Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game of the Decade, 95/100 metacritic score, duh :bounce:

and then the inevitable negative codex review comes in
Nah, Larian is not mainstream enough to get those reviews, it will probably get around 85-90 on Metacritic.

And as for the Codex review, I think it will be at least neutral-positive. Unless Darth Roxor is writing it, that is. :M
dos1 got pc goty in 2014 from gamespot, the nost maintrram game media only beaten by ign

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Uhm, no, it literally tells you what the main plot is. It's not "in the title", no divinity game has ever been about this. It also gives visual spoilers for some of the fights.
Dude it literally says on the main steam description that you "join up to 3 other players - but know that only one of you will have the chance to become a God."

Edit: It seems to me like you wanted to be seen as a guy who was excited and is now disillusioned for whatever reason. Yet you don't seem to know even the basic premise of the game so I honestly wonder if you're not just trolling.
Until you just wrote that shit out, I had no idea. What the fuck, man, why would you do that to me?

:negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Uh-oh:

Google Translate said:
Large power outage in 500 streets in Ghent: traffic lights do not work, hospital works on own power
There is currently a major power outage in Ghent. Thousands of customers in about 500 streets are without electricity. Also the traffic lights in the affected zone do not work. How long the problems will last is not clear yet. At hospitals there is no problem: either they are not affected, or have their own emergency generators.

At 6.20 this morning there was an incident in the Nieuwevaart transformer station in Ghent. "There was a lot of smoke free," says Simon Van Wijmeersch of network administrator Eandis to VRT NWS. The fire brigade came on the spot to make the smoke disappear. "The cause is not clear yet."

"In total there are about two hundred distribution cabs without electricity," says Van Wijmeersch. It's about five hundred streets or thousands of customers. Especially the vicinity of the Bruges Gate and the Sluiseken are affected, but there is also a barrier in the center of Ghent.

Currently, both teams of high-voltage network operator Elia and network administrator Eandis are on the spot to review the situation. The aware power cabinet appears to be safe, which allows for a rescheduling. "We are working hard to restore the power supply. We hope everyone has electricity again as soon as possible."

Which streets do not have electricity, can be found on Eandis website .

[...]

The curse of Beyond Divinity!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The curse of Beyond Divinity!

Btw this is what I'm referring to (and Swen is by "the old days"). Swen's log from Divinity Developer's Journal (which you can acquire if you buy Divinity 2 on Steam or GOG).

If there’s one memory that stands out from the development of Beyond Divinity, then it’s the end of the process. The amount of things that went wrong in the last weeks was astounding. It all started with an email from our German distributor, telling us that the game had to ship before the end of the first quarter of 2004, or the consequences would be bad. They didn’t tell us what ‘bad’ meant in this case, but we needed their money, so we decided not to find out. Of course, we weren’t ready, so suddenly a development process that was going smooth, became a rush job

And there were a lot of environmental circumstances that conspired against us.

Notes from a diary written about the going gold process:

---

Friday

We get a letter from the electricity provider. “On Monday morning, we will cut off the electricity in this street for the entire day. We apologize for this inconvenience”. Of course, Monday is the day that we have to deliver our German master CD’s to the factory.

After some cursing, we find a firm who can install a diesel generator to provide the office with power. Luckily we find one quickly. They will install it on Saturday.

Saturday

All looks smooth. We have to burn a lot of midnight oil while fixing the last bugs, but we’re managing. The generator is installed and we get instructions on how to switch it on. We are told explicitly not to put the generator on while we still have normal power. If we do so, boom. The boom scares us a bit, and we make sure that the boom candidates (those that might cause a boom) in the office are told in excruciating detail what a boom would mean for them physically. They seem to understand.

Sunday

Sleep is a sparse commodity, but we’re nearly there. I think to myself, the generator won’t be necessary after all. The last thing to do is to write the installers and apply the copy protection. We spot a boom candidate in the vicinity of the generator. We scare him away.

Later that day the first of a series of previously unseen crash bugs shows up. We attack the bugs.

Christophe, our producer, arrives to help testing and will drive at 6:00 am in the morning to the factory to deliver the CD’s. They need to be there before 10:00am. It’s a 2 hour drive if there’s no traffic, otherwise it’s 3 hours.

Monday

We had to redo the installers seven times or so because of all kinds of bugs. Yann, the install guru, is having a hard time and hits himself each time the installer goes wrong. Time is ticking and it looks like we’ll be a couple of hours late delivering the CD’s to the factory. Still, we assume they have a buffer, so there’s no real panic.

I prepare to switch on the generator and in doing so, draw a crowd of tired developers. The problem is, I don’t remember which button I was supposed to switch on first. I think of boom. I push the button that seems to be the most logical. Good user interface design as it’s the correct one.

Our lead QA needs to test the gold master version. Instead of copying the files from the fileserver to his HD, he erases them from the fileserver. He’s pretty tired and has been working very hard, so nobody blames him. Could’ve happened to any of us. We wake ourselves up and restart the build process. An installer needs to be rewritten because Kirill absolutely wants one final music update.

The installers seem to have one final small little problem. The start menu link doesn’t work. It turns out that the copy protected executable doesn’t like its shortcut. It’s afternoon when we figure that out.

Christophe reports that the highway to the factory is closed. There’s been an accident.

Seeing that the day is conspiring against us, I call the factory and tell them that they’ll have to be creative and flexible. If they won’t, I assure them I’ll find other flexible and creative factories. They agree.

I tell the guys we have gained an extra day. Most of go to sleep with the plan of waking up in the evening, and then focus on making a perfect version. Fabrice, the programmer in charge of the copy protection says he’ll continue to talk to the copy protection people until a solution is found for the install problem.

Tuesday

We arrive shortly after midnight and to our dismay find no mail from Fabrice. I hesitate as I don’t want to wake him up, but ultimately find myself with no choice but calling him. We get a small heart rhythm failure when we hear Fabrice’s mobile phone. Then it starts to dawn on us that maybe he’s still in the office. Sure enough, we find him upstairs sleeping. He has slept two hours when we find him. He has solved all the problems and earns a lot of gratitude from us. We start building the final installers and take the extra time to solve a few bugs which David has discovered.

Christophe arrives at 6:00 am, ready to go to the factory. We’re having problems with the installer. We forgot a couple of files. We rebuild the installers.

We test the game. Sometimes it goes very slow and occasionally it hangs. We don’t know what is happening. It turns out it’s one of the copy protection routines which was added at the last moment. We change the code, rebuild the installers, burn the CD’s.

In the afternoon the copy protection people tell us that the game CD had to be of a very specific size. The CD we delivered was not of that size. We have to redo everything. Since it’s too late to give the updated version to the factory, we use the extra time to do a few tweaks. By now a number of CD burners have stopped working, plenty of the strangest bugs have popped up and a German and an English version have been mixed up.

Wednesday

At 6 am Christophe drives to the factory. Everything seems to work so we happily commence working on the English master. We declare the German version gold though we decide not to make it public until they are actually printing the damned things.

Thursday

The factory calls. There are problems with the glass masters and the copy protection. The install CD doesn’t work on their systems and when running the game, it says it’s a crack. We call the copy protection people. They say it’s the fault of the factory. The factory says it’s the fault of the copy protection people. Then they look at us and say it’s our fault.

I call a few other developers who used the same copy protection. They all had the same misery but they did all manage in the end. It seems that in their experience it was the fault of the both the factory and the copy protection people.

Ultimately, it turns out to be the fault of the factory. They declared the install CD invalid though we were able to install it on 17 CDROM drives of various makes in our office. They also managed to mess up the copy protection. They do manage to send an invoice for their extra services.

We start rebuilding everything, writing the CD’s at one speed on the highest possible quality CD’s we can find with the best burner we can get. We prepare a machine with a burner and prep Christophe and Fabrice to go to the factory armed with 5 masters on different CD’s. We further arm them with a big hammer with explicit instructions to make it very clear to the factory that nobody’s going to mess with us. We’re a crew of very tired angry developers who want their game to go into production.

In the end, it turns out that one of the masters was good enough and the game can officially be declared gold.

---

One week after this, frustration strikes. Hard. Obviously, given the rush job, there were issues with the release so we needed to release a patch, but the copy protection, the very thing that caused so much problems, prevented us from doing so.

The type of protection we used relied on encrypting the data that the engine needed to run the game. In the case of Beyond Divinity, we had about 600Mb of such data, and in theory that meant that cracks should also be at least 600Mb in size.

For ourselves, we had a special tool, which allowed us to make small patches. Except that it didn’t work. Meaning that we either had to release a 600Mb patch (unthinkable at the time), or find a way around it. After a lot of cursing, we came up with a pretty elegant solution, which boiled down to us cracking our own game.

We released a patch that used a loophole to first unencrypt all of the data, and then recompressed it without the copy protection active. We never really told people why it took so long to install the patch, nor did we tell them that installing the patch effectively meant that the copy protection was removed, but it did save the day.

For ourselves, we learned that we didn’t like DRM one bit.

Beyond Divinity went on to sell a decent amount of units, but it was nowhere near the success that Divine Divinity had been. However, this time around, we did earn money with it and Larian was officially declared saved.

It was time to set our sights on bigger things… yet it took us three years before we finally got to work.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is coming,in a few hours will be out.I hope that it will be good.A week at the Greek beaches and a few days with D:OS2,that is the life!

Ranarama

Learned
Is combat going to be a case of waiting forever for enemy turns to finish? I don't care about their animations - and watching an idiot wave their hands for multiple seconds to do *part* of a turn is just not on.

Part of the reason I like turn based games is because, paradoxically, they can be faster than real time ones. D:OS fucking ate shit in that regard.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is combat going to be a case of waiting forever for enemy turns to finish? I don't care about their animations - and watching an idiot wave their hands for multiple seconds to do *part* of a turn is just not on.

Part of the reason I like turn based games is because, paradoxically, they can be faster than real time ones. D:OS fucking ate shit in that regard.

Yes. Larian is so cool and in tune with their audience, they just couldnt implement a fucking combat speed slider. the technology just isnt there yet...

Meanwhile here's useless co-op and DM mode. lulz

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dude it literally says on the main steam description that you "join up to 3 other players - but know that only one of you will have the chance to become a God."

Edit: It seems to me like you wanted to be seen as a guy who was excited and is now disillusioned for whatever reason. Yet you don't seem to know even the basic premise of the game so I honestly wonder if you're not just trolling.

I did not know any of this because I wasn't looking for spoilers. so the trailer spoiled it for me. It also gives visual spoilers for some of the fights, which I also didn't want. And no, I wasn't "excited" from the start, trust me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Complaining about story spoilers in a trailer is just common stupidity but complaining that you see gameplay is so infinitely :retarded: that it has to be a troll if my faith in the basic sanity-level of the human condition is to remain preserved

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, I don't want them to spoil a big fight like they show at the end of the trailer, call me crazy but I want some surprises in the gameplay department. Wait, is this some covert attempt at defending Larian? Lollololololololo

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So as for now you can only buy this game on Steam or GoG? No GamersGate, no GMG, no nothing. You can't even buy it in Larian's own shop lol. Also no keys on poorfag sites like G2A. Wtf?

I really like to buy it on GoG but those dumbfucks weren't able to get their shit with Galaxy together in the last 2 years. They're always late with releases, late with patches, the download takes forever and sometimes they release a borked patch they had to fix (Don't Starve, Wasteland 2). I like their cashback policy but Galaxy is maddening.

Maybe keys will appear on other legit sites once the game is out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Don't use Galaxy? I don't like it either. Yeah, GOG are slow with patches, but AFAIK it's because they test them or some crap like that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
defending Larian?

Div:OS is a mediocre+ game with story and writing so shitty I don't give a rat's ass about neither (and think it's hilarious that a self-proclaimed writing geek cares in anyway about this material) I'm just here for the supadupacool gameplay and my biggest hope for Div:OS 2 is more of the openness of Cyseal and less of the shitty slog of the late game.

So: no. Nice try though

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I finished it twice, once co-op, once solo. The latter was a much better experience despite the good company

Lacrymas

Arcane
Div:OS is a mediocre+ game with story and writing so shitty I don't give a rat's ass about neither (and think it's hilarious that a self-proclaimed writing geek cares in anyway about this material) I'm just here for the supadupacool gameplay and my biggest hope for Div:OS 2 is more of the openness of Cyseal and less of the shitty slog of the late game.

So: no. Nice try though
Oh, please, you won't recognize good writing or a good game anywhere, so don't blame anyone else for caring. Whether or not I care about writing, or any specific writing, doesn't have anything to do with my unwillingness to be spoiled, so shut your cock-holster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom