Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The :incline: of 2013 continues.

From their Facebook.

We've been implementing the Attack of Opportunity mechanic in the gameand we'd like to give you a little sneak peek. The indicators on the ground are still in infamous 'programmer art' but with that in mind; here's what it looks like (for now):

487566_624645194228483_45603199_n.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I'll admit I goofed with my description there, but the way the game seems and plays suggests just that.

Why it went from a good-looking rpg to pay2win chess I'll never get. I hated the game, but I didn't clench my teeth and force myself to keep playing more so I am no expert on the matter.

Stabwound

Arcane
Please please please don't consolize this game. For the love of fucking god.

If I smell the taint of consolitis on the pc version, I won't come near it or buy it. But I look forward to this game a lot. Hope they won't disappoint with that consolitization shit. :(

You are aware Unity (Isn't this being made in that?) can port to Consoles (and even Browsers).

I don't know bro. The mention of game being ported to consoles makes me fearful and angry now (because that always means some "adjustments" in the game, even for PC users). :(

It would be too bad, as Larian has made some really cool and nice games, and this one looks maybe the best of them all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Porting a game to a console is NOT the problem.

Designing your entire game AROUND the limitations of a console controller is. (Though this is not a problem depending on the complexity of the game. But one example is porting Baldur's Gate to the console just proved too much of a task to figure out and was never released, even though they did try to do it).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The difficulty of doing a port, code-wise is the least of the problems of doing one. Butchered control schemes, huge fonts and comparatively less text, memory&Cpu limitations and their effect on the rest of the game is more like it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All in all, this is looking pretty nice, although i wish Larian would tone down their "particular" sense of humor somewhat for this game.

Flacracker

Educated
Porting a game to a console is NOT the problem.

Designing your entire game AROUND the limitations of a console controller is. (Though this is not a problem depending on the complexity of the game. But one example is porting Baldur's Gate to the console just proved too much of a task to figure out and was never released, even though they did try to do it).
This. A turn based game can be done on consoles just fine with a controller. The main problem with consolitis is dumbing down shit for the mass market -- the consoles.

InternalRevenue

Educated

blog_ia_3785504_6844069_sz_357_1_.jpg

Now learn the meaning of words: "makes sense" and "would consider" as opposed to "will be released"

CD Projekt pulled the same shit during witcher 2 development, gushing about how well it worked with an xbox controller. You know what became of that - a console UI and QTEs. Still, I'll give Larian the benefit of the doubt until more decline comes to light.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This. A turn based game can be done on consoles just fine with a controller. The main problem with consolitis is dumbing down shit for the mass market -- the consoles.
Objection mista, a PC port on consoles tends to replace the pointer by 'hidden pointer solutions' (since cursors are awful on the controller, so if the game primary target is the console, it almost never happens) hiding the pointer and discretivizes movement into single quantums and menus (like all SJRPs and console-blobbers i can think of).

Trying to translate a pointer directly into a controller is awful for playing on a controller, trying to go the other way around and put in a console menu-system on a complex game on the pc is a waste (often without many keyboard shortcuts since the mapping is just from the simple controller scheme to the keyboard). It is very rare indeed the game that rehauls the whole interface so that the control scheme is menu-driven pointer-hidden discrete on the console but hotspot, pointer-shown continuous on the pc. In fact the only examples i can recall ofhand are ports from classic pc games to consoles, like pirates gold, which were done much much later, and mostly where the game already used the keyboard arrow keys as main movement (discrete or continuous).

I actually see no easy way for a game to port from a 'discrete' to a 'continuous' coordinate system on any part of it's code, so porting something like Baldur's Gate or ToEE to a console is a exercise in future bankruptcy, even though it's a perfectly suited option for the pc.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I don't write or follow much, but the console-fear attracted me. (Also, a codexer visited us today and I wanted to find out his nickname.)

IF we do a console version, it will not have any impact on the PC version. (UI, controls, textures, memory, text... will not change for PC. Case in point: Dragon Knight Saga UI and control scheme was redone from scratch for X360 and had no impact on PC. PC offered a completely different UI, controls were keyb+mouse. High res textures were available on PC version. In PC version, characters used their originally chosen appearances whereas on X360 we had to reuse models. Text was never shortened. Loca companies love us.)

Also, no, this is not Unity.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Actually I've just tried to read through this thread, and maybe I should take the time tonight to reply to some questions/insinuations/ponderings. If only because someone said more gamedev ppl should look like me instead of suits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom