Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Tigranes

Arcane
afaik this is due to sven philosophy of never locking player out of options/clues, regardless of actions. There is option to learn specific piece of info through steal/talk/kill. If you do all 3 you read same thing 3 times
I don't mean quest information, just general lore. You can ask pretty much everyone what they think about the Immaculates and the non-Immaculates would say "they are a creepy blood cult which carry out sacrifices OooooOoOooOO", and the Immaculates would say "The Goddess is great! Step on my throat, mommy!" in different wordings. There is no world-building or even any lore to speak of, just the same thing over and over again.

You can't expect every non-essential NPC to have unique dialogue. It's like most RPGs in that way.

Also, not sure how you can say there's hardly any lore. There's tons of lore in this game.

Not that any of the lore is wanted. It's a generic fantasy town and you take orders from Gandalf with a cat fetish, and then there's your typical overwrought "wow so epic" END OF TIME nonsense bogged down even further by annoying obnoxious narrator imp.

DOS is best understood as a series of nice playgrounds for your murderhobos to steal, teleport, explode barrels, loot, and have plenty of fun doing it. Cyseal reaches a step above that because it manages to carry through some of that Ultima feels and connect the gameplay to a relatively engaging mystery hunt. Doesn't really happen again for the rest of both games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, speaking of lore, I forgot to mention the second piece of lore in the entire game which is worth something - Maradino's stories. I was more invested in his quarrels with his mother than anything else. I liked the language he used for her and the way he described his attempts to skirt her rules.

Does anybody know a place where the Maths behind DOS1' combat resolutions are covered? The in-game tooltips suggest DR from armor would scale with enemy Level, for instance. E.g. "against enemies of your Level, …." As to general to-hit chance calculations, damage calculations or saving throws against spells/abilities, there's not much to be found in-game. The sequel seems to be pretty tight-lipped on this also, so this doesn't appear unique to DOS1 (yet to play both actually). The sequel's wiki seems to contain sections outlining how players went into the game's pak files in an attempt to determine exact formulas.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Starting this for the first time in the morning, don't ask me why it took so long. I made my characters tonight and made a fighter and rogue, but then I looked at the companion list and saw it's only 4 people, two of them a fighter and rogue. Quick question... are the wizard and ranger good, since they'll be my obvious choices? The ranger looks kinda derpy, so considering starting over and making a ranger so I can take the fighter instead.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Starting this for the first time in the morning, don't ask me why it took so long. I made my characters tonight and made a fighter and rogue, but then I looked at the companion list and saw it's only 4 people, two of them a fighter and rogue. Quick question... are the wizard and ranger good, since they'll be my obvious choices? The ranger looks kinda derpy, so considering starting over and making a ranger so I can take the fighter instead.
Isn't the combat very "Souls-esque"? In my experience whenever you go archer or sorcerer in these kind of games it's boring. Being an archer usually boils down to backpedalling and pressing LMB for 40 hours straight. And being sorcerer means pew-pewing fireballs 90% of the time. Melee usually is where it's at.

Zeriel

Arcane
Isn't the combat very "Souls-esque"? In my experience whenever you go archer or sorcerer in these kind of games it's boring. Being an archer usually boils down to backpedalling and pressing LMB for 40 hours straight. And being sorcerer means pew-pewing fireballs 90% of the time. Melee usually is where it's at.

Yes, turn-based combat is very Souls-like...:M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yes, turn-based combat is very Souls-like...:M

:lol:

Fuck me, I just woke up, my brian is still warming up.

I thought I'm in the Outward thread for some reason.

Disregard, shut it down, shut it down.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Take the wizard as well, in my opinion he has by far the most interesting background of the characters in the game and he will cameo in DivOS2 as well.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, it's obvious choice in your case since ranger is fucking good (if you're playing enhanced ed) and wizard will let you feel all kinds of enviromental gimmicks so you get the idea of what normies talking about all the time regarding this game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are no classes in this game. They start out with these skills but you can easily give them others.

JDR13

Arcane

I'd advise going fighter+wizard. The NPC wizard is good, but there are 5 classes of magic and you can't master them all with 1 magic user. Take the Pyrokinetic and Geomancer skills if you do make a wizard. The one who joins you has air and water magic.

chuft

Augur
I was unimpressed with the "two daggers rogue" thing. Ranger goes heavy on Perception since they need it for ranged attacks and end up being the best one to take finding traps. Rogue seemed kind of useless and not as fun as wizards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Perception is pointless on rangers because they have True Shot or Far Sight, or whatever that buff was that grants like 40% to-hit chance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The main menu music is, I think, a melody and sample from the public domain. I'm playing the Witcher 1 out of morbid curiosity and the same melody with the same timbre appears from time to time.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Flutter of a Butterfly is great (I don't remember if that's what plays on the beach).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"Lullibies For Your Inner Dragon" is probably my fave so far wandering around the opening town, but they're all pretty good. Need to get out of this town though, I think I'm 4 hours in and haven't fought a battle since the brief tutorial ones.

JDR13

Arcane
Need to get out of this town though, I think I'm 4 hours in and haven't fought a battle since the brief tutorial ones.

I spent around 8 hours or something close to that just doing quests in Cyseal. Make sure you leave via the East gate when you're ready to explore outside.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I spent around 8 hours or something close to that just doing quests in Cyseal. Make sure you leave via the East gate when you're ready to explore outside.

I went West 'cause someone mentioned the skeleton forces being weaker there, which I figured was a hint. They were level 4 and I was level 3 though, so I guess you're right. It was a little difficult but not too bad. Big swarm of like 10 enemies at the top of the hill that I died on a few times but once I used some scrolls I beat them. Combat seems fun so far, but nothing amazing. I can see why some people hate the style and writing, it's like a CRPG Fable. Not my favorite thing in the world, but seems okay. Leveling stats and abilities seems really slow, unless you start getting more points later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom