Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by LESS T_T, Aug 12, 2015.

1. pakoito Arcane

pakoito

As of right now you can, only on multiplayer, and one player is the main driver, as in DOS. Subject to change etc.
    Chris is more involved than expected, and one of the answers I missed said that we has actually improving other writer's ideas because they've done before on A or B game.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    pakoito Did you notice if there was anybody else recording this? An official recording, perhaps?

^ Top  
  3. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    I approached Swen after it and asked whether he wanted my recording, so I guess there isn't an official one. I looked around and didn't see any cameras recording either, that's why I decided to pull up my phone and do it.

Holding my low spec Xiaomi for 30 minutes didn't yield the best video quality, I know :(

EDIT: Video 3 is available now too. That's the one with the Codex questions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Lame. I imagine there'll be a writeup about it at PC Gamer at least.

^ Top  
  5. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    The game wasn't on the showfloor, this was a Swen-only gig. Maybe a press pass, but it seemed unlikely.

^ Top  
  6. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    That's actually something mods probably can fix :lol:. Making 4 character creation in D:OS 1 was pretty easy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    That's so Chris. Once he starts, he can't stop.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Until getting shut down by a project director, of course. Do Larian have such figures? Inb4 Durance Extreme Edition, a companion with twenty times more content than every other character in the game

^ Top  
  9. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I imagine that would be David Walgrave as producer, the guy who has me ignored. :)

^ Top  
  10. Ivan Arcane

Ivan

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Watching this now. At around 10 minutes or so he starts going into deeper detail about stuff.

Every character will have an origin story. Some origins have racial constraints - like a certain origin can only belong to a Lizard PC. But others can apply to all races.

Larian discovers classic C&C. Same dialogue, different characters:

[​IMG]

Vault Dweller You won't be able to ignore them anymore soon!

The expanded lore leads to various interesting racial skills.

Elves can eat dead people and absorb their memories, which can have all sorts of effects. A human cannibal would just become infected with a disease, and a zombie would heal himself.

Lone Wolf characters might meet other Lone Wolf characters in the world who recognize them as such.

Swen mentions C&C that goes as far as destroying entire areas in the game.

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  12. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    LoL at "stupid."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Swen shows an example of how multiplayer has improved the single player experience. The game allows other characters in your party to continue playing while one of them is in dialogue, and the game is actually designed to work with this. If you try to talk to a guard and walk past him with somebody else, the other guards will notice - they're not "locked in dialogue mode".

Competitive questing - two characters competing to finish the same quest, a third character comes and just pickpockets the quest reward from the NPC before they finish. The game is scripted to handle this.

"D:OS 1 led to marriages, D:OS 2 will lead to divorces" :)

Swen shows a situation where some characters in the party can actually strand the other characters on an island. They can come back later to pick them up with their boat, if they want. :M

(but there are other ways to get off)

There's a "Security Level" mechanic inspired by Invisible Inc, for simulating crime and mischief.

You can turn your own party members in to the guards using this.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  14. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Original Sin of the Caribbean ?

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Two characters in the party joining different factions with opposing goals.

Swen describes his "N+2" design paradigm again. Guards who allow humans and elves to pass, maybe lizards if you can convince them, never dwarves. Dwarves have a tunnel they can go through, or they can sneak.

There's always another solution. This allows the designers to make individual solutions very hard.

Crazy shit from the first game at https://youtu.be/Uyg9EZtVRSM?t=1985 :)

Why N+2 and not N+1? Because it's multiplayer, so if the "fallback option" is an item, one player could hoard it to himself. So there's a fallback to the fallback.

Skillbook crafting - combine two skillsbooks to create another skillbook. Some skills are only available this way.

Lacerate + Rain = Blood Rain

Create a blood puddle, then heal in it if you're a zombie.

Talking to spirits. Kill the poisoned mayor, then ask her who poisoned her.

Talk is over, four minutes of questions.

Question about death - it's permanent, unless somebody else resurrects you.

Good god, what a shitty crowd.

"Why did you change to turn-based combat, the old Divinity games were action"

Rock paper scissors is removed. Arguments are resolved via the "relationship system".

That's it!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  16. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    For fuck's sake just allow full party creation .

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. rashiakas Savant

rashiakas
    hold a to craft :rage:

^ Top  
  18. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  19. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Not super many revelations here. The dwarf tunnel, the blood rain (and may the zombie blood puddle) were already mentioned during Kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just watched the video - nice recap.
    Couldn't figure out what this will actually look like. One character wants to respectfully bury a corpse, another wants to strip search it, and neither one wants to back down - what happens?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    It works by comparing between the relationship system stats and telling you who won, I guess. (Those same stats are then modified by the choices the characters made so it's a constantly evolving thing)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Rock Paper Scissors removed?

Though so far my biggest worry is that they won't incline the writing.
    DOS writing was my biggest gameplay hurdle (to the point where I still haven't completed the game despite, for example, excellent and immensely fun combat mechanics). Getting through non-combat quest gameplay feels like just that much of chore despite quests themselves being nicely structured with interesting and reasonable solutions (I still plan to beat it, mind you).

Though TBH between MCA and not losing capable dialogue writers to parallel project I'm pretty confident that DOS2 will be a massive improvement on all fronts as long as no one does anything stupid (translation: don't lose Larian flavoured humour to either political correctness or desire to get serious, sure do build your serious and engaging setting if it's your ambition and you're confident you can do it, but don't give up on humour this is what pretty much made the previous Divinity games).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. kazgar Arcane

kazgar

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    :fuuyeah:

^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1533062

They'll be showing the new combat system at PAX East.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)