Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin has the best CRPG combat system of all time

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Not only that, it ruined other turn-based CRPGs for me. None of them compare to D:OS in the fun department, it's not even close.

(Note that when I say Divinity: Original Sin I mean the classic version of the first game. Not the enhanced version that ruined it with all the balancing, nor the sequel that utterly demolished it with that awful armor system.)

Agree/Disagree? If you want to list your own examples that's fine, just as long as they don't have Vancian spellcasting and they're not RTwP.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Not sure if it fits more under mechanics or balancing, but while level interactivity is always a good thing in my book, I think even D:OS went overboard with elemental effects. They would've been fine if kept to some reasonable local/small area effects but seeing entire screen in flames or something was just too much. So for me UFO:XCom remains unrivaled, mostly on account of almost complete terrain destructibility.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I really tried to learn and like the system. With 1 friend we tried to coop the game 5 times! And in those 5 times we had to reroll characters and restart the campaign because our builds were not viable for the game story progression. The farthest we went was with boring traditional classes of 1 Tank (warrior) 2 Mages and 1 Ranger.
Also the backstabbing system was BROKEN for so long. It was just a game of finding the backstabbing lone pixel on enemy characters, and when clicking at the last moment would turn into a normal attack. Long story short we stopped, it was making us INSANE.

Now I tried the enhanced edition with an other friend, and I just had PTSD from the regular edition that I was not able to go beyond the first town.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Pity everything else about DOS is shit tier, unfortunately to the point whereas promise of mathematical heaven of TB combat is not enough to endure past prologue.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat system is awesome, but the character system has many questionable elements.

If you used the same combat system in a game with more reasonable char development, it would truly be the best ever.
But in its current form? Not quite.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wtf of course ToEE combat shits all over D:OS. this isn't even up for debate.

maybe you could make a case that, as a whole package, D:OS might be a better game than ToEE, that's fine; but this thread here is specifically about the combat and ToEE's combat shits all over D:OS from a height so high you'd think God himself did it.

And, btw, Knights of the Chalice in turn shits all over ToEE :)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The combat system is awesome, but the character system has many questionable elements.

If you used the same combat system in a game with more reasonable char development, it would truly be the best ever.
But in its current form? Not quite.

This.
Although I think it would still lack some other equally important aspects to truly make it the best turn based combat system.
And that is better enemy design, AI and the skills.
Enemy design and AI should be on the level of Battle Brothers. Skills should be distinct, versatile and have clear strengths + drawbacks. Also even within a similiar class, skills should be diferent - take for example two "heavy" warrior characters with 2H weapons; the only difference between the two being, one uses a sword and the other an axe; the swordsman should be about crowd control, while the axeman about inflicting as much damage on 1 oponent (and the axe could be used to destroy equipment, objects, doors, ballistas, etc).

If ever fill like giving D:OS 2 a go, and don't mind using mods, I made a thread that migth help you out: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/definitive-edition-mod-thread.130123/

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Coming from someone with IQ so low that they dislike blobbers but insist on being an authoritative source on RPGs, AND having the horrendous RTWP as the majority in a top 10 list, which is an objectively inferior form of combat.

My official top 10 is posted on my blog:

Top%2B10%2BBest%2BPC%2BRPGs%2Bof%2BAll%2BTime.png

6 out of 10 are turn-based.
6 out of 10 are gun-based.

There's a reason there are no blobbers in sight - it's because blobbers suck.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
You are right, I was incorrect on the count of RTWP decline that you love. However, you refuse to acknowledge one of the main types of RPGs which are also one of the most pure to being RPGs and as such I cannot reconcile with you.

P.S. Gunshit is banal boringshit compared to fantasy settings.

edit: And YOU are a faggot, before you ask me to clarify on what I mean again.

editx2: The reason there are no blobbers in sight is because you're a joke. It's over Lilura, the only thing you're an authoritative source on is HRT.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Isometric is a pure as it gets, and facilitates advanced squad-based tactics. Note how 9 of the 10 are isometric or employ 3D cams that allow for a similar perspective.

Fairfax

Arcane
Coming from someone with IQ so low that they dislike blobbers but insist on being an authoritative source on RPGs, AND having the horrendous RTWP as the majority in a top 10 list, which is an objectively inferior form of combat.

My official top 10 is posted on my blog:

6 out of 10 are turn-based.
6 out of 10 are gun-based.

There's a reason there are no blobbers in sight - it's because blobbers suck.
Your list has 11 games, counting IWD/IWD2 as one for that stat is disingenuous. And Arcanum counts for both RT and TB, so you've got more RT than TB in your top 10, and a tie in your top 11.

Last edited:
It has fun combat, and the novel interactions of the elements was a great innovation. Beyond the elemental soup, I can't say it had much in the combat department that compelled me. Baldur's Gate (2) still has better spellcasting. No idea why you want to exclude that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Maybe if we pretended Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and Temple+ didn't exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom