Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you have a supreme game that almost everything you play you compare it to?

Curratum

Doom, Thief, Baldur 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
ADOM for controls, reminds me of vim.
What do I press to activate a skill? a
What do I press to chat with an npc? c
Eat? e
Drink? d
Help? ?
Throw? t
etc., etc.,

Games that play with keyboard only are my favorite.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
SMAC's p. good. Hard to top in terms of 4X and sci-fi setting.
HOMM3 is also a league of its own with latest mods installed. I struggle to come up with a better hotseat game.
Is it better than Age of Wonders series? I have a copy of HOMM3 but never got around to playing it or looking up mods.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Something you have loved for years and you keep returning to, and most games you play you think, "The exploration was better in x". Or, "Why am I playing this shitty combat when I could be playing x?" Etc.

Can't say I do, but I know EQ is yours~
It was for 20 years but I am finally losing my interest. There are only so many times you can start over. But if I play something which isn't that good and has a lot of grind, I still find myself thinking... If I am gonna grind I could do it in a much better game.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of what I would have mentioned has been said already at least once, but I've never played anything that could match Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga for sheer charm. People call it funny sometimes, but it has never made me laugh really, it's more like a nice charming, goofy kind of feel to a lot of situations in the game that I find very endearing, plus that fact that I just love the game aside from that element too.

As much as I love turn based systems, Divinity 2 makes me hope and pray that Larian does another game like it at some point.

Anytime some reviewer or whatever calls Borderlands games "quirky" or "funny" or whatever, it just reminds of of how wrong they are, and of how right Larian got it with their game.

I compare RTS games to Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. And, sad to say, they never hold up against it, and I have trouble enjoying other RTS. SCFA spoiled me. Stuff like the flux economy, more in-depth build force, strategic zoom, artillery that's actual artillery, air forces that are actual air forces, radar/sonar, etc. Many RTS can do one or two of the same things as SCFA but none of them can do it all, and I always find the absence of these features to be jarring and inconvenient enough to ruin my experience. The lack of a strategic camera is usually the biggest problem, especially on older games. I reinstalled Warlords Battlecry 2 once (loved it when I played it the first time) and the camera alone was so bad compared to SCFA that I ended up quitting. I don't hold that against older games, but for RTS that came out after SCFA there's really no excuse for missing so many of these features, they are purely an improvement to gameplay (substitute things like "artillery" with "mages" for a fantasy game, but you get the idea).

I also compare most RPG gameplay to the original Guild Wars, since it had a really good system of spell/ability interaction. Although it was originally designed more as a PC adaptation of CCGs like Magic: the Gathering, it ended up offering gameplay that I wish had caught on for party-based RPGs instead of the continued godawful RTWP D20 adaptations.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't know if it's a good idea to compare all games in a genre against one great example since videogames, perhaps more than any other media, try to do vastly different things within a genre. I wouldn't want all RPGs to try to imitate Fallout or all grand strategy to imitate Crusader Kings, or all RTS to imitate Warcraft 2 or Command & Conquer (which is sadly exactly what the genre ended up doing).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
ARPG's - Deus Ex
CRPG's - Startrail
Stealth - Thief 2
2D Platformer - Super Mario World
3D Platformer - Super Mario 64 / Mirror's Edge
Racing games - F-Zero GX
Figthing games - Super Smash Bros. Melee / Soul Calibur 2
Survival Horror - Resident Evil Remake
FPS - DOOM 2
TPS - Resident Evil 4 / Max Payne
SHMUP - Enter the Gungeon
Beat 'em Up - God Hand

Next one is a though one, Hack 'n' Slash games. Because there's 2 different types of hack 'n' slash combat: it can either be slow paced with high commitment or fast paced and low commitment.
For the slow type I would say Severance and NIOH, and for fast pace it's DMC5 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

I want to be superficially entertained and couldn't care less about "good" gameplay.

What a faggot.

... Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ... when it comes to AI which is so ahead of everything else it's not even funny

MGS5 is the new king of AI in action games. Also MGS3 had some great AI as well.

Shinji

Savant
Realms of Arkania 2 for WRPGs
Final Fantasy IX for JRPGs
Sierra games for adventures

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - e.g. tried playing Crysis and though "why am i not playing stalker, this sucks predator donkey balls"
Fallout - e.g. tried playing Wasteland 2 and thought "why am i not playing fallout, this sucks fargo donkey balls"
IWD - e.g. tried playing POE and thought "why am i not playing iwd, this sucks fampyr donkey balls"

i could think of more, but the above have happened in front of witnesses and i have signed court-certified statements ready to smack you with

yes i can end my sentences in prepositions if i want to, fuck you

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - e.g. tried playing Crysis and though "why am i not playing stalker, this sucks predator donkey balls"
Fallout - e.g. tried playing Wasteland 2 and thought "why am i not playing fallout, this sucks fargo donkey balls"
IWD - e.g. tried playing POE and thought "why am i not playing iwd, this sucks fampyr donkey balls"

i could think of more, but the above have happened in front of witnesses and i have signed court-certified statements ready to smack you with

yes i can end my sentences in prepositions if i want to, fuck you
That's exactly what I had in mind with this thread. It is how I think too. The problem is when you have played the old games 10000 times.

- deus ex/system shock 2
- x-com
- elite 2: frontier
- freespace 2
- simearth/life
- dawn of war 0.9 circa
- fallout 2

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Every RTS that comes out for the rest of human future will be in one category as a result of being compared to Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and inevitably reaching the conclusion that nothing can ever come close to the genius and perfection of the formula that Forged Alliance achieved.

The same issue is presented for stealth games, because there will never be one made that manages to surpass or equal what Thief achieved.

Every crpg that isn't a blobber is either turn based or shit, and of the turn based ones, they all have to compare to ToEE in how well they implement their combat.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
WoW classic for sheer size of the world and system design.
For console? Bloodborne. Nothing compares.
For Action RPGS in general, I'd say Dark Souls 3.
For RPGs I always go back to BGII, Morrowind, and the original Bard's Tale.
Also, Deus Ex. Such an insanely great game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
MGS5 is the new king of AI in action games. Also MGS3 had some great AI as well.
MGS V's AI isn't granular and doesn't pay attention to small details because MGS V is a open world game that doesn't have small details. I think the AI is pretty basic and easy to play around, and their extremely limited sight and hearing also makes it boring.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The dark engine games ( Thief, Thief 2, System Shock 2 ), because of the concision of gameplay mechanics, unobstructive narrative and immersion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom