Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Bubbles, Sep 14, 2016.

1. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Undead Protag ffs! :argh:

^ Top  
  2. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    I really shouldn't be surprised it won't be released in first half of 2017 but still...

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    They've seem to have gone with the D&D approach to char development. I like it.

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In the video, David Walgrave says they're putting in some hand-placed loot at the beginning of the game. Not a lot in the current version, though.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    I'll have to dig into it this weekend, but the one thing I'm not really a fan of on paper is how frequent you get automatic memory increases. They should stretch it out to every 3 or even 4 levels and perhaps offer a bonus instead for every 3 points invested or something. The last thing D:OS needed was more bonuses just on level up for free.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. ᚱᚨᚷᛖᚠᚢᛈ Unwanted Queued Shitposter

Unwanted
    What the diff to before? Looks like a doubling of the effects?

^ Top  
  7. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I like this flowchart.

How did you find out about it "on reddit" - ok, no adventure for you, fuck off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    In the previous versions the point increases were a little more similar to pre-D:OS Divinity games where you had more points to spend in each area and the effects were more granular. It wasn't quite all the way to something like Divinity 2 levels where you're points would end up in the 100's, but you could easily have double digit point buys in combat abilities by the end of the 8 levels in the alpha. Now it looks a lot more truncated similar to D:OS 1 but with a few more levels of granularity, 1-10 instead of 1-5.

The automatic memory increases on level are clearly an attempt to both nerf memory and make memory a choice instead of a must-have. I'd just chuck the whole memory system but who knows maybe it works fine in its new form. Haven't played the patch yet.

Though I didn't think memory was as overpowered as some did either. You could certainly gain a lot of extra skills in the previous version of the alpha with more memory. But given the cooldowns and having a party of 4 it wasn't strictly necessary to pump memory up to be effective. Focusing on critical hits for example is just as lethal if not more so than having skill versatility.

One of the other problems of the original alpha's point buys were that the initial investment was often worth so much more than the incremental increases that you just never had any incentive to spend more.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sneaky Seal Aurum Dust Developer

Sneaky Seal
    So if I'd rather wait a while for a polished version then jump in on a buggy one - how soon should I get the game? Basically, how raw is it in it's current state?
    I guess buying it and playing it later is always an option (pretty sure Larian will deliver) :takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Wait for several months. The later the better.

^ Top  
  11. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    let the egg cook you savage

^ Top  
  12. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    I applaud their listening, both in regard to attribute changes and reworked animations.
    I'm just not sure if i accept the reasoning; i mean so far, if i gave you two words, 'complain' and 'animations', what would you make of them? Something to do with their being slow as fuck surely, it being the complaint of pretty much everyone. Apparently however the complaining was centered on their not being visually realistic enough? Are we joking here?

Likewise with attributes. Now in this i am only guessing ok? Haven't touched D:OS II. But i know they are not going for hardcore levels here, game will be pretty much in line with the prequel, difficulty-wise. Would it not have been better if they reworked the skill acquisition? Or progress? Too MMO-ish as it is.

edit: maybe expressed it wrongly.. applaud as in appreciating their adding extra fluff in that they didn't have to (animations) and had no fear re-working a core system at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
    ^ Top  
  13. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Very raw, they've basically only just finished cracking the egg. All the playable races (i.e. the most important one - Undead) aren't even released yet and a lot of stuff like party dialogue is still in the placeholder stage. Definitely wait a few more months, minimum.

^ Top  
  14. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    but i am afraid they will rise the price like they did with torment numa numa

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    You can buy it and not play it. I kickstarted it but haven't played it yet. Also even when it is released it is often better to wait another month for all the inevitable patches and maybe some mods.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  17. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    Wasn't this supposed to be out by now?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    I feel like if you deliberately insert a "fetch quest" into a quest chain then you are just being a pain in the player's ass. Probably the second worst type of quest design there is, only slightly better than "kill 10 random mooks".

Complexity for its own sake doesn't usually end up being meaningful.

^ Top  
  19. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Quest design as a whole should be seriously considered and scrutinized internally, MMO quests are easy to mass produce, but staining single player RPGs with them is a sin. It's much better to have fewer meaningful quests than a bajillion fetch quests alla DA:I. Serious quests are concrete structures that hold a game together, you need them to build a coherent "form" of the game. Like I always like to repeat - nobody has ever said that making games is easy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    I hate ever having multiple quests of any type. The only way I like it, is when it's done like say NWN1/2/BG where you are sent on a quest, and that's all you do. Each step can be varied, like at the start in NWN2 they do some mundane crap for a tutorial, but then you have to rush off and save your village from a big attack, then your quest is to go and recover a relic from a cave, then you have to take the relic to Neverwinter which is a long journey and requires lots of exploring, chats, and battles along the way.

Occasionally you get some small side quest but they are few and far between and mostly you are focused on the one big storyline which is the only real quest you have. That's how RPG's should be. The whole idea of "side quests" is bad. As is having lots of quests. It should be like a movie, like Indiana Jones or something. His quest is searching for the Arc, and it might take him to lots of different places and require lots of different little quests like getting info from a guy or locating the circle thing etc.. But it is all part of his one main quest.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Apparently not. We haven't even gotten all the origin characters. Looks like mid 2017 at the earliest.

^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    They're starting to posting lore stuff on their site: http://www.divinity.game/divine-order

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Zzzzzzzzzzz I fucking hate game stories. It seems less childish than the first one though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    After the Fourth Great War, the world was peaceful for a while, but then the evil forces of The Lord of Badness went to war with The Divine Being and it was really bad. This era was known as The Dark Times in the history of Derpia. The war lasted 1000 years and much blood was shed, and after The Dark Times were over, The Divine Being set up a special council to make sure that The Lord of Badness could never return again. But a corrupt Wizard by the name of Lucifercer The Lord of Naughtiness, he had been expelled from the Council of Righteousness, and he started his own sect called The Dark Order of Emö. This evil sect wanted to take over the world so they were casting a spell that would rip open the catacombs of "The Dark Place" and then resurrect The Lord of Badness. They captured all of The Council of Righteousness in a forcefield and the world was helpless. Then a farmboy by the name of Player_1 finds a magical ring under a turnip, and it imbues his body with the mystical and convenient power of Source, and he goes on quests with 3 other people and get super strong and then save the world. But will the power of the Source corrupt him?! Or will he overcome the temptation. Like Frodo and every other fantasy story ever.

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Like I also like to repeat, game writers have read only 1 book (LotR) and seen 1 movie (Aliens). You can't be surprised that everything they churn out is a variation of those two things. When they start reading something else, then maybe they'll realize that they shouldn't have been writers in the first place.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top