Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

DivOS2 Best Companion Poll

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by SausageInYourFace, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Who are the best companions?

1. Lohse

41.3%
  2. Beast

9.3%
  3. Red Prince

37.3%
  4. Ifan

17.3%
  5. Sebille

16.0%
  6. Fane

29.3%
  7. Comrade Henchman

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Already there was some discussion in the release thread who the best companions are and what the best party composition is.

Lets try to quantify it!

^ Top  
  2. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    A rebel pirate dwarf with a battle-axe is a no-brainer for me
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Comrade Henchmen the best.
    No Edgyness.
    Follows Orders.
    Doesn't Kill Vendors.

And Most Importantly, doesn't ask to plumb the PC's butthole and make the PC a sissy fag.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    I would've said Ifan and Lohse, until Ifan out of the blue turns out to be an asspirate. The rest are pretty fucking cringy.

Lohse is probably the best-written and least cringy so far.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    Red Prince. For a two-and-a-half dimensional cartoon character he's rather enjoyable. He's a snob refined gentleman, but in a way that doesn't get annoying or over the top.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Im actually playing as the Beast and most dwarves I speak to , have references to my pirate past and rebellious nature and so on.

^ Top  
  8. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Sebille is crap, rest are fine.

I often play _as_ Fane so I guess red prince would be the one I take along with me. Ifan and Beast are boring, Sebille is cringe, and I don't trust bard characters after the gnome fuck in NWN2.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    If Sebille doesn't set off your retard-radar from the very first sentence something is wrong with your radar

I went for Beast PC and Red Prince companion and that's worked out pretty well, though RP is lacking personality now after the initial haughtiness. Fane has a good concept but talks annoyingly, so I guess a good PC candidate.

^ Top  
  10. Malpercio Arcane

Malpercio
    Red Prince is pretty good, I like how self-adsorbed and purpose-oriented he is. I'm surprise if I don't end up killing him in the end given his objective. Ifan is fine, good reactivity.

Fane is probably the most interesting lore-wise, but it feels like he's lacking in content?

Lohse seem interesting once you get to know her in Fort Joy and realize her situation. Sebille's intro was cringey as fuck on other hand. The dwarf is whatever.

Overall I'm pleasantry surprised by the cast. It's a shame they don't interact with each other more. I guess they could react more to the events, but Divinity 2 is so gameplay-focused that I don't think BG2-like situations (In which it was easy to piss people off and have them leave) would have worked.

Just ask them to bottom.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    Ifan is supposed to be this bad ass lone wolf mofo feared by everyone etc and tries to fill the bro role at the same time, meh.

Aside from her character problem with Sebille's content is that narrative dictates how player feels most of the time; starts with "you'll never sleep easy" and continues on that note.

Beast is...eh, bro and a bit self-centered.

Lohse's shit, there is only her situation for her. Fane's also eh, again his situation...

I like Red Prince.

^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I liked Red Prince, but wait till he turns into a love puppy who constantly says love is more important than godhood etc etc and right as you're helping him fuck the lady lizard then chase the lazy lizard to fuck her some more and you've never ever been anything but cordial with the man suddenly it's oh shall we sex together my bosom buddy

The companions in this game are what they are - nice schtick, not much else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Sebille improves a lot after the joy and her questline has a nice twist later on. Lohse is still the least annoying and beast is full derp. When i finally replaced him with a henchman I felt like that's what I should've done from the start.

Anyway, companions are mostly garbage.

^ Top  
  15. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Yeah, the tags are yet another incredibly idiotic thing about this game. While some of them are ok (Scholar and Soldier have some nice applications here and there) Barbarian and Noble should be simply renamed to "Retard" and "Cunt" respectively. Because it's all there is to it.

NPC - Hey Godwoken, could you please do my generic and boring quest?

1 - Why yes, I would love to do your generic and boring quest. How can I help?
    2 - [Barbarian] * FARTS *
    3 - [Noble] HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO [INSERT BORING CHORE HERE]!?!? I'm Lord Cuntiluss and helping plebs like you is beneath me, so I'll just face the next level scaled encounter without the XP you're offering. Have a good day, sir/madam/tranny!!!"
    4 - Take your leave.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek

• incline incline x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. VioletShadow Sensate Patron

VioletShadow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I like Lohse, Ifan and Fane; rest are meh; can't stand the elf and killed her.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    I was started play as Beast, with wayfarer class and ability to talk with animals (comes handy in deep seas, when you struggle with navigation and your only salvation is birds and dolphins), I am thought it will be just funny to play as dwarven pirate with crossbow, while stereotypical dwarfs in fantasy afraid of being sailors and don't love oceans or seas (and they don't talk with animals).
    I was surprised when realized that Beast (in my opinion ofc) most “colorful” character among others companions with background. I mean, he recognizable by dwarfs in all cities during travel, he has more interesting background than others and he left his path in history before game even started. When I talked with npc I felt that Beast actually connected with world more than others. He seen many wonders of sea and traveled world, not just was caged somewhere or suffered from mental illness. And of course good old stereotype about pirate as men of adventure and romance with sea.

People seems really not like Beast because [Noble] and [Barbarian] tags, while I don't care about tags. I just choose dialogs based on my opinion how should act educated person with charisma, but hardened after years wandering and still can sense a joy of adventure and freedom. I think he have [Noble] and [Barbarian] only because those tags just reflect phases of his life when he was a young noble and then faced wraith of high seas. But it doesn't mean that he should loudly fart or act like selfish pig.

Other companions.... Well I left Ifan and Red Prince suffer in Fort Joy. Because I tend not to trust lizards because they rule ours Earth to arrogant morons like Red Prince (now THAT character really perfect candidate to [Noble] tag) and Ifan...Let's say I would trust more to demons in my party than member of Lone Wolfs.

I picked Sebilla in my party because my character need sex after lonely days in sea and this would be cheaper variant than prostitute from nearest tavern, yarrr well maybe not so cheaper, but at east better than Eldar's prostitutes from nearest Webway gate her cannibal abilities. Lohse was chosen by me, because what kind of adventure goes without bard? I guess somebody should sing ballads about my adventure after all (even though I used her as enchanter in party). Fane was chosen by me because he is spooky skeleton any party in any game need nerd who would doing intellectual work and troll others for their low intelligence (sadly interaction between party members not very rich and Fane a bit edgy, but still can be normal addition to party).

I don't hire henchmen, because they boring in many games.

Overall all companions is decent, except Sebilla. But for sex slave is ok Even those which I not hired, they still can fit to other people, they just not my type.

My vote for Beast, though. Just my opinion.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    My party composition was Beast on tanking duty, Red Prince as a huntsman, Sebille doing the sneakin' an' stabbin', and Lohse on enchants. Aside from Sebille the companions bring plenty of levity without descending into insufferable levels of silliness.

Beast has also led a rebellion and was the captain of a ship, so he seems like he'd have the experience and personal magnetism to command a mismatched group of adventurers. Others like Sebilla and The Red Prince have led such solitary lives that they couldn't lead a bowling team. Then again that just makes Beast the best protagonist, not necessarily the best companion.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    ^ Top  
  22. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    Absolutely agreed, I just forgot to mention it. Beast really better fit in role of leader party, than others. And not only Sebilla and The Red Prince would be bad at leadership, Ifan is "I am working alone guy" - he more likely abandon his own crew in middle of the storm or will kill them, Fane have problems with integration in society and personal trauma (being undead and almost last of his kind is heavy burden even for brightest mind). Lohse have problems with demon in head, Sebilla is ex-slave and fucked in head even more than Lohse. So yeah, I think only Beast fit on role of only mental healthy person leader of party.

^ Top  
  23. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    I really like the VAs for Beast and Ifan. Took Sebille for elfin romance :obviously:, she respecs well as ranged DPS.

^ Top  
  24. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    So, Beast VS Ifan (as followers) - which is better and why?

Discuss!!

(I am getting back into this game and have a bit of a dilemma in regards to building my party).

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. taviow Magister

taviow
    I liked Beast more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)