool bit! So happy for Logic Artists.

Play Expeditions: Viking :incline:
Updated the title to reflect this as it's probably the most interesting bit to a lot of users here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/27/divinity-fallen-heroes-preview-first-look/

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is sort of XCOM for Divinity: Original Sin 2, but doesn't have its guns yet

“Hot diggity daffodil,” says I, reading a GDC email two weeks ago. “A ‘new and unannounced Divinity: Original Sin 2 title’, what a day!” Eagle eyed readers will have already spotted that the email did not in fact say ‘hot new in-depth RPG Divinity: Original Sin 3 revealed’, and Divinity: Fallen Heroes is indeed not that. I got a hands on with an early alpha build, and what it is, is sort of XCOM but for Divinity. Or, to put it another way: did you like the combat from Divinity: Original Sin 2?

The combat in OS2 wasn’t my favourite part, because as you probably know I lean towards story and elf-bothering, but it’s good, and was highly praised. Making a standalone game about it seems like a good move. There’s a bit more to it than that, but that’s the main cut, thrust, stab, explosion, knockback, poison-applied of it. Fallen Heroes is set post OS2, but there is still adventuring to be done and a world to save. You become the captain of the flying battleship Lady Vengeance, and from there send a squad of four (three basic types e.g. archer or healer, and one familiar heroic face from OS2), out on various missions for complex turn-based murder.

I played two missions, the first at a city dock where civilians were being attacked and the second at good skull boi Fane’s weird old man cottage. He had like three barns, and was apparently doing a lot of work on the place because there was scaffolding everywhere. I suspect he was planning to flip it and sell it to a smug couple on Location, Location, Location, pricing locals out of the market.

There have been some small revisions to the combat system. The initiative order has changed, so this time you get to take actions with all of your troops, and then the enemy take their turns. It makes battles easier to parse, without really lessening the complex game of magic chess you have to play in your head. “If I move my archer there I’ll be in a good position to shoot yer man, but then this skeleton will get an opportunity and it’s possible that my healer will be flanked in the next turn…” and so on.

You also don’t have an inventory in the same way, so no hoarding potions or scrolls. Instead, for each mission you pick two or three powerful but single use artefacts to deploy if you sense the time is right, like an instant teleport or a mega-heal. My favourite was a bell that turns a targeted enemy into a cow. Tee hee. Another fun but tactical addition is sulfurium, a surface type that joins the normal reactive surfaces like water, poison, fire and so on. Sulfurium can react… explosively, and I was told that, if mastered, you use it to do what is basically a rocket jump.

Missions have a few optional and mandatory tasks. Urgency was introduced by a ‘more enemies in x turns’ timer. At Fane’s house we couldn’t leave before he’d packed, so I had to run him all over the map to different circled objective points to ‘find’ research and chemicals and so on. At the docks, we had to save groups of threatened locals by running up to them inside circled objective points. Hopefully the full game will give you stuff to do that doesn’t revolve around circles as much.

In between missions you return to your war room at the Lady Vengeance, and discuss what to do next. It’s here that the RPG elements of choice and consequence are put back in. Before my first mission, Lohse was urging me to protect the townsfolk and Ifan was like nah, back up the troops. I chose the former. Had I chosen the latter I would have gotten some cool veteran troops to choose for future missions, but Lohse would have her arse in her hand for not defending the weak. Because I chose the former, Lohse’s hand remained arseless, Ifan acknowledged I did the right thing, and I got a new artefact… but no veteran troops.

The press bumph released today says that you have to actually manage your crew ‘through diplomacy’ and that if you make poor choices and ‘lose hope’ then heroes might up sticks and jump ship. OS2 Fane, Ifan, Lohse, Sebille, Red Emperor and Beast, as well as the mysterious and extremely cool Malady, all feature, but may conceivably not feature for too long if they think you’re a terrible captain.

Fallen Heroes is being developed out of house by Danish studio Logic Artists (the devs behind Expeditions: Conquistador), and though the early alpha I played was an hour of good clean you-only-have-2-action-points-left fun, there’s a lot promised that I didn’t see hide nor hair of. Guns are supposed to feature, for example — Fane was supposed to have them, but the build didn’t — and could potentially change the flow of battle a lot. Or not at all. I don’t know. Fane just spent a lot of time kicking enemies instead. I didn’t see any ‘devastating source powers’ for the Lady Vengeance, or ‘technology to research’. I didn’t see any new or breathtaking unit types.

But y’know what? The OS2 combat is really clever, isn’t it? So, to put it another way: did you like the combat from Divinity: Original Sin 2? Keep an eye on the progress of Fallen Heroes. It’s currently supposed to be out later this year, so they’d better find them guns quickly.

Xeon

Augur
I only played DOS2 up until the second island iirc. I thought most of the people who aren't in your party get killed during the attack on the ship, so at most you can only save 3 people I think or something, since all of the characters show up in the continuation guess I was wrong.

Terra

Cipher
From the Expeditions guys? Sign me the fuck up!

Don't have a clue what I'm looking at though, why are all the D:OS2 crew present. Non-canon spin off?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So instead of making games in cool settings with decent systems they're now making a game which is... not that way. Interesting. At least initiative is fixed, right?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They can totally add guns if they want to. One of their games sticked jetpack on a dragon after all
rating_shittydog.gif

Dodo1610

Arcane
Divinity: Fallen Heroes is sort of XCOM for Divinity: Original Sin 2, but doesn't have its guns yet
[/QUOTE]
When will we see Divinity with guns?[/QUOTE]

The Divinity Original Sins 2 artbook had guns already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom