Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by LESS T_T, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Now he's talking about combat improvements.

The addition of height as a factor. Napalm-like necrofire that can't be doused by water, created by applying a curse to regular fire. That can be vaporized to create a cursed cloud.

You can polymorph yourself into another race, gaining all of that race's skills. In dialogue you'll be treated as a member of that race.

There's also cursed oil. Swen doesn't want to say what it does.

"Many people are skeptical of our Game Master mode, including some of the writers at RPS" +M

Pretty rushed talk. Question time now.

"You can talk to animals and you can talk to ghosts. Can you kill a dog and talk to its ghost?" "Yes."

lol

Swen doesn't want to talk about Game Master mode yet.

Modding improvements - the simpler stuff will be made easier to do (placing tiles and characters, etc). Complex stuff will still be complex, though (but they'll try to improve documentation)

Example of competitive play - two different factions want to learn the secret of Necrofire. Different players might want to get it for their chosen faction.

Take a green poison potion and dye it red to look like a health potion to poison your buddies :P

Swen says the game has multiple world maps you progress through. This seems to imply that there's some gating, but according to him it's a "very little" amount.

Writing stuff - elves all speak in the present tense, because they don't understand the concept of history.

Swen hints at a culture clash between Sarah Baylus and the Irish writers, heh.

They thought Fort Joy would take two hours to play, but then it took players six hours to finish it. Swen hints that a lot of cutting and trimming goes on behind the scenes.

Different origins hate each other, by design. Lizards hate humans. It'll be much harder for characters from those origins to get into a positive relationship.

And it's over.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    Typical video game bullshit . Seems like it's beyond developers understanding that characters of the same race can have different views and cultural aspects because of their different origins . But I hope I wrong though .

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

Feeling is mutual you stupid lizards.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    all this multiplayer talk is great, however none of my IRL friends are playing this game or other RPG :<

^ Top  
  5. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I don't think most people's problems with the original were down to game mechanics, except maybe the speed of combat, the writing, characters and plot were a big issue for people to keep playing past the first half of the game.

So far they have been talking about improvements to the game mechanics, with a lot of superfluous stuff being mentioned, stuff that most of us will never use beyond a solution to particular quest or another.

What will make or brake this game will be the writing and character, it has to be light-years better than the first game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    depend on their new writers and how much control and input avellone has :M

^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

:M+M:M

"3689 dead animal dialogs", huh.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I doubt MCA is in charge of anything at larian.

^ Top  
  9. Space Insect Arcane

Space Insect
    With all this stuff about players trying to kill each other, it reminds me of Paranoia.

^ Top  
  10. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    What about the.... single player game?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    How many people actually played original sin multiplayer? I think the market that they are pitching too is simply not there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    They should have analytics data - I mean, the doubled down on the multiplayer for the EE / console version, so I assume, their metrics supported that, or Sven just liked it himself.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh, I forgot to mention, in the talk he said a third of players played multiplayer. Of course I don't know for how long.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    The metrics were shows at some point, multiplayer full games was ridiculously low, can't remember but below 10 to 5% for sure.

^ Top  
  15. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Interesting but yea, weight that percentage by time played and then we'll have real information.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    I played about half of Cyseal in MP. It got really clusterfucky whenever we needed to do inventory cleanup/buy items and what not. A lot of hurry up and wait.

^ Top  
  17. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Full game as in "played the game completely through in multiplayer"? And 5-10% off all players or of all who finished the game?

^ Top  
  18. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    I think it is:

That's the crème de la crème of our forums, all playing the game in co-op. If even the opinion makers on the Codex don't care about single player anymore, why should Larian?

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  19. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I played vanilla in single player and I have a save file for EE in single player. Bought console EE to play with my brother. I would not have played it in co-op with anyone else. For me, the single player experience is still the most important factor.

^ Top  
  20. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Because if you poll the number of distinct users who posted in the DOS thread and played it, and the number who played it MP are ~10% or less, it's a waste of resources.

Also, crème de la crème?

:nocountryforshitposters:

^ Top  
  21. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    They have an incoming GM mode (which I'm guessing will be part for single player modules bit also for modules to play with friends) as well as a good amount of resources to play on consoles.

To me they've already made the investment in multiplayer. It'd be dumb not to play and hype it up.

However, I am not sure I want the AI doing all the dumb "competitive rpg" shenanigans if I'm playing single player. So I do hope to hear more about that. Cuz being poisoned by a red-dyed potion can be fun with ypur friends, but might get old of done by your companions...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    To be fair, we stopped our Coop playthrough about halfway through because it was insufferable. If they worked out the kinks though, the interest is there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    After recovering from an attack of the vapours brought on by such praise from Bubbles I have to admit that co-op didn't proceed as smoothly as anticipated. Both of us wanted to go our own separate ways and imho playing in co-op limited the freedom to play the game that I wanted, even though it was initially quite a novelty. In the end it just became a chore. Also, I never completed D:OS because I found it just too dull.

INB4 you backed D:OS2. Yes, but Swen could sell me my own clothes and I'd be grateful for the opportunity to buy them again.

^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  25. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Its simply another niche market theyre adressing. For some it will actually influence their decision wether to buy this game or not.

The only direct competition in that sector are the infinity games.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)