Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #7: Stretchgoals, Music Preview

The Bishop

Cipher
Any examples/specifics?
Well, whenever I run through a game most of the time I hear something like this:

or

or

So the usual approach is to fill most of playtime with slow and ambient kind of soundtrack.

And this is what you normally hear whilst running Divinity 2:

Notice how it builds up atmospheric tension through harmony and not sound effects. In fact as far as pure production goes this track is obviously much less polished than the other examples above. But what it loses in polishing it takes back with witty composition.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yep, modern gaming music being cinematic/orchestral pieces is a large part of what makes modern games seem so disposable to me. There are countless game soundtracks from the DOS and early Windows era I return to over and over, but not a single memorable piece from the last few years.

Zeriel

Arcane
Hell, here's an example that should shame every composer working with live orchestras:

Age of Wonders soundtrack was done in .IT/MOD format, with files measured in kilobytes, but has more feeling and emotion for me than anything I've played recently.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, whenever I run through a game most of the time I hear something like this:
Fair enough. I do know what you mean in that a lot of triple-A soundtracks tend to favor background music and ambiance rather than strong themes.

It really depends on the game. I think the subtle soundtrack in Skyrim suits the cold, harsh feeling of the landscape, for instance, and the more "serious" tone of the game. Same goes for Fallout. Deus Ex, though, I could do with more upbeat music outside of combat, and obviously Divinity 2's soundtrack really manages to capture a feeling of adventure which fits its more lighthearted tone.

I think it's just that we see more triple-A titles aiming for realism and grimdark themes that the soundtracks have to match as well, not to mention the obsession with games having movie-like production values. Not so much lack of creativity but just that typical "videogame music" does not necessarily suit most videogames.

Zeriel

Arcane
Torment was pretty grim and dark, yet the soundtrack was memorable. Even ambient music can have melodies and interesting texture to it (see games like Hexen). It just requires some effort.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I didn't back Ultima and do not intend to. But I haven't backed Larian yet either, having never played any of the previous Divinity games, there's no nostalgia to reference on. Yes, the product as it stands is impressive, but so much so that I oughta preorder?

Try out D2 just to see if you like the lore.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I havent played any InXile game, nor any game by Expeditions Conquistador, Legends of Eisenwald or 20 other devs to whose kickstarters I pledged for.

is that supposed to convince me that you've made a good decision?

Im not sure I made good decision backing any game on kickstarter, they all sound great on paper but end product might be shit. Still I backed the idea, I supported games that most of them would not be made without kickstarter and for which majority of people said are dead genre. Now Original Sin would have been made anyway but as you said the game looks quite impressive and backing at this point will only make it better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hell, here's an example that should shame every composer working with live orchestras:

Age of Wonders soundtrack was done in .IT/MOD format, with files measured in kilobytes, but has more feeling and emotion for me than anything I've played recently.

That was surprisingly shitty average.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That was surprisingly shitty average.

Holy shit that was boring.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Age of Wonder has some of the best compositions in PC gaming.

Jashiin

Arcane
Amiga music. Those composers were heroes then, Chris Heulsbeck, Alistar Brimble. :love:

BigWeather

Augur
One of my favorite RPG tunes*, though Master of Magic (no, not THAT one) was barely a RPG...

*excepting much of the Ultima music, which was awesome.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Age of Wonder has some of the best compositions in PC gaming.
Well, evidently, the above composition is not one of them. It is rather bland.
It's not the best song from AoW. That said, the melody is great. The backing orchestra not so great. The game also uses low quality instrumentation, so if you haven't composed music yourself or listened to midi music and so on, it might not come off as brilliant to you as it does to others.
This is my personal favorite. It's very medieval. The flute wandering off shortly after 0:40 is great.

norolim

Arcane
It's not the best song from AoW. That said, the melody is great. The backing orchestra not so great. The game also uses low quality instrumentation, so if you haven't composed music yourself or listened to midi music and so on, it might not come off as brilliant to you as it does to others.
This is my personal favorite. It's very medieval. The flute wandering off shortly after 0:40 is great.
This one's better. Though, not as good as some of the great Uematsu Sama's works; like this brilliant piece:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Japanese composers are often very good. Speaks volumes when the most redeeming aspect of JRPGs is the music.

Murk

Arcane
Guys, I got the hint. I'll reinstall Age of Wonders.

Zeriel

Arcane
Age of Wonders has better RPG mechanics than modern RPGs. WHAT NOW?!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Fact is, best AoW song is Highmen theme.

Is the composer still at Triumph btw?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
They should have waited for at least a few weeks, I am totally broke after the Torment ks. >.>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom