Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A paid DLC is paid DLC, no matter how good the base game is. Besides, the DLC for kingmaker isn't really great.

If you re play the MC with tiefling and kineticist, your experience will change a lot.

But even with all DLC's, the price is not that different. One game is asking $60 and another, is asking $65 for the full experience and gives the option to pay $40 for the base game. This is not an AAA $60 for the game + $80 for season pass + lootbox BS.

I played through Wizardry 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 7 out of the 9 D&D Gold Box RPGs.
Kingmaker may be astonishingly hard for the new generation of self proclaimed RPG nerds, but its difficulty is nothing to write home about for me.
thinking about the fastest, most efficient or even most gruesome way to solve the battles in Divinity: OS 2 was more of a challenge to me than the "hardcore" RTwP battles in Bugfinder: Patchmaker.

Cool. Did you played Pathfinder Kingmaker with only one party member on UNFAIR??

I found Pathfinder Kingmaker on my custom difficulty far more hard than BG or NWN on hardest difficulty. But is not only difficulty that makes an game. How many different spells can you cast on Dos2? How many deicions that impact the story can you make? Can you be an necromancer raising an undead army? Or you are restricted to only one summon? Can your archer hit an elephant sized target at 14m? Or he is limited to an nerf range gun? Can you use skills at will as longs you have "power" or they are limited to cooldown? Can you cast spells like ice prison at the start of a fight? Without BS armor mechanic? Can you wear actual armor that deflects blows instead of this bs "bonus to hp" armor? I own an 175 lbf crossbow IRL and trust on me. Hit targets far smaller than an human at 50m is not hard for me and i don't consider myself an good shooter; see someone that trains with an bow his entire life as if his life, success and family depends upon it not able to hit an elephant at 14m is so silly that insta breaks my suspension of disbelief. Sure, P:K had much more nerfed ranges compared to PnP, some spells like Horrid Wilting should have 400 feet + 40 feet / caster level, but at least is not limited as on DOS2. Difficulty is not everything in a game. Might & Magic VII is far easier than VI and i honestly like both eqqualy.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
imagine unironically defending classes as paid DLC while the base game is still in an unfinished buggy state

I an re playing pathfinder kingmaker, at moment i an lv 10 and din't encountered an single bug. Did you used torrent to download an earlier version of the game? As for classes as paid DLC's, all core classes/races are in the game and even some prestige classes. You say as if an option to purchase an DLC that an small studio worked hard to implement and even made an public poll(i was wishing witch but unfortunately kineticist won) is awful, as if no class DLC ever existed before(mainly prestige classes on nwn1) and if is the same as an AAA publisher asking for $60 base game + $80 season pass + lootbox. Do you see an problem with hotu nwn1 expansion?

Martyr

Arcane
I played through Wizardry 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 7 out of the 9 D&D Gold Box RPGs.
Kingmaker may be astonishingly hard for the new generation of self proclaimed RPG nerds, but its difficulty is nothing to write home about for me.
thinking about the fastest, most efficient or even most gruesome way to solve the battles in Divinity: OS 2 was more of a challenge to me than the "hardcore" RTwP battles in Bugfinder: Patchmaker.

Cool. Did you played Pathfinder Kingmaker with only one party member on UNFAIR??

I found Pathfinder Kingmaker on my custom difficulty far more hard than BG or NWN on hardest difficulty. But is not only difficulty that makes an game. How many different spells can you cast on Dos2? How many deicions that impact the story can you make? Can you be an necromancer raising an undead army? Or you are restricted to only one summon? Can your archer hit an elephant sized target at 14m? Or he is limited to an nerf range gun? Can you use skills at will as longs you have "power" or they are limited to cooldown? Can you cast spells like ice prison at the start of a fight? Without BS armor mechanic? Can you wear actual armor that deflects blows instead of this bs "bonus to hp" armor? I own an 175 lbf crossbow IRL and trust on me. Hit targets far smaller than an human at 50m is not hard for me and i don't consider myself an good shooter; see someone that trains with an bow his entire life as if his life, success and family depends upon it not able to hit an elephant at 14m is so silly that insta breaks my suspension of disbelief. Sure, P:K had much more nerfed ranges compared to PnP, some spells like Horrid Wilting should have 400 feet + 40 feet / caster level, but at least is not limited as on DOS2. Difficulty is not everything in a game. Might & Magic VII is far easier than VI and i honestly like both eqqualy.

imo I shouldn't need to play a party based RPG with a single character and on highest difficulty to have challenging gameplay.
also as I've said, I also like the more open approach of Divinity more.
in D:OS2 --> you arrive at the prison island, your quest is to escape the prison and get rid of the collar. there are multiple solutions how to do that and you're pretty much free to do whatever you want.
in P:K --> scripted event: oh noes, Tristan is a traitor! next step: travel to Candlemere lake. fight your way up unto the tower.
what I'm trying to say: P:K is linear and highly scripted, D:OS2 is not. therefore I prefer D:OS2. not saying that P:K is a bad game though, it has entertained me for dozens of hours. but D:OS2 entertained me even more.

Shadenuat

Arcane
imagine unironically defending classes as paid DLC while the base game is still in an unfinished buggy state
it's not a class DLC.

it's class, race, 2 new companions, extra quests, dialogue, and new locations and fights.
It's a paid class DLC for an unfinished buggy game.
to say "it's class DLC" would mean you are only getting class and that's it.

You are free to be butthurt over DLCs in general and their relevance to game being buggy, but you are making it sound as if content is just a class and not worth the money/they're ripping u off which is untrue.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It may have been hard at release but when I played it, it was far too easy. I can't remember a single tough battle. Everything can be beaten by just casting all your biggest most OP spells at once. Send in the tanks, spam a few heals, blow up the entire room. DoS2 has far fewer spells but at least they have battles that are tuned to be a real challenge. Anyone who isn't a retarded storyfag, Agame, should much prefer this. I played DoS2 ages ago and can still remember some of the big fights.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What were the budgets of
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Divinity Original Sin 2
Deadfire btw?

Incendax

Augur
How many different spells can you cast on Dos2? How many deicions that impact the story can you make? Can you be an necromancer raising an undead army? Or you are restricted to only one summon? Can your archer hit an elephant sized target at 14m? Or he is limited to an nerf range gun? Can you use skills at will as longs you have "power" or they are limited to cooldown? Can you cast spells like ice prison at the start of a fight? Without BS armor mechanic? Can you wear actual armor that deflects blows instead of this bs "bonus to hp" armor? I own an 175 lbf crossbow IRL and trust on me. Hit targets far smaller than an human at 50m is not hard for me and i don't consider myself an good shooter; see someone that trains with an bow his entire life as if his life, success and family depends upon it not able to hit an elephant at 14m is so silly that insta breaks my suspension of disbelief. Sure, P:K had much more nerfed ranges compared to PnP, some spells like Horrid Wilting should have 400 feet + 40 feet / caster level, but at least is not limited as on DOS2. Difficulty is not everything in a game. Might & Magic VII is far easier than VI and i honestly like both eqqualy.
237. Most of the choices in both games are about which NPC portrait continues the story. Sadly, no. 20 summons technically, 16 summons effectively. Yes, my archer can hit an elephant sized target at 14m. Some of both. Yes. Depends on the enemy. They are RNG vs Deterministic abstracts of the same concept.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
n D:OS2 --> you arrive at the prison island, your quest is to escape the prison and get rid of the collar. there are multiple solutions how to do that and you're pretty much free to do whatever you want.
in P:K --> scripted event: oh noes, Tristan is a traitor! next step: travel to Candlemere lake. fight your way up unto the tower.

I strongly disagree. How you take the collar is in a very linear way. And despite pathfinder kingmaker having few linear parts, the game offers a lot of freedom in other areas. Baldur's Gate 2 had some linear parts and some open parts. The lizardfolk side quest for eg, i solved in two completely different ways that din't just changed some dialogs on my two runs... Hell, you can even romance an Nymph. Will not give spoils about who the nymph is.

Deadfire's budget was Obsidian's freedom

Exactly. Obsidian soul to M$. IMO Deadfire failed not because is a bad game, but due the colonial setting.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What is deterministic? Or, the arguement of that vs RNG?

Shadenuat

Arcane
DOS2 is chapter-based and broken down on MMO areas where enemies have 500 times more armor and hp than you do if you go incorrect way, what's so non-linear about it idk.

Funposter

Arcane
DOS2 is chapter-based and broken down on MMO areas where enemies have 500 times more armor and hp than you do if you go incorrect way, what's so non-linear about it idk.

it's non-linear if you play on a low difficulty, or if you're willing to save-scum.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What is deterministic? Or, the arguement of that vs RNG?

RNG based spell = D6 * caster level damage
Deterministic spell = 3 damage * caster level

In one, the dice roll can be the difference of 10 or 60 at lv 10. On another, the spell always deals 30 damage at lv 10.

This is one aspect that i hate the most on mmos. Too much "number check wall" and too little numbers that represent something... On PfK, with lucky and strategy, you can technically can kill an elder water elemental(CR = 11) at lv 5(i know because i did it)..

Martyr

Arcane

it's non-linear if you're willing to save-scum.
nothing wrong with that. multiple quests can be solved by killing everybody on sight and yup, to succeed you have to save-scum more often than not. and I like that, multiple ways to solve a quest. that you mustn't read through tons of dialogue and do investigative tasks if you don't want to.
like that late-game content in Baldur's Gate 2, when you visit the Underdark. you're supposed to do several quests there, but instead of doing that I killed every single Drow in that city. that was a legit way to progress the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
This is one aspect that i hate the most on mmos. Too much "number check wall" and too little numbers that represent something... On PfK, with lucky and strategy, you can technically can kill an elder water elemental(CR = 11) at lv 5(i know because i did it)..
It is a strength of varied systems with all the assymmetries where you can go around basic stats like hp or saving throws, yes. I killed Crag Linnorm at much lower level than others and even without Cold Iron weapon for example.

Funposter

Arcane

it's non-linear if you're willing to save-scum.
nothing wrong with that. multiple quests can be solved by killing everybody on sight and yup, to succeed you have to save-scum more often than not

In this case I meant "geographically non-linear" as in, "yes you can go to the graveyard at the beginning of Act 2, but have fun being ass-raped because everything there is a level or two higher than you are, which means you should fuck off and go talk to those fish-mongering Dwarves."

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's non-linear in the first chapter, also known as the best part of the whole game. The combat was much better in first chapter as well since the stats bloat hasn't kick in yet. The only setback is you get very little skills to use because you can't afford the skill books unless you cheese your way through it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean yeah, but it's just first chapter, you mostly skip content/xp if you do things in non-linear (like NOT fighting evil priests) way and nothing changes regardless of what you do in the camp either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom