Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does anyone else have anxiety attacks around character creation?

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
character creation part should not be taken so seriously.

when im creating my character i try to make it balanced and have at least average wisdom and intelligence. same goes with dexterity. strength constitution and charisma should be above average.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For anxiety there are SSRI and who the hell prescriped you amphetamine?

No one. Stimulants are not for anxiety but for motivation and focus, they help in accomplishing tasks. A perfectionist obsessed about details is usually a serial procrastinator who is too afraid to face the reality that everything he does has problems and little nitpicks. He'll get the urge to restart things from the ground up if a little imperfection is found, so he'll be constantly fighting that urge or constantly resuming things from the very beginning. After some time doing this, he'll begin to loathe himself because he can't accomplish anything and sink into depression. Stimulants can help break this pattern.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Stimulants can be good for anxiety, too busy rocking a hard-on and feeling in the zone to give a toss about anything around you.

moraes is right though, the best thing about such medication is their cyclical habit pattern breaking ability when used as such, and not as a crutch.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
ADHD script. They're pretty tight with them from what I understand in Australia due to your whole meth fancyin' business over there. The problem with medium-long term stimulant scripts is that they can create their own cycles which are even harder to break out of since they're reinforced so hard with the heightened dopamine and noradrenaline hits you get from them.

laclongquan

Arcane
I spend two hours to choose the right avatar. The right face.
Can you fucking believe no suitable portraits after a decade of Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale 2? :outrage: I check some portrait mods and naaaaah~ My MC, Nalia, Aerie all got my own customized avatars, even the large portraits. I am having two mind about Jaheira so I havent made hers yet.

Males can just fuck off. Like Minsc and Anomen.

Also: ms paint give unusable 24bit bmp and 256 color is just the worst. YET paintdotnet can give a very good 24bit bmp. What the fuck, over?! :outrage:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
For my next IE runs I will use anime avatars.

Minsc.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
[reads thread title]

what in the fuck

EDIT: as for amphetimes don't ever take them unless you can secure a guarantee that you will be provided with them for the entire rest of your life: otherwise don't bother.

why? because they are EXTREMELY addictive and if you spend enough years on amps then you will cease to be able to function or develop your own personality without them, and when you do eventually run out and can no longer get doctors to continue giving you amp scripts then you will have to go through several long years, decades even, of having to completely restructure and reinvent your entire personality and how you function day-to-day.

basically it's exactly the same as with cocaine and other uppers: they make life too good when you're on them, and they make you too competent and too intelligent, and when eventually you no longer have access to them your life and personality and way of functioning will be compromised and broken without them.

it ain't worth it. just learn to live and function without the amps to start with. Amps/uppers are simply too good, and when you can no longer get them, as eventually always happens, then life will no longer seem worth living, so best just avoid the entire ordeal altogether.

Last edited:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
aweigh said:
[reads thread title]

what in the fuck

EDIT: as for amphetimes don't ever take them unless you can secure a guarantee that you will be provided with them for the entire rest of your life: otherwise don't bother.

why? because they are EXTREMELY addictive and if you spend enough years on amps then you will cease to be able to function or develop your own personality without them, and when you do eventually run out and can no longer get doctors to continue giving you amp scripts then you will have to go through several long years, decades even, of having to completely restructure and reinvent your entire personality and how you function day-to-day.

basically it's exactly the same as with cocaine and other uppers: they make life too good when you're on them, and they make you too competent and too intelligent, and when eventually you no longer have access to them your life and personality and way of functioning will be compromised and broken without them.

it ain't worth it. just learn to live and function without the amps to start with. Amps/uppers are simply too good, and when you can no longer get them, as eventually always happens, then life will no longer seem worth living, so best just avoid the entire ordeal altogether.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No, I don't have anxiety attacks. However as many people in this thread - I admit to spend too much time at character creation and sometimes min-maxing too much in games that don't really require nor reward it. Mind You there are some games that do reward or even require it - like for example some traditional roguelikes but CRPGs are usually so easy that trying to make perfect builds is counter-productive. But I still sometimes do it. OTOH coming up with perfect builds can be a fun exercise in itself if the system is complex and interesting enough. And I don't get blocked to the point of not being able to start the actual game.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Shattered Lands character creation made me feel uneasy, the fact you can just max every stat if you want felt like cheating to me, and in the end I just went with rolled stats and used the edit function to move some points around.

Ironically that may have "healed" my minmaxing obsession while playing this game; having disregarded such advantages makes it silly to worry about a +1 here or there during the game.

laclongquan

Arcane
basically it's exactly the same as with cocaine and other uppers: they make life too good when you're on them, and they make you too competent and too intelligent, and when eventually you no longer have access to them your life and personality and way of functioning will be compromised and broken without them..

NOw this is pure F grade biology 101.

If they actually make me too competent and too intelligent, being addicted to them is cheap price. Very cheap.

What they will do is to make you think you are too competent and too intelligent.

They are two different things entirely~

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah i just rolls characters for fun then play them. Shit they die and i delete their bitch punk asses. It doesnt matter if there is no PD in the gane. DIE YOU WEAK MUTHA FUCKERS!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have anxiety, but it's never triggered by character creation. Which is a good thing because I seem to spend more time rolling characters than I do playing the game those characters are for.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
as for amphetimes don't ever take them unless you can secure a guarantee that you will be provided with them for the entire rest of your life: otherwise don't bother.

I couldn't keep up a single time period of unnatural stimulation last very long. In the end the destabilizing effect hit me harder than the initial boon that was the stimulation itself. That must be true even more for these mass-dopamine mass-serotonin inducers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom