Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Origin characters have a story attached to them, so if you are interested in the story pick one of them.
You can still learn about their story by tacking them along as npc but some decisions are made by them automatically
in this case. If you play one yourself you get to make the decisions yourself.

Thats strange system tbh.. I never saw a game that worked like this at least not a crpg. I guess adds replay value. Anyway thanks. I guess gonna make a custom first and chosen a origin char base on my experience with them.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Why ? The definitive edition is worse or something ?
The final version of the first game is called the Enhanced edition. Yes, it's worse.

D:OS2 always sucked, Definitive edition as well as before. It completely butchered the combat system, and the "improved" writing isn't nearly good enough to make up for it.

Terra

Cipher
I'd always go custom character personally. The origin characters are all companion characters, I really didn't like how it was handled personally; both in terms of locking content behind origins and being able to rp the origin character completely contrary to their personalities as companions. It is an odd system, particularly given that the custom character gets nothing to counterbalance that lack of an origin, even moreso was the fact that Swen was so surprised that a huge number of players picked a custom character for their playthrough.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
even moreso was the fact that Swen was so surprised that a huge number of players picked a custom character for their playthrough.

It's indeed so strange. In most RPGs i want to create my character and see how the world is affect by my choices. Unless the premise of the game is better supported/works better with a fixed protagonist, i don't see a see why decide doing both was the best option.

Also this Swen guy must be kinda blind or something because you don't need to do much research to notice that people love creating their OCs.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you pick origin character you still have to choose your fate at that role, and more freely so (and also having more information about it), in contrast to when you have them as companions.
And all origins are intertwined with main story or factions quests in game so it so it adds to immersion.
But you can solve same quests with custom character of course.

Murk

Arcane
Play the Classic edition of the first game instead.

Why ? The definitive edition is worse or something ?

He said the first game, meaning Original Sin 1. At some point, you _should_ play the first game because it's great, but the second game is good too.

If you're interested in the plot, pick an origin character since you can customize them to anything you want anyway build wise.

If you want a really minor spoiler of who is "most central" to the main plot, then:

Fane, but you will have to play undead, which is actually quite well done in this game.

DraQ

Arcane
I'd always go custom character personally. The origin characters are all companion characters, I really didn't like how it was handled personally; both in terms of locking content behind origins and being able to rp the origin character completely contrary to their personalities as companions.
Why? Origin isn't a full character. It's a piece of backstory. Your interpretation of origin character and Larian's are just different characters based on same backstory, same as different people (or even same person on subsequent playthroughs) can play TNO differently. Neither of them is playing wrong, and neither of them is playing more or less wrong just because their way of playing doesn't align with either Practical or Paranoid Incarnation.

It is an odd system, particularly given that the custom character gets nothing to counterbalance that lack of an origin
True, you should get content predicated on not being an origin character then.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You get the satisfaction of not playing by Larian's rules and there's a distinct feeling of joy and anti-conformity in that.

Murk

Arcane
Custom characters still get the tags which give you special dialog options (some of which let you avoid problems that otherwise you'd need persuasion for.. though in some cases they may exacerbate problems too.)

The story is still written to be about whoever you play, an origin character just gets a specific story that goes with it.

Worked fine for me, and I like the idea of being able to play as the characters that you otherwise would recruit as your npc companions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/3742991449200385500

Update 3.6.58.1306 - Haymaker Tooltip Fixed
8d2b9ded312fc4ea1dbf2372315107c0ec1d9c73.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Our latest update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition is live! The Haymaker talent now shows the correct description and we've fixed some localization issues.

Happy adventures through Rivellon!

Larian Crew

Full changelist below:
  • Fixed a crash related to two split-screen sessions joining
  • Fixed a crash related to loading a savegame that had Reactive Shot status active
  • Fixed haymaker talent tooltip
  • Fixed localization issues in Korean and Japanese

Codex Year of the Donut
I love how open-ended this game is in solving anything.
Need to kill a high level troll so I went and found some lava, transferred it halfway across the map by creating rain puddles and cast terrain transmutation it to move it forward, then dropped it on the troll. :lol:

Codex Year of the Donut
oh shit, every time I played this I apparently missed a quest with Gareth that
allows you to save his parents :negative:
This game has so much content.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
With the reveal of BG3 and 50% discount, DOS2's weekend concurrent player peak was doubled (12,561 -> 25,481), the best since January 2018, higher than Fallout 4 and Skyrim's. Also it's around the top end of the global top seller list since the discount.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom