Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 - Grim Antiquity

Mraston

Learned
2013-10-15-graphic2.jpg

I propose a low magic Dominions 4 game, using the vaguely classical antiquity nations (Early age), being;

Arcoscephale ≈Greeks = Dayyālu
Marverni ≈ Celtic Gauls (General NW Barbarians) = raw
Sauromatia ≈ Scythian Amazons = KoolNoodles
Machaka ≈ Numidia = Muty
C’tis ≈ Egypt Mraston
Hinnom ≈ Levantine tribes hoverdog
Therodos≈ AtlantisGrimwulf

(Have I missed any/wrongly left any in? I left out Rome/Ermor on purpose).

Low magic research, money and resources, tough independents (the barbarian tribes must be abated). A smattering of magic sites and no thrones (?).

Possible using this map: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/uropia-map-for-dom4

Any one know any good low magic/real life mods?

Interested?

Players,
6 of 7 spots filled:

Mraston
Grimwulf
Muty
Squeeco
Hoverdog
Raw
KoolNoodles

Nations assigned at random.

Magic Sites - 5
Indies - 8
Resource and gold: 100%
Supplies: 50%
Research: Very difficult.
Score Graphs - On
Hall Of Fame - 15

Game at submit pretender stage:

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GrimAnt

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Fucks, that's my favorite settings. As much as I like playing around with magics and stuff, pure warfare has always been my most beloved part of the game. Formations, army composition, MEN VS MEN!

But why EA? This era is the most magic-centric one. LA would be a more logical thing here, no?

Mraston

Learned
Fucks, that's my favorite settings. As much as I like playing around with magics and stuff, pure warfare has always been my most beloved part of the game. Formations, army composition, MEN VS MEN!

But why EA? This era is the most magic-centric one. LA would be a more logical thing here, no?

Yes it would be, I'll scrap EA.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I could go for this maybe, as long as it doesn't start like tomorrow (swamped with work atm). I'd prefer a vanilla LA game since I've never played one, but this works as well. I'm also ok with adding some RP elements/houserules as well, sounds like a good setup for that.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LA is awful really. EA was a better idea. Or even MA, plenty of human nations in MA.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also less blood in MA and in LA blood will easily dominate the game. Blood and crossbows.

Mraston

Learned
Reconsidering EA/LA I'm going to stick with EA, so the Nation list stands.

This decisions is based almost purely on the fact late age Arcoscephale has monkey units. I dislike that.

Mraston

Learned
So the way I see it;

Arcoscephale ≈ Athenlike Greeks (does Arcoscephale have boats?)
Marverni ≈ Celtic Gauls
Sauromatia ≈ Scythian Amazons
Machaka ≈ Numidia
C’tis ≈ Egypt
Pangea ≈ Mythic Creatures not yet stamped out by men
Berytos ≈ Eastern Greeks (Ionians or so, general Greek colonies?)

Ur is more ancient Babylonian than Persian right?

I feel like I could be persuaded to remove Pangea and Berytos - would probably make things neater.

Edit:

I'm going to review MA a little later, I may decide that's the way to go...hang tight.

Johannes

Arcane
For EA shouldn't you include Ulm at least also? Or are they out by the same logic that Ermor is (which I'm not sure I'm following)?

Then there's Pelagia and Oceania to consider, sice Pangaea's in as well, I haven't yet checked their new incarnations out much though.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
So the way I see it;

Arcoscephale ≈ Athenlike Greeks (does Arcoscephale have boats?)
Marverni ≈ Celtic Gauls
Sauromatia ≈ Scythian Amazons
Machaka ≈ Numidia
C’tis ≈ Egypt
Pangea ≈ Mythic Creatures not yet stamped out by men
Berytos ≈ Eastern Greeks (Ionians or so, general Greek colonies?)

I feel like I could be persuaded to remove Pangea and Berytos - would probably make things neater.

Edit:

I'm going to review MA a little later, I may decide that's the way to go...hang tight.
I believe Byretos is Carthage.

Edit: Damn it wulf!

sqeecoo

Arcane
I don't mind EA, but I agree that it's the most magic-centric age. Perhaps we should go with MA or LA with the OP nations removed. I also don't see why Rome is out :)

Blood and crossbows!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I don't mind EA, but I agree that it's the most magic-centric age. Perhaps we should go with MA or LA with the OP nations removed. I also don't see why Rome is out :)

Blood and crossbows!
increase neutral strength, reduce magic site frequency and voila

Yah, I would remove Berytos. Probably the most op nation in EA.
Is it though?

I would add the new Therodos or whatever it's called too. And Ur maybe.

Sumerian really.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is it though?

Top 3 at the very least. And if it wasn't powerful enough, they added new national summons too. Ffs.

Anyway, I'm fine with whatever nations and era Mraston decides. Low-magic settings is reason enough for me to sign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom