Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Divinity: Original Sin 2 Codex Fundraiser

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Angthoron, Sep 8, 2015.

1. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Crooked Bee went for the in-game portrait and I just went high enough for all the physical items thus she's one higher than I am in the fundraiser.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. slackerwizrd Educated Patron

slackerwizrd
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I failed to realize that the 27th was the start of 27th in some other timezone, and I missed the chance to donate. Oh well, off to RPGWatch to donate!
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Just to be clear I am really thinking about throwing my name out there to give it a go for Codexian glory ... :obviously: I think it would be a blast and I could really play it up.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I see two outcomes:

We win: Top RPG of all time, maximum icline.
    We lose: This game is popamole consolised shit with romances made for people who play with controllers anyway.

Talking about controllers anyway: Our champion will only play if it is Kb + M. :obviously:

EDIT:

What was the final count on the Watch fundraiser? is that number on their website up to date?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    With me I don't have a choice and I would certainly extoll the virtues of the kb/m over the use of a controller which can lead to the awful condition of cosolitis. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    This is off topic, and could quite possibly appear as demeaning, so disclaimer: utter, pure curiosity, no offense whatsoever, honest to god (assuming you are delluded enough to believe in one);

How do you play? Am honestly clueless (you know not how long i've been wondering this)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    The point is that all gameplay videos they've show are made using the controller. Is it optimized for the keyboard and mouse, or did they fully embrace that cockeyed XB1 controller? In any case, the champion will play on their machines at home... It's funny how sometimes I picture things like the champions going to larian offices and play the game with swen behind them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    It would be a fun twist if this version could only be played with controllers; unfortunately, I suspect that HiddenX has much more experience with those than any of the potential Codex champions.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    What do controllers have to do with anything, when the game is a turn based slaughterfest.

By the by, if we want the optimal strat we need some live coaching for whomever is on twitch, like an internal comms channel where to plan strategies. The person out is not as much as our champion but the voice of the best player's committee.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Raze Larian Studios Developer

Raze
    There is a separate UI for keyboard and mouse (which has been shown in a few of the Twitch/Youtube streams, but at this point it is still pretty much the same as D:OS). Using controllers is required for local, split screen co-op (if that is being shown) and when moving a computer around and setting it up, a controller can be easier (for example, the XSplit show at TwitchCon just had chairs for the host and guest, no desk/table for a keyboard and mouse). Also, controller support is new, starting with the D:OS Enhanced Edition.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Yes, and to even things out, I'm sure HiddenX would agree not to use his arms either:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't have a controller or a console. Mouse, KB and PC only, nothing else. I have a headset and a micro but no webcam. I'm not into MMOs :)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The end date now appears to be the 30th, in line with the Kickstarter, so I might yet have a chance to go into debt and destitution for the Codex.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Just to point this out - our fundraiser deadline has been extended, tentatively to the 30th, so people that might get paid on Monday or so might still be able to take part.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  15. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Wait what? It seems like yesterday it was 5 K of bucks, and... what's going on? :shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :mca:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Ahaha, just found out that Avellone will put a bit of his creative hose into the game.
    Codex has potential. ))

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    IDtenT , show your face for some reparations. Particularly urgent given your impending brofist ban. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Wait, one guy donated 4k to the rpgwatch fundraiser?
    :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Not at all demeaning or offensive my friend. Here is a picture of my gaming setup:
    IMG_0192 (1024x768).jpg

Very simplistic and clean (I don't like clutter so no Doritos stains here!) and the biggest reason that I can game at all is the Trackball mouse sitting there. The two left mouse buttons I can easily press with the end of my arm, even pressing them both if needed. My right "thumb" as I call it sits on the trackball itself and that navigates the pointer or mouse-look if playing a 1st person-style game. The end of my right arm can also tap the two right mouse buttons to do whatever I assign them (like moving backwards, strafing, use of an ability, etc.). I can then easily tap a key on the keyboard if needed but really my mouse is my main input device. I've had this same mouse for more than 20+ years and another one for many years before this one! Not sure that helped give you a visual of my play style but maybe if the Codex picks me as their champion the Twitch stream would show me in action. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 30
    ^ Top  
  21. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So far mindx2 and Darth Roxor have volunteered, right? Maybe they could play a match of D:OS (or other turnbased tactical) combat against each other later today to see who's better at it?

As a back up option, I would also suggest VentilatorOfDoom as a possible Codex champion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Can't do it today as I'll be in and out all day. How soon is Larian thinking about doing this thing?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    I'm assuming the last day of the KS campaign. If so, tomorrow should be fine too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    My goodness that's soon! I guess I'll need to fire up D:OS tonight and get some practice in....!!!! :eek:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    I'm disappointed... I imagined you controlling games with mind +2 powers...

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)