Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin To Be Partially Funded via Kickstarter

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I would totally support hiver going. Fuck the staff, they'd just mess it up by being too reasonable.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I would totally support hiver going. Fuck the staff, they'd just mess it up by being too reasonable.

I suggested Skyway because we need a middle ground between trying to be too 'reasonable' (read: pussy) and the blood-soaked, PTSD-fueled hostage situation that would occur when Hiver suspects Swen has said something mean about a lady and gives him some tough loving with a bar stool.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I kind of imagine Prosper as a video game analogue of Erich Zahn, and don't really wish that upon Sven, he seems like a nice guy. Calling the Codex out in an official blog post should be met with some measure of retribution, but deploying Prosper would be like bringing nukes to a bar fight.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I happened to be a Codex newsposter at that time, so it was my job to read and make fun of reviews. The #1 complaint was "guns suck because you can't hit anything wtf!!!" and that's coming from journalists who were supposed to have a clue. Of course you can't hit much with 2 points in firearms, but raise the skill to 8-9 and you'll be quite deadly.
You're wrong. The ranged feat does absolutely nothing to the base accuracy of guns, which are ridiculously and terribly wide in Santa Monica and Downtown. It only affects damage and the time it takes for the reticule to shrink after you've fired the weapon. There's no reason at all (aside from larping...) to use a gun in those two hubs when you can do better and more consistent damage with unarmed and melee even with minimal investment in those skills (particularly thanks to blood buff which gives you a temporary 4 free points).

quasimodo

Augur
I like DivDiv and I like TB combat and I was planning on buying the game anyway...So I've got not problem with Kickstarter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is it my imagination, or did he just invite me to visit Larian and see the game? I've never even played DivDiv. :oops:
Don't, it's god awful. I tried it late last year and was surprised to find out that, as bad as it was, Divinity 2 was actually a significant improvement. I'm deeply annoyed with teenage Lesi for having the endurance to finish that banal, boring shitfest while saying Arcanum and Fallout 2 were unplayable. Arcanum and Fallout 2 don't start you out in a fuck-boring flavorless town and crawl through a five-level dungeon killing literally 500 skeletons followed by 150 reskinned skeletons orcs outside the town. That hauntingly beautiful title screen music was false advertising.

Beyond Divinity is apparently even worse. I can't even imagine.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can like things enough to want to finish them and Divine Divinity didn't make the cut. It's NWN/NWN2 bad.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had no issues (none) with Arcanum and I never used anything made by fans. And I played that game a lot.
Same for Bloodlines... maybe I'm just very fortunate - or maybe the issues are pretty minor.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Both Dragon commander and original sin will bomb spectacularly... if they ever get released. Outside of certain niche, not many appreciate their particular style of rpg.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
As cynical as I am, I think the odds of them all turning out terrible are fairly low.

Oddly enough, so far I am expecting the most from Shadowrun.

Edit: I think it's because they seem... genuine. Nerdy and genuine. I dig that. And they don't promise too much, which is appreciated. I can't stand marketing speak.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
According to Tim Cain, Troika games all sold enough copies to make money. Just not enough money.

If kickstarter and digital distribution were around in 2004 how things would have been different.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:takemymoney:
I was planning to buy Original Sin anyway, so it's no biggie for me if they do it through Kickstarter.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Now, that Swen has said, that they WILL show a codex representative the game it would be criminal not to send someone in there. Also, that someone should be able to negotiate to write an official Codex preview of the game, so no Skyways or Hivers. When was the last time codex wrote a detailed preview of an upcoming RPG? Do a fundraiser if you must, i bet enough people would gladly throw a few bucks in. You absolutely mustn't waste this opportunity.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Now, that Swen has said, that they WILL show a codex representative the game it would be criminal not to send someone in there. Also, that someone should be able to negotiate to write an official Codex preview of the game, so no Skyways or Hivers. When was the last time codex wrote a detailed preview of an upcoming RPG? Do a fundraiser if you must, i bet enough people would gladly throw a few bucks in. You absolutely mustn't waste this opportunity.

Skyway could write a preview, it just wouldn't be very long. Hiver could write a preview, it just wouldn't conform to commonly accepted standards of punctuation. You're just prejudiced, bro.

It occurs to me, that this is actually how all the blatant corruption in game journalism actually begins. Niche fansite catches the eye of prominent developer, developer extends a tongue-in-cheek invitation to an exclusive preview, and five years afterwards we're all getting completely drunk at parties with PR reps, trying to drown out the overwhelming feelings of emptiness and sorrow clawing upon our wretched souls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It occurs to me, that this is actually how all the balatant corruption in game journalism actually begins. Niche fansite catches the eye of prominent developer, developer extends a tongue-in-cheek invitation to an exclusive preview, and five years afterwards we're all getting completely drunk at parties with PR reps, trying to drown out the overwhelming feelings of emptiness and sorrow clawing upon our wretched souls.

:lol: That's probably part of it, but do remember that this site is a volunteer operation. We don't actually need the favors of PR reps to make a living. (That doesn't mean we can't be biased, of course. The Codex definitely has its biases.)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You say that now Infinitron, but I'd like to see you resist the call of your Jew blood when bathtubs of money roll in, and Sven smiles at you invitingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom