Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you play more female characters or male ones, and why?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guilty Gear: Kliff because I'm casual-tier terrible with anyone else don't judge me Vaarna
All the cool codexers play as Bridget. :obviously:

I always play female if given the choice, I just seem to enjoy the game more as a whole when I do.
In spite of my gender, I find it somewhat difficult to project myself onto, or relate to male characters.

Captain Shrek

I typically play a male wizard or a thief. The male part is trivial. I can't identify with a woman. The Thief and mage part is less so. Most RPGs make physical combat boring. THiefs and Mages can at least do cool stuff like spells and skill based multitasking.

Multi-headed Cow

I always play men if given the choice. Dunno why. Even sitting here thinking about it no reason comes to mind. Usually will play a fighter type character too, so I'm the opposite of Bratislav.

Nothing but rough, burly, bearded but bald fighters for me. Also usually human. Unless it's a Fallout game, then it's small guns, sneak, speech. :codexisfor:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DiploSniper? I love this class since my solo Silent Storm run, but most manly men are :obviously: Dwarfs:
DwarfNoble.jpg

Only part of DAO worth playing. When (rarely) playing Elfs I go for chicks, actualy they have more backbone and guts than their ''male'' counterpart.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Always male. It would break my immersion to play as a female because we all know women can't realistically be strong and beating up on men all the time or be heroes.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Always male. It would break my immersion to play as a female because we all know women can't realistically be strong and beating up on men all the time or be heroes.

ya this is why i play too. if you have any experience with real life females (i know a lot of u dont) seeing them in roles where theyre kicking everyones ass and saving the world is laughable

Twinkle

Liturgist
Third person: depends on whether jiggle physics are implemented for main character or not.

First person: male 99% of the time, but I don't really care either way, unless you can look down and see your tits (<3 Trespasser).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Usually I tend to choose white human male mage/rogue.
I can play any character though, sometimes I play a woman, sometimes Asian, sometimes black... it doesn't matter to me. The class does matter, I prefer to play non-combat characters if possible, or at least not be a warrior, so I usually choose mage/rogue, though I love dwarfs, they usually are made to be fighters so I more often play as a human. Albeit I really play variously. In games with firearms I always use firearms. Arcanum, Fallout... melee combat just feels wrong in these settings for me.

But...
If I can make my whole party, then it will definitely be a party of evil male dwarven warriors and their cleric as a leader. No pussy rogues or mages, no weak women, no dumb good guys... just violence, gore and gold :salute:

There are exceptions due to a game, like if I can play only a male, then i will obviously play a male. In DA2 I played as a woman due to amazing voice actress (while male voice was terrible). I felt just as emotionally engaged, as when I played Gothic, as a male. My tendency to choose white males is just a habit I sometimes follow, sometimes not. The class choice is practical, obviously. A group of evil dwarves is the best thing ever, though.

Oh, and I never play inferior elves :rpgcodex:

CorpseZeb

Learned
If you play a man, you like looking at men and are therefore homosexual
If you play a woman, you want men to like you and therefore you're a homosexual
if you have play a genderless robot/monster, it means you're uncomfortable with your natural species image and therefore a homosexual
if you play a scary monster/robot, it means you're overcompensating and therefore a homosexual
if you play a cute monster/robot, it means you have an overactive maternal complex and are therefore homosexual

this whole 'why don't you play your actual gender/why would you play a different gender' faux-debate is prime example of 'your tribe or my tribe' mentality and seeing what you want to see in others

Looks like a modern version of liar paradox - what if you are gay "already"...? We have deep, pardon my french, consequences here.

But seriously, I'm looking for a.) ascetic side of life, if stats aren't matter, thus female on the screen b.) stats uber alles - if stats matters - thus I build character around them, regardless of gender/latex/boobs/penises everywhere. Role playing a gender in the role paying game looks like a weird idea, RPG aren't MMO's after all.

For example:

Mass Effect :Femshep, mark meer's voice annoys me, plus space bodysuits are AWEESSSOOME why am I not in the true future

ME stats are irrelevant to the gander, so... female on the screen, right. (Well, sort of, because, if you want to "romance" with... em... Nali... you must be male. That's a serious bug in the game, by the way.).

BG1+2: Male, also because anomen

Stats are relevant to the gender, well, to the class of character to be precise (thief, warrior), so it depends what is your taste of challenge to come, not to the ascetic taste to look at.

But, if I may ask, sir, what if we add a "helmet factor"? Between a helmeted male and non-helmeted male there's no difference, I suppose, but what about a helmeted female and non-helmeted one...?

Emily

Arcane
I never wear helmet, dont care if it has any bonuses, just hate helmet on my char.
and lowish ( difference if any betwen male and female) stats dont matter in any game i played in decade, you can finish it either way. Games are soo easy anyways so you usualy could do them even with half of the max lv : )

CorpseZeb

Learned
My god... wearing a helmet always gives you wonderful sets of bonuses! It's like a towel. Carry your towel the whole day with you, wherever you go. Take them everywhere with you. They are essential things for survival... in the galaxy ;)

Emily

Arcane
My god... wearing a helmet always bring a bonuses! It's like a towel. Carry your towel the whole day with you, wherever you go. Take them everywhere with you. They are essential things for survival... in the galaxy ;)
but they look so bad xDD
I dont know if any game had decent looking helmets, for male or female

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
what if you are gay "already"...? We have deep, pardon my french, consequences here.
If you're gay then your choices shall be used to further bolster the proof of 'obvious' closet cases with similar habits. Efficiency!

Role playing a gender in the role paying game looks like a weird idea, RPG aren't MMO's after all.
Yeah, I don't believe I'm being myself in the game, more like being the person that's there. There is success-failure investment with direct control but it's the same as rooting for any protagonist in any other medium.

ME stats are irrelevant to the gander, so... female on the screen, right. (Well, sort of, because, if you want to "romance" with... em... Nali... you must be male. That's a serious bug in the game, by the way.).
I did say bodysuit, didn't I? Of all people, I thought my brother CorpseZeb would understand.
Yes. The inability to have an all-female love hexagon is terribly restrictive and a further reason why full voice acting and in-engine cutscenes for everything kills roleplaying.

But, if I may ask, sir, what if we add a "helmet factor"? Between a helmeted male and non-helmeted male there's no difference, I suppose, but what about a helmeted female and non-helmeted one...?

Helmets are part of the protective clothing function and therefore have no positive masculine impact on sexuality, which means you're still gay. With choice of gender alone the judgment is sufficiently robust.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never wear helmet, dont care if it has any bonuses, just hate helmet on my char.
and lowish ( difference if any betwen male and female) stats dont matter in any game i played in decade, you can finish it either way. Games are soo easy anyways so you usualy could do them even with half of the max lv : )

I'm in the same club. I prefer not wearing helmets because they look silly most of the time (yeah I'm also one of those fags who sometimes wears the armor that looks better but has lower stats than the better one which looks worse) and I prefer seeing my female character's sexy mane instead, and most helmets hide the hair anyway.

And yeah, in most modern games it doesn't make much of a difference. In some older ones it's also neglectible if you play well and give your char the right skills.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Iprefer not wearing helmets because they look silly most of the time

this is all about mass effect isn't it

the armor + unremovable helmet dlc, what a waste of space. Sure, don't take the game seriously, but I cannot dignify wearing that volcano armor thing or the blood dragon armor. The most I go in ME2 is that tactical visor looking thing.

Melcar

Arcane
Mostly play as a male character. If I do ever play as a female, I roleplay a sexy aggressive lesbo.

Regdar

Arcane
Women without severe strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence and wisdom penalties = immersion breaking.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, about The Ass Matter, how about, let' say, the first BloodRayne... or... FAKK: Heavy Metal? Stare at your surroundings, eh?

i dont play much of those titties & ass & guns adventure games, the first Lara game put an end to that path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom