Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Kangmaker is d20. Kangmaker is murderhoboing.

DOS2 is diversity. DOS2 is popamole armor.

Obviously Kangmaker (with TB mod) is better than DOS2.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Zimbabwe inflation on numbers that means nothing

:shredder:

Unlike Kingmaker which doesn't have AC and stats inflation at all, right ? right ?

You are correct, Dork Canoli, it doesn't. As with the Wuhan Flu, exponential DNE linear.

Likewise, much of the relevant increase in P:K takes place under the hood via stat/lvl abilities and artisans bringing good stuff to your door, whereas in D:OSII you end up warping around and hitting up eight approved vendors every level to check out their updated inventory like Diablo III on meth.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You are correct, Dork Canoli, it doesn't. As with the Wuhan Flu, exponential DNE linear.

Likewise, much of the relevant increase in P:K takes place under the hood via stat/lvl abilities and artisans bringing good stuff to your door, whereas in D:OSII you end up warping around and hitting up eight approved vendors every level to check out their updated inventory like Diablo III on meth.

Everyone already knows DOS 1 & 2 weaknesses and retarded features (itemization, cool-downs, environmental interactions which are fun as long as they're new and then it's just a hassle way before mid-game), still, it doesn't give a free pass to kinkmaker which didn't do one thing right outside of character creation and even that is technically underwhelming at the very least.

Desiderius

Patron

Everyone already knows DOS 1 & 2 weaknesses and retarded features (itemization, cool-downs, environmental interactions which are fun as long as they're new and then it's just a hassle way before mid-game), still, it doesn't give a free pass to kinkmaker which didn't do one thing right outside of character creation and even that is technically underwhelming at the very least.

You made an inaccurate factual claim and were corrected.

Your jaundiced, fact-free bloviations are noted, tiresome, gratuitous, unpersuasive, and moot.

But thanks for sharing.

Desiderius

Patron
I'd put both games in the top 10% all time but it is interesting that both run out of steam at about the same stage (how much of that is suits reading their metrics and telling their devs not to bother with the second half of games?), but in different ways.

DOS II, like DOS I, really shits the bed very suddenly skill/ability-wise. You end up changing gear three times per level but using many of the same skills you started the game with, supplemented by the good skills from the other classes like Adrenaline and Tactical Retreat. It's less of a case of those skills being better than higher level skills than higher level skills just not existing at all, which really took a lot of the motivation out of playing the game. They opened up a huge design space with the combined element skills (and source skills) and in most cases failed to even begin to fill it with anything meaningful or difficult to attain for that matter.

In contrast getting to your cool late game abilities (or in the case of level 20 not getting to them) was one of the few things powerful enough to pull you through the slog of Pitax and House in P:K. All the cool mini areas and random encounters of CH 1-3 are gone and Kingdom Management is a barren wasteland like D:OS I/II skills at that point (it's almost like D:OS has the hypernukes so you can skip through its drudgery quickly if you wanted, P:K has Surprise Spells). I had to hit Skip Day 223 consecutive times after the content ran out in P:K before I could get to House in my last playthrough.

Neerasrc

Learned
I played both with pleasure. Kingmaker's new game will get closer to homm4. I am very happy with it. At least they're still trying to improve IE game codes and be innovative. Whichever is better, P.K is not a big enough game. Both games have their pros and cons. Under these circumstances, the best game is still dos2. (this is the case for me)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kingmaker not big enough? Honestly I don't know how to respond to such a claim. I'm speechless.

Neerasrc

Learned
Kingmaker not big enough? Honestly I don't know how to respond to such a claim. I'm speechless.

Everyone's opinion is different. The level of games made with IE codes is obvious what they can do. They cannot go further .. Continuous loading screens and small and narrow spaces .. Sanırım I am tired of the games made with "infinity engine" that look the same. Yes, PK the game is not big, wherever you look, you see a limitation.

Take a look at the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jdPN0dipFw&t=1s

Imagine that a bard uses different instruments and that the whole game changes their music. At least it allows us to see the experiences you dreamed on the desktop in the game. Divinity engine crpg is the only way out mechanically in modern time. At least this is the case for now. The writing quality of dos2 may not be for you, but when you see / experience what it offers you, you get a completely different feeling. You can also understand this from the point where "bioware" came from. The last "dragon age" game is so weak mechanically that even themselves complain about it. (frostbite game engine) You will understand better when you compare the first game to the last game.

As a result, I want to see progress in a crpg game. We have been seeing the same things for 20 years already. (IE) dos2 is a bigger game because the events you have in the game are very open-ended and provide a different experience. It is almost impossible to see them mechanically in IE. It does not matter to me whether the Combat part is RTWP or TB. I love both and enjoy them. But dos 2 offers you a much bigger / different experience than the kingmaker.

Finally; This is a personal opinion. This situation can change for everyone.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
P.K is not a big enough game.

ZvYqp93.png

170 hours is not big enough?

Neerasrc

Learned
P.K is not a big enough game.

ZvYqp93.png

There are also people doing "speedrun". There are also those with 300 hours of play time with the same game mechanics. It is important what the game offers you. As the game mechanics increase, you can do more in the world you hope to live in. The limit of IE mechanics is clear. You won't see an open / semi-open world like the dos series. Because the game engine limits them. That's why Bethesda has been using the same engine for years. If they switch to the new game engine, they will have to throw dozens of mechanics in the trash. It takes years to seamlessly integrate all mechanics into the new game engine.
For example;
You will enter a house. Imagine it is a locked door.

It is a mechanic to open this with "lockpick". Burning this door with a flame (wood door) or smashing it with an ax is another mechanic. I'm not talking about following the story to find the key. (Maybe it will take 20 hours to find the key) I'm talking about what the game offers you. How open-ended and how big.. What can we do in a game? In a crpg, mechanics are very important, and as mechanics increase, the game grows and your freedom increases. This is the purpose of the experience we call role-playing.

Games made with "IE" are always the same. Only stories are different. There has been little mechanical development for 20 years and the experience they offer to the player is always the same.

I hope you understand.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A gentle reminder: Kingmaker was not made in Infinity Engine.
Kingmaker is vastly more complex and interesting mechanics-wise then IE games ever were (barring mage duels, I guess).

Silly Germans

Both are great games. But Kingmakers greatest strength is also its weak point for me. It feels similar to the infinity games
and due to the rule set to also a little bit like NWNI/II. Like a dish prepared in different ways, it still is the same dish in
the end. D:OS2 offers a different "taste"(<- i am aware that this invites smart comments which will surely follow soon)
and i can't name a single game that could replace D:OS1/2. This novelty/ingenuity places it higher despite its several
weaknesses.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

170 hours ...
Including 50 hours of skipping days, clicking the same cards or playing that inane construction retardation.
40 hours of loading screens
20 hours of fetch artisan quests.
10 hours of resting
And 20 hours of waiting for the laggy character level-up screen to respond

Was fun! I can't wait to not play the sequel.

Last edited:

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
DOS2 far better for me.
Shitmaker combat is shit.
Was thinking about triyng TB mod, but I better wait for an official one in WotR

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Kingmaker has a perfectly functional Turn Based mod, which works flawlessly. All mechanics come from a turn based system. So this point is actually moot.

Wrong, the TB fanmade MOD is alright but it includes some pathfinding errors while in combat resulting in losing some party members turns, even when you're used to it and it doesn't have all ToEE functionalities.
And it only makes the combat slightly less retarded, shitty random encounters and the lack of encounter design are still all over the place.

It doesn't fix all the retarded features either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom