Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you play more female characters or male ones, and why?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Bratislav, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Let me guess - you always play games as fat basement dweller, die in first encounter and uninstall the game?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cretin Learned

cretin
    I'm a married man and soon to be father. On the other hand, you, anime girl avatar, personally sensitive to the suggestion that men who spend large amounts of time fantasizing about themselves as women are secretly wishing to be women IRL.... Just how far into the process are you pal, wigs and stealing your sister's makeup, or full blown e-begging for cock mutilation money?

• butthurt butthurt x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    So you always play as married man, die in first encounter and uninstall the game?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. alighieri Literate

alighieri
    In RPGs I play mostly male characters primarily for the reason that I don't want to have the urge to masturbate everytime I play the game.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Exclusively male (given the option). Playing a female character breaks my sense of immersion.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Do codex lp of Dance with Rogues.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    I have some faint ideas about the degeneracy that entails, so no thanks. And that's without saying that, besides MotB, the NWN series holds zero interest for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Corvinus Cipher Patron

Corvinus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Our very own RK47 did a [​IMG] LP of that one back in the day. Too bad the pictures are gone. How fast the time flies. Not saying Dances with Rogues isn't sick shit - it totally is, but when compared with the unoriginal, propaganda-filled trash that is produced today I'd say that it is apparent that the author put her heart and soul into the campaign.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Womyn, not even once.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Corvinus Cipher Patron

Corvinus
    Heh. It would be interesting to see how that module would have been received today. Tasteful Rape, the Campaign. Written by a woman.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Well, given the love of womyn for 50SoG, I'd wager that quite well.

^ Top  
  12. Corvinus Cipher Patron

Corvinus
    Indeed, of course it will. But the misogyny! The propaganda outlets wouldn't shut up about it.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    When a game gave me the choice between male and female characters, I haven't picked male for at least 10 years now. I think the last time I created a male character in a single-char RPG was on my first Morrowind playthrough. I used to make mixed sex parties in games where you create a full party, but nowadays I go for women-only parties :M

• Prestigious x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. jackofshadows Learned

jackofshadows
    I got no particular preference. It depends (theme wise/aestethic wise). Although in games with party-creation I rarely goin' for the same sex scenario and do some mixing. If the game worth a replay I usually picking the other option to see more difference the game has to offer.

^ Top  
  15. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Depends. If it doesn't have character editor I just go with whatever floats my boat at the moment, which would also depends on what kind of game/RPG I'm playing.

If it does have a character editor, with the exception of Mount&Blade I tend to try recreating American McGee's Alice Liddel, my all-time favorite video game crush :oops:

^ Top  
  16. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    No surprise there given your former (?) thoughts of becoming your own qt. :^)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Empary Educated

Empary
    Male - first playthrough, Female - second. It also depends on the voice

^ Top  
  18. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Never roll females if it's a single-char game, always males. Feels weird to play females. If it's party based, it's one male, one female, until the roster is full.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    I always call female main character Roguey.

• Funny x 4
    • Prestigious x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. BrotherFrank Nouveau Riche Patron

BrotherFrank
    Used to always play males, but 2 titles changed my mind: dragon age and...a dance with rogues, the nwn mod.

Being quite fond of dragon age, naturally replayed it with all the origins, and when doing the city elf start, having a female character just seemed to fit the origin better.

For a dance with rogues, which despite mentioning it second was my first experience with playing female characters...Oh boy. Well, as much as most here will laugh at it, imo it did succeed in making me feel like I was actually playing a female with distinctively female problems and situations. The first time I wandered into a dark alley to get jumped by brigands who then raped my pc was an eye opener. It shocked me as a kid (as did getting raped by my "rescuer" in the friggin intro) but it made sense, I was a 18+charisma princess type going to the poorest and roughest area of town happily darting into secluded dark alleys, wtf did I think was going to happen? Choices and consequences.

Didn't even mind how often my pc got hit on by all sorts of men, as I felt more like a surrogate father trying to get the best outcome for his daughter then it being a type of self insert. A distinction I emphasize because when playing a female character there will always be a disconnect since well I'm not a woman irl, so I always feel a degree of separation, thus making it 100% not gay when considering which man my princess pc should end up with.

These 2 examples opened my mind to the possibility of playing a female in games, but only when the game actually treats gender as something that matters instead of them being gelatinous blobs who are completely interchangeable and treated the same by everyone else. It's rare in most games unfortunately, but for titles like fallout 1-2 or arcanum, playing a female is actually worth it imo (attractive dumb bimbo run ftw, just watch out for myron!). Actually now I think about it, will have to check if Age of Decadence treats genders differently aswell.

TLDR: Mostly play males but am down to play females when the game treats gender as important. Sexism in rpgs is great!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jesus The King of Poland Patron

Jesus
    Women are dumb and crafty, so I make them my rogues.

• Funny x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Unfortunately, no difference whatsoever. Although I haven't actually tried playing female characters as, say, a Mercenary -> join IG.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    No acknowledgment of my character's sex in any of my playthroughs, including IG.

^ Top  
  24. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    :negative:
    Hopefully VD changed his mind for Colony Ship RPG
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Wyatt_Derp Savant

Wyatt_Derp
    I wouldn't mind occasionally playing as a bouncy titty hot chick, but sadly most of the females in games these days are just wannabe tomboy types. Thus the choice is between strong man or not as strong wo-man who wants to be strong man. If your RPG skill slider had a minimum limit for strength at either 5 or 6, which number are you going to pick? Roll them snake-eyes.

Or to put it in more nerdspeak. Wanna play as a dwarf? Then don't make a 7 foot tall warrior and name him Gimli. Differentiation and specialization are wonderful things.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top