Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Divinity: Fallen Heroes - canceled tactical spinoff from Expeditions series devs

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I gotta be honest, I creamed my pants a little when I saw the thread.

narrative decisions, diplomacy, and some other familiar strategy mechanics, like technology trees and special unit recruitment.

Will this be a similar to the kind of stuff we had in Dragon Commander? Please say yes.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The Dark Souls of XCOM of Call of Duty of RPGs with Guns and Hookers™.

Fucking gamejournos need to shut the fuck up with their nonsense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here is the press release: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press..._Studios_announces_Divinity_Fallen_Heroes.php

Larian Studios announces Divinity: Fallen Heroes

Developed as a co-production with Danish studio Logic Artists, Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a new standalone game in the Divinity: Original Sin 2 universe. Fallen Heroes marries rich tactical gameplay with RPG choices and consequences, and introduces a wealth of new features and mechanics to the D:OS 2 engine. It will be released on multiple platforms later in the year.

Delve deeper into the world of Rivellon as you command your troops aboard the Lady Vengeance. Explore new lands and wield new weapons and skills. Build your squad and vanquish never-before seen corners of Rivellon. Divinity: Fallen Heroes features two player cooperative play as well as a single player mode.

A new threat looms over Rivellon. Lead aboard the Lady Vengeance and enlist the help of new and existing heroes. Join Malady, Fane, Ifan, Lohse, Sebille, Red Emperor and Beast in a tactical game with all the depth of an RPG.

Aboard the Lady Vengeance, manage your crew through diplomacy. Your choices affect everything. Lose faith and you lose heroes. Rally your troops, and you restore hope.

Vanquish the deserts of the Lizard Empire and the snowy climate of the Dwarven Kingdom. Master a revised combat system and take on over 60 missions with narrative objectives where your decisions greatly affect the story.
  • Gunpower comes to Divinity. Lock’n’load with an arsenal of guns and rifles.
  • Oil, Fire, Ice, Water and Poison surfaces are joined by the new Sulfurium surface, affecting hero positioning on the battlefield.
  • Play with mysterious hero character Malady for the first time in a Divinity game, as well as an all-new character. Or take control of the famous Godwoken.
  • Select from 30+ different unit types to create the perfect squad, and equip them with over 200 skills.
  • Decide which technology to research and what artefacts to obtain to give your troops that extra oomph.
  • Simultaneous Co-op Gameplay allowing you to take turns and combine abilities at the same time.
  • Unlock devastating source powers for your flying battleship, The Lady Vengeance, that will turn the tide of battle.
  • Recruit unique veteran troops, but be careful: if you lose them in battle, they are gone for good.
  • Optional objectives and challenges will push your tactical acumen to its limits.
An early version of Divinity: Fallen Heroes will be playable at PAX East in Boston, March 28th, to allow the development team to gather feedback from the community. Hands-on for press can be organised.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd be more interested if it wasn't intended to be a continuation of DOS2. Some of the tactical/narrative elements sound really interesting, but the last thing I want is more of the dumbass DOS2 characters.

V_K

Arcane
To be fair, that seems to be a very logical destination for DOS games, given that combat was the only thing about them that really worked.

Unfortunately it looks like it's still based on the same ass-backwards systems of DOS2, so I'll just adopt a conservative stance and assume it to be shit until proven otherwise.

Combat is now turn-based instead of initiative-based.
The important question is, is the armor system still in?

Tigranes

Arcane
Larian & Logic collaborating is cool, Logic having a crack at overhauling combat systems is cool, a Tactics spinoff is cool.

Having to use shitass Larian lore is not cool, I don't remember any of these characters or why anyone would like to see them again as opposed to Logic's great work adopting history and myth, but that's unavoidable in this kind of deal.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Divinity_Fallen_Heroes_Keyart.jpg

Is Damian the other guy? There are also Dragons so could this game be the attempts to connect Original Sin 2's story with Ego Draconis, to prepare for Divinity 3?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is cool news in my book. Two good studios, working together. I dare to get hyped (a little bit) for this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/ive-played-...at-i-learned-about-the-new-tactical-spin-off/

I've played Divinity: Fallen Heroes—here's what I learned about the new tactical spin-off
Big narrative decisions, permadeath, and Original Sin 2's combat evolved.

I'm getting the gang back together. Lohse, my hero from Divinity: Original Sin 2, is now living life happily demon-free, hanging on the ship The Lady Vengeance with Ifan Ben-Mezd. We're reunited with Malady, my favorite sarcastic half-demon, and about to start a mission to meet up with Fane, the undead wizard. As I start to assemble my squad for the mission, I can't help but recognize the similarity to Final Fantasy Tactics.

Here I am in a fantasy spin-off game, assembling a team of heroes and generic soldiers, by the classes I think will mix best. I take a ranger, whose arrow skills allow them to coat an area in oil and then light it on fire. And I figure having a cleric along to heal the party will be vital, because I pulled through my first mission by the skin of my teeth.

He'll be dead within 10 minutes. Some things haven't changed: Divinity is still hard, and its tactical combat is still richly open-ended, demanding you carefully think about every move you make, and then roll with the punches when it inevitably goes horribly wrong.

Fallen Heroes is a sequel to Original Sin 2, starring the same cast of characters but scaled down to, essentially, just the combat bits. There's a bit of an XCOM-like meta layer here, filtered through Larian's RPG systems. In between missions you'll click through story and dialogue options, and different rooms on the Lady Vengeance operate as simplified versions of XCOM's facilities. Don't go in expecting a sprawling base-building system, but there are upgrades to make to your ship and soldiers in between battles.

Combat looks a whole lot like Original Sin 2, but there are a few major changes for this game—if you've played as much Divinity as I have, that means you'll probably have to rewire your brain's strategy center a bit. In OS2, every character in battle slotted into the turn order somewhere based on their stats, but this time around you take a turn to control your entire team, and then the AI does the same.

This means that the number of tactical decisions you can make at any one time explodes enormously. You need to consider all of the abilities of your entire team and in what order you should use them. For example, in one fight I brought my heavy-hitting polymorph in close to deliver a melee hit on an enemy, dropping them down to low health. Then I realized I could have attacked with my archer first, coating the enemy in oil and then lighting them on fire. But if I used those abilities now, I'd end up hurting my own soldier, too.

I spent whole minutes clicking between the members of my team, thinking about their skills and what order I should use them in. And my demo was early in the game, with only a small handful of skills for each class. As you progress through Fallen Heroes you'll unlock more skills for your heroes and your basic soldiers in each class, which is an important distinction from games like XCOM. When my cleric died in my mission to rescue Fane, he was permanently dead, but in the next mission I could recruit another generic cleric with the same suite of abilities.

There are also unique recruitable characters called "veterans" who can die permanently as well, and I lost two of them trying to help Fane get his research and escape to the Lady Vengeance as we were ambushed by the Black Ring. It was not a great start, but it reminded me of just how quickly everything can go to hell in Divinity when the enemies I'm up against have access to all the same skills I do. And they use them.

Larian's Swen Vincke says you will be able to resurrect your troops later in the game, but that ability won't come quickly or easily—it'll be a big deal. In the meantime, you'll probably want to save often, or accept that your troops are going to die a lot.

Vincke told me a large number of Original Sin 2's skills have been reworked and rebalanced for the new game, and there will be new skills to learn, too. Combat encounters are being designed similarly to the ones in Larian's RPGs, which means the win conditions are going to be a bit more story-driven than you'd expect from the typical tactics game. In the first mission I had to destroy some ballistas that were pummeling the Lady Vengeance before she sank, and in the second I had to guide Fane to several points on the map to hunt for his research, then get him to an extraction point.

In both missions reinforcements kept spawning in, forcing me to accomplish my objectives before I was overwhelmed. Vincke said they won't overuse that mechanic, and I hope that proves to be the case, because it was a bit of a grind having new waves of enemies pressing in on me every three turns. But it did push me to think creatively instead of trying to kill every enemy.

In Fane's case, I used one of the two artefacts I was able to take with me on the mission—powerful, global items that anyone in your party can use—to set up a pair of teleporter pyramids and jump him halfway across the map to the extraction point. I also made a classic Divinity mistake of putting one pyramid right next to a ladder, blocking one of my other troops from teleporting, too. She would've been dead meat if I didn't have Fane escape that turn.

Here are some other things I learned about Fallen Heroes from about an hour of playing:
  • You'll be able to control up to six troops in battle
  • Two player co-op support is back.
  • Even though this isn't a full-on RPG, your decisions will impact the story, and especially how the characters respond to you. Lose their trust and bad things will happen.
  • If you and your co-op partner are making different decisions, your followers will side with whoever's decisions they like more.
  • There's a new "surface" type called sulfurium, and any kinetic force applied to it will trigger the surface, flinging characters or objects away and dealing damage.
  • There are guns now.
  • The Lady Vengeance can serve as your artillery. You'll be able to summon it in battle.
  • Though I didn't see this part, you'll be able to position your characters before starting battles.
  • The game is a co-production with Expeditions: Viking developer Logic Artists.
  • Fallen Heroes is out this year.

Turbo normie

Scholar
♪ Come to me, the night is dark ♪
♪ Come to me, the night is long ♪
♪ Sing for me, I'll sing along ♪
♪ Sing for me, oh sing for me! ♪

This is a joyful moment. I will buy it day one like a good doggo.

Murk

Arcane
That article is terrible, the guy just writes gibberish for half of it before even approaching anything that might resemble how the game plays.

Terra

Cipher
Who are you actually playing as in this game? D:OS2 enabled you to play as any of the companions (something I strongly disliked) or your own custom character (which I greatly preferred). Given what's been shown, I'm guessing this is a series of tactical battles interspersed with decisions/scenes, presumably chopping away the usual rpg exploration mechanics that were in D:OS2.

Like in Dragon Commander you were the emperor, a physical person that your advisers talked to and thus they developed the narrative between battles through the interactions on the ship. What's the state of play here, are you a disembodied "commander" ala Expeditions Conquistador or are you playing as one of those companions/custom character. Do the advisers talk to you, do they recognise you as the person they travelled with in the past game? Or is this game canon-ising that the hero of D:OS2 was one of the companions?

Xeon

Augur
Since they mentioned XCOM, its probably just the camera guy everyone talks to to make decisions and takes control of units during fights.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems like Dragon Commander, but with the combat from D:OS.

EDIT: Ha, beat to the punch by a few seconds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom