Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #10: Hall of Echoes Stretch Goal Unlocked

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The problem is that they'll be wasting time they could spend on a good feature, on a piece of shit feature. To satisfy lonely losers.

Aenra

The problem is that people as happy, satisfied and enthusiastic about their lives as the current writing bunch can in no way deliver something the codex could appreciate

That i could agree with :)

You then however proceed to state this:

To satisfy lonely losers
After which statement one comprehends the nature of the problem.. your views are not only flawed, overgeneralising and almost of fascist a nature, they are also shallow. Your problem is yourself, by definintion, not the content. Deciding for yourself what constitutes a loser, a loner, or both and then extrapolating for bold rules to be applied in 'your' gaemz, forevah? Go back to kindergarten. If they'll take you.

Mustawd

After which statement one comprehends the nature of the problem.. your views are.... almost of fascist a nature

fas·cism
ˈfaSHˌizəm/
noun
  1. an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

Yeah, calling people who want romances in RPGs lonely losers is totally the same thing as facism...:roll:

Aenra

If that's what you got out of my comment .. you are more than free to believe it :)
Have fun joining the other moron in the kindergarten.

Edit: You really are an idiot, do not prove yourself to me, am aware already.
Fascist you idiot, as in over-generalising, applying a tag that must a priori apply to all and any participants, without their consent or chance of expressing their own reasoning. Grow up, or go join him.

Black

Arcane
Where are people supposed to donate if they want to keep romances out of their games?

Mustawd

If that's what you got out of my comment .. you are more than free to believe it :)
Have fun joining the other moron in the kindergarten.

Edit: You really are an idiot, do not prove yourself to me, am aware already.
Fascist you idiot, as in over-generalising, applying a tag that must a priori apply to all and any participants, without their consent or chance of expressing their own reasoning. Grow up, or go join him.

No, your facism reference is a lazy insult. That's all it is. There is literally zero link between people who insult lonely losers, such as yourself, and the general idea of facism....If anything, it shows your ignorance of the political movement in europe, the word itself, and overall logic.

If anyone is facist here it's you. Damn Nazi.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is that they'll be wasting time they could spend on a good feature, on a piece of shit feature. To satisfy lonely losers.

Uh, honest question as I lack a programming background, but isn't romance in video games basically just a work for the writing team? Any dialogue heavy game should already have some kind of flagging mechanism that should work well enough to implement either a "relationship gauge" or flag/event based romance. Basically the only people getting more work are the writing team, and compared to adding new race (with the promoted highly reactive environment to your race/background), a series of dialogues contained within each character seems to be much simpler.

Mustawd

Uh, honest question as I lack a programming background, but isn't romance in video games basically just a work for the writing team? Any dialogue heavy game should already have some kind of flagging mechanism that should work well enough to implement either a "relationship gauge" or flag/event based romance. Basically the only people getting more work are the writing team, and compared to adding new race (with the promoted highly reactive environment to your race/background), a series of dialogues contained within each character seems to be much simpler.

Haven't you read about D:OS's issue with writing? Why tax those guys with more to do? Seriously...they struggled with hitting the right tone last game with NO romances..why would you trust them to get either the main story and romances right?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Who says that they're going to be contained? In the Codex interview, the writers mentioned that they liked the idea of giving in-game benefits to characters in a romance. Plus, it would be very strange if pregnancies didn't result in stat changes for the host body.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haven't you read about D:OS's issue with writing? Why tax those guys with more to do? Seriously...they struggled with hitting the right tone last game with NO romances..why would you trust them to get either the main story and romances right?
The last one had one writer and one additional, this one has far more than that.

Additionally, it also had a bit of a barebones romance between the two mains and multiple romantic subplots with NPCs.

Mustawd

Well, last time "those guys" was actually just one guy.

The last one had one writer and one additional, this one has far more than that.

Additionally, it also had a bit of a barebones romance between the two mains and multiple romantic subplots with NPCs.

Fair enough....but it's still hardly encouraging. I dunno....I've read countless novels with real romance...7/10 times professional authors, in a time tested medium, still fuck it up. i mean have any of other codexers experienced a real romance? That real experience is hard to write for...especially for adult males. For teenagers...meh...anything with melodrama will do. But it'll take more than something superficial for me to really enjoy the romance aspect of it. And I just think that vidja is too much in its infancy to produce something of good enough quality to capture all the nuance, emotion, and exhilaration of a legit romantic relationship.

I'd say of all the games I played that Gone Home did a good job...even if it was in a teen angst viewpoint. At least it was a realistic teen angst...

EDIT: Best romance in a novel is Farewell to arms by Hemingway..why?

because fuck you and your concept of a happy ending, that's why

Last edited by a moderator:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who says that they're going to be contained? In the Codex interview, the writers mentioned that they liked the idea of giving in-game benefits to characters in a romance. Plus, it would be very strange if pregnancies didn't result in stat changes for the host body.

Yeah it would be very strange if it didn't. Hey, what about new pregnant character models? All races should have one! Oh on that notion why not consider the risk miscarriage on pregnancy? Pregnant character should make saving throw against it for every damage!

Fair enough....but it's still hardly encouraging. I dunno....I've read countless novels with real romance...7/10 times professional authors, in a time tested medium, still fuck it up.

Well hopefully the writing team manage to pull up to be the 3/10 that doesn't fuck up. Give them a benefit of doubt shall we? And if it is proven to be shitty then next time we would all learn from the experience.

An really, if you are talking about the realistic aspect in RPGs, well, most of the human interactions in RPGs (and novels, and books, and movies) do not always feels realistic either. Should we remove the writing because of that?

Mustawd

An really, if you are talking about the realistic aspect in RPGs, well, most of the human interactions in RPGs (and novels, and books, and movies) do not always feels realistic either. Should we remove the writing because of that?

I'm not talking realistic..I'm talking about writing that is at least immersive and believable. But Larian are bros...I just hope they implement them in a way that's innocuous and/or optional. I don't play RPGs for romances.

Fairfax

Arcane
Where are people supposed to donate if they want to keep romances out of their games?
Cancel your pledge and then buy it through paypal after the campaign is over, I guess. It's what I did.

Black

Arcane
Guy, you don't even have 10k brofists, get outta here.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
After which statement one comprehends the nature of the problem.. your views are not only flawed, overgeneralising and almost of fascist a nature, they are also shallow. Your problem is yourself, by definintion, not the content. Deciding for yourself what constitutes a loser, a loner, or both and then extrapolating for bold rules to be applied in 'your' gaemz, forevah? Go back to kindergarten. If they'll take you.

:butthurt:

norolim

Arcane
This thread right now:

baby-ultimate-fighting.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO romances in games can only be good if they are a part of main storyline and actually serve as a storytelling tool to, well, tell a better and more complete story. Too bad this is almost never the case. Which is why romances are so bad in Bioware games, where they are just optional fanservice content amounting to choose-your-own-fuckbuddy.

And my prediction is they will not be any good in D:OS 2 too, because while this game's story will probably be better developed than in the first game, it will still play second fiddle to the systemics-based gameplay, and serve mostly as context for the crazy and fun shenanigans you will be able to do abusing the systems. That means any effort put into romances will be more or less wasted, except serving as pandering to Bioware audience.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Romances would work really well in an ERPGAY, but you'd really have to include it in the core of the writing. If you try to write in multiple romances between multiple genders and races and sexual fetishes then it makes fuckall sense. Well, as a shallow dressing maybe, but then you'd have to keep it casual like that. Characters bang and get over with it. Kinda like Jagged Alliance mercs have "relationships".

Would be cool to have a game that'd have very contained relationship(s) between a few characters, involving tons of c&c and influencing the character development and shit. But that sort of design is teh hard.

Larian just should make Dragon Commander: the RPG, I'd bang romance those waifus.

Black

Arcane
you do realise Baldurs gate one and two had perfectly done romances and were CRPGS also you should really learn to spell....Romance is pretty much depth to charachters.
Yes would like romance options...probably won't happen though...
Hope there will be romance in this one...
I enjoy well done romances, add some nice additional depth to the character relationships and I love seeing how it shapes my view of the world. At the end of the day I play most CRPGs for the characters within them.
your favorite game "Planescape Torment" has romance options in it as does Baldurs gate 1 and 2 (as was said below) So far three of your favorite games had romance....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom