Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Do RPGs have value outside of fun?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by howlingFantods, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Yes, they do. One of the primary rewards of having a satisfying RPG waiting for you at the end of the day (for those of you who actually still know what "working for a living" is) is knowing that you can escape your everyday, mundane life's troubles for some time and de-stress. Some may equate this to having fun, but I think the psychological benefits of having an RPG that you like ready to boot up once you get home far outweigh the simple definition of fun.

Don't forget also that the roleplaying games industry provides income for millions of people and contributes to the stimulation of many countries' economies. That means if you pirate RPGs you're a fucking monster and probably deserve to be unhappy.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Yeah, the Codex is really a place bursting with empathy and acceptance.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    have you considered doing methamphetamine?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Drugs last only so long, unfortunately. I say both are worth a shot.

^ Top  
  5. Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez Arcane

Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    RPGs teach you how to build character.

• Funny x 13
    • nice x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. apostrophe Literate

apostrophe
    Does anything have a value outside of fun?

• Yes x 4
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ysaye Learned

Ysaye
    Stopping the spread of COVID-19 to nerds by keeping them quarantined in their rooms?...oh sorry they were inside their rooms to begin with!

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cretin Learned

cretin
    Games are entertainment, nothing more and nothing less. They are exactly as valuable as film and pulp literature. Pretending they have use outside of this usually involves all sorts of sophistry that even the person spouting it doesnt really believe. For example, one of the frequent retard offerings you will get is that video games improve hand eye coordination..... and they do, in tests where the gamers are tested using a program where they line up one kind of pixel with another kind of pixel using a mouse as an index, iow: the same thing theyve already spent thousands of hours practicing, and as such if you take the conclusion to be: gamers have good hand eye coordination (general) you're a fucking moron and should probably work in a field full of other morons who produce shit pop-sci research like that for the birds. No one seriously entertains the notion that a competitive gamer could laterally move into say, volleyball, with a high level of success because skills are highly specific and the hand eye coordination you develop playing volleyball is different to the hand eye coordination you develop playing fucking counter strike.

Other arguments revolving around "intrinsic use value" (e.g games contain reading and therefore playing games is valuable for improving reading) are absolutely moron level sophistry because the only way that is valuable rests on the presumption that your level of sophistication/ability is so poorly developed that the grade school level reading you do in videogames would produce some kind of progressive challenge and adaptation. But since you're already (presumably) an english speaking nigger who reads at at least a 9th grade level, eehhhhhhhh unlikely. If you read harry potter easily at age 10, there is nothing in videogames that would provide a challenge for you and thus no actual learning going on, just stop.

• retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    ...and the nerd shall inherit the Earth.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    RPGs have dramatically improved my ability to perform statistics, probability, algebra, and understand fractions. As a child, many of the morally nuanced games of the late 1990s and early 2000s presented me with an early layman's philosophy.

• Brofist x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cretin Learned

cretin
    Lets be honest: they did none of this. You'd like to think so, but they didn't, because they didn't for anyone else either, and everyone knows it.

• retadred x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Glop_dweller Augur

Glop_dweller
    The original Fallout had players replaying it to clear their own conscience, after they realized the consequences of their in-game actions.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You old fucks keep realizing you've got more time behind you than in front and now we get all these "man, maybe I've wasted my life playing video games" threads. 80% of your life would have been wasted either way, you just chose video games over other pointless shit.

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jesus The King of Poland Patron

Jesus
    That's the goddam truth.:lol::lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    if a book contains value outside of entertainment then an RPG obviously does, since most of the RPGs that codex loves are just bad books.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Yeah, I could have been sitting in front of the TV watching while "we" play against the other foreign football team.

• Brofist x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Yes, containment of crazy people from the rest of the world

• :M :M x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Modern RPGs don't even have fun.

• Despair x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    This is actually totally true. Vidya games basically teach my kids everything from reading, to math, to economics, to physics, to history. I have never sent my kids to school, entirely replacing their education with vidya games and murdering things in the woods. The difference when compared to other peoples' kids, or hell, even other people, is absolutely striking. In this one game, for instance, there is this mini-puzzle that other people seem to really struggle with, whereas my kids seem to consider it a non-issue and when assigned to go grind that mission, never even brought it to my attention as something that was worth mentioning. From this and numerous other examples, I conclude that most people are dumber than a 6 year old.

Of course, as a result, they also have no friends, being unable to relate to other kids, who play games like filthy casuals instead of understanding the principles of min-maxing and DPSes, reasoning silly things like "I'm going to equip this weapon because it looks cool and is new and has a big number for its damage" rather than the way my kids see it, which is "I'm going to keep this one because it has higher DPS".

Also, games aren't supposed to be fun. If you're still having fun, you're playing it wrong: The purpose of a game is to optimize the fun out of it. Remember, Dwarf Fortress teaches us: "Losing is fun". The corollary to this is that FUN IS FOR LOSERS, so STOP HAVING FUN.

• Funny x 4
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :littlemissfun:

• decline decline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. aeroaeko Learned

aeroaeko
    "Fun" is a social construct.

• No x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. bloodlover Arcane

bloodlover
    I think that, similar to books, this genre has a lot of value outside fun. Maybe it's not as evident but it I'd say that a good RPG can at least improve reading skills and comprehension. More often than not we think about value as something that you can directly quantify so it's rather strange to associate an RPG with value but to be honest, it's not like reading Dickens lands you a job in IT or makes you a better parent.

Related to the topic: In my country an entire generation grew up with morning cartoons in English. Wacky Races, Space Ghost, The Jetstons, Scooby Doo, stuff like that and many many kids learned English from those cartoons. And I mean actual English and not I can haz chessburgers English. Nobody assumed that Space Ghost would be anything more than fun but over the years, those cartoons were a foundation for something good. Of course you don't go from Scooby Doo to Canterbury Tales over night but those childish cartoons were the first steps in many people's English language.

At the end of the day, I think that RPGs have value outside of fun, even if it does not show immediately and if assuming you don't go full Madame Bouvary or Don Quixote on the world.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    This post is a lie, I don't plan on dying.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Some of us have other plans (for you)

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top