Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'd also be in for both.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. HobGoblin42 Self-Ejected Patron Developer

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
    400,000 USD minus KS/Amazon Fees = ~350,000 USD = 270.000 EUR
    Estimated average developer wage + taxes + PC + office costs etc. = ~4.200 EUR/month
    So, they could hire 20 additional developers for about 3 months - that's a pretty nice boost content-wise if they get the organisation right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    My guess is this Kickstarter will show what we always suspected all along: hazy, unsubstansiated dreams sell better than concrete products.

There's probably a Diablo 3 pre-order joke in here somewhere.

^ Top  
  4. Snikt Novice

Snikt
    I don't understand what is so great about isometric or overhead RPG's, modern gamers seem to lack the imagination of what their characters would look like with their gear on. Nowadays developers have to model and animate these 3D characters, make textures for every new bit of clothing or gear so it appears visually when equipped, as a visual aid to players. All that is really needed is portraits, with the party positioned behind the camera, with a paperdoll for equipment.

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Let me remind you where CRPGs originated from:

[​IMG]

But yeah I guess D&D players and wargaming grognards lack imagination :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I wonder if some people actually have different miniatures for each armor they are using... :roll:

^ Top  
  7. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    o_O

The fuck. It has nothing to do with any of those. There are games suited for FP and there are games suited for top-down view.

^ Top  
  8. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You've never played Warhammer have you?

^ Top  
  9. winterraptor Cipher

winterraptor
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  10. Snikt Novice

Snikt
    That wasn't what I meant. Older RPG's with abstracted combat were able to be as complex as they were because certain things weren't visually shown. If the developers had to graphically show everything those games would never have been made. I can only imagine how many man-hours compiling all the sprite images for animations in games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate would of taken. This is true today too, if a developer set out to make an RPG that showed everything, they would need a massive budget or they would need to cut-back on content.

^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Modelling a bunch of identikit little armors and weapons in 3D isn't a big deal compared to having to, you know, render out an entire world. Which you have to do anyway.

^ Top  
  13. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Not a fan of when people do kickstarters with limited slots for the digital copies. Nevertheless I'm glad they're off to a good start. Looking forward to this one.

^ Top  
  14. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
  15. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    I've started the campaign now, for those who want to get in early. Donate here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=3

We'll keep it off the news page until the Torment KS is over though.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. lar_q Larian Studios Developer

lar_q
    Wow - the things you have to do to get your password reset on this forum - my bank has less security. And really ? Forcing me to read Todd & Pete misspell ERgo Draconis to get my password back ? Kinda cool but still...Anways - I figured I'd jump right in (and out, I've learnt from the experiences of my predecessors). Yes, we (well, I) did ruin it a little bit as detailed elsewhere in this thread, but we're scrambling, and we actually could use some feedback regarding what rewards you'd like to see.

I gathered from some posts you're not really happy with our rewards, but what I'd really like to know is, what is it that would make you... well, not happy... but ... well... less unhappy ? Honestly, we are making the type of game you guys (and occasional girl) should actually like, I think, so your thoughts actually do matter to us. (You cannot even start to imagine what this does to our psyche). So if you feel like offering some ideas, we'll pick them up (insert big disclaimer here)

Also - R. person - we welcome stats discussions. Actually, we even integrated an idea from your emissary already. I wonder if he'll pick it up. It's in the KS description. But from what you wrote/quoted, I gathered that you actually thought about this, so I'd be curious to hear your suggestions.

And thanks to all of you who have been pledging btw - you are going to be making a difference.

Toedeloe

Swen/Larian

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Thanks DU. :salute:

^ Top  
  18. May God Gently Caress You Novice

May God Gently Caress You
    I regularly read Vinche's blog and I knew Larian were at least thinking of crowd-funding for quite a long time. So, I'm another who were surprised by the timing. Reading Myrthos' take on the story, I think it's miscommunication. In fact, it's rather normal and even effective if some articles are published sometime before starting their crowd-funding. Also, Myrthos kept embargo about Kickstarter. So, I'm rather puzzled by why Larian needed to start the crowd-funding immediately simply because he published the hands-on.

^ Top  
  19. Overboard Arcane

Overboard
    One copy of OS.

^ Top  
  20. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Might be better off with a duo pack and throw Dragon Commander on top of that if it becomes an add on, we'll see.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. The Bishop Arbiter

The Bishop
    Too many cRPG kickstarters running simultaneously. They are clumped up, making them vulnerable to AOE spells.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. BobtheTree Savant

BobtheTree
    I thought I could ignore this one, but then I watched the pitch video and thought, damn, that looks like a really great CRPG experience I could have with a few buddies and now I want to back it.

I think I'll resist because the game already looks quite fantastic and it's coming out anyway. Doubt contributing to it will drastically change the quality of the game.

^ Top  
  23. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Huh, they have a weird relationship with RPGWatch. I'm positive rpgcodex gets a lot more traffic than rpgwatch, especially if forums are counted.

Launching the KS just because RPGWatch has a premature ejaculation. I just don't get it.

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
  25. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Hmmm... I loatehd DD1 first time I played it. A few months ago, i tried it, and enjoyed it. Then, pllayed DD2 and liked it. Was looking forward to the new game...

That said, this seems kind of seedy. I am not impressed by this tatic,.

Next we are gonna see EA/BIO starting a KS to finance the last 6 months of dev time for DA3. LMFAO

LAME

P.S. This isn't bashing the game itself. It looks like it will be very fun, and if I see it in stores I will pick it up most likely. But, screw their peice of crap mehtod.

L0L KS Ford gonan start a KS. L0L

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)