Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you feel a compulsion to constant hardware upgrade?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've never once seen pre-applied thermal paste. I mean, sometimes it comes with some paste in a tube, or some kind of pad, but even then I want to use my Arctic Silver crap so I'd use that. But pre-applied? Never seen that before.

Maybe he is one of those people who want to download half the internet to their HDDs because someone might turn it off one day :M

Wait, people DON'T save all the sites they can in fear of being internet-less and deprived of reads, movies, books and games one day?

And by "someone", I mean the company because the internet can't be paid anymore.

baturinsky

Arcane
I heard if you just take meaningful text (i.e. not video and such), then whole internet is only several terabytes.

Melcar

Arcane
I've never once seen pre-applied thermal paste. I mean, sometimes it comes with some paste in a tube, or some kind of pad, but even then I want to use my Arctic Silver crap so I'd use that. But pre-applied? Never seen that before.

Usually the stock heatsink comes with some pre-applied paste. Some after-market coolers also come like that (Arctic Cooling for example).

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had a PIII in 2000-and-something that was card-based and that was a bullshit idea, so thermal paste and ZIF-sockets are fine by me!

Part of the experience of building a PC is the ritual sacrifice of a credit card, anyway.

A user named cat

Does anyone else always end up bleeding after building a new PC? My fingers always seem to find some sharp edge in the case.

As for thermal paste; it's incredibly easy to do, so I don't know why anyone would be hesitant about applying their own. A small drop of Arctic Silver 5 in the middle, spread thin and evenly like butter with a card, then you're done. If you mess up or use too much, clean the excess with isopropyl alcohol which you should always keep handy. Usually the hardest part of all is securely clamping the heatsink to the mobo, some of them are designed horribly and almost have to be forced.

Codexlurker

Savant
Does anyone else always end up bleeding after building a new PC? My fingers always seem to find some sharp edge in the case.

As for thermal paste; it's incredibly easy to do, so I don't know why anyone would be hesitant about applying their own. A small drop of Arctic Silver 5 in the middle, spread thin and evenly like butter with a card, then you're done. If you mess up or use too much, clean the excess with isopropyl alcohol which you should always keep handy. Usually the hardest part of all is securely clamping the heatsink to the mobo, some of them are designed horribly and almost have to be forced.

Yep. I've had several cuts before that I didn't notice until after I finished putting everything together:D.

baturinsky

Arcane
I need something at ~$1k price (system block only) that can run FTB Ultimate and GTA 5 on 1920x1080 at decent FPS.

Cassidy

Arcane
Haven't upgraded my PC since 2009, and that was only for the sake of having a PC good enough to run a handful of CRPGs, including Mask of the Betrayer and one good action RPG(Risen), because I had a very old PC before that to be able to run any of those. I hate

:popamole:

And the few good games still being released aren't too hardware-intensive to not run in my 2009 PC, thus I have little reason to do another upgrade until Star Citizen is proven to not be vaporware and to be good.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
People who don't enjoy upgrading their consumerproducts are filthy commie-hippies.

baturinsky

Arcane
Hmm...

Tower: Miditower ATX DNS/AirTone K5-9388
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1155
CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz
Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300
Video: PCI-E Palit GeForce GTX 660 2048MB 192bit GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort
Memory: DIMM DDR3 4096MBx2 PC12800 1600MHz Kingston HyperX CL9-9-9-27 [KHX1600C9D3K2/8G(X)]
HDD: SATA-3 1Tb Western Digital Caviar Blue (no Red in shops here and Black is said to be noisy)
SSD: SSD 2.5" SATA-3 120Gb Kingmax

Does this make sense? I want something that will cause least problems: not likely to break soon, does not make a lot of noise, will not make me upgrade in near future, etc.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
It's an alright budget PC I guess, the CPU seems to have about the same performance rate that my i7-950 that I bought in ~2009 had: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Personally I also recently upgraded to a 770GTX

I've also never heard of "Kingmax" before, seems to be some Chinese company I personally wouldn't trust, if you want a proper SSD the Samsung Pro are momentarily the best.
The Samsung Evos are alright too, but they use cheaper TLC NAND memory instead of MLC: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

Always depends on what you want to do with it, really, it would likely suffice for any "RPG" released so far but might struggle with "Next Gen" games soon enough.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey @baturinsky, might I suggest getting the 770GTX instead? I will because last time I built a new PC, getting a more expensive, more high-end graphics card really worked out in my favor- it still runs everything flawlessly and I really thought it was worth the extra money in the long run, especially with how few issues I had.

baturinsky

Arcane
I can't find 770GTX in shops around here, but I was recommended to get Radeon HD7870
And Plextor SSD.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you can't get the 770GTX but are looking for similar value I would suggest the HD 7970.

Sodafish

Arcane
I would say an SSD for your system drive is a huge bonus to performance. I wouldn't skimp in that area.

xcode

Literate
yes... actually i do... somehow i think its better to keep everything up to date. I just wish they wouldnt have so many all the time - very annoying.

DefJam101

Arcane
I can't find 770GTX in shops around here, but I was recommended to get Radeon HD7870
And Plextor SSD.
I have the 7870 and it's an excellent card.

Do you play a lot of action/FPS games? If so, I'd recommend holding off on the SSD and using the extra money to buy a 120hz monitor. Quite frankly I don't think the extra system performance an SSD nets you is worth the (current market) price for a gaming rig on anything resembling a budget.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, I feel the compulsion. My computer runs fine, but it could be better. I have a first-gen i7 and my motherboard is some shitty Intel one, so there's two things I'd want to replace. The problem is, although I have money I'm saving up for a trip to Europe, which is more important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom