Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 - Medieval Era Meditteranean Style

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So I've had an idea kicking around to try and make a "Medieval Era" type Dominions game set around the meditteranean. It obviously can't be perfect, but here's my thoughts. This game wouldn't start for a while, or not at all. Just depends.

Still pondering the rules and mods I want, but here's a rough map(placement is off), and rules/mods so far. It will not be a balanced game. I've only briefly played with the nations listed. Most of them seem to at least not be broken.

UEIEYIB.jpg

The age will be MA.
Disciples or Teams w/ victory conditions and/or custom victory conditions(I.E. if the Papacy and their cronies take certain provinces, they win and I will end the game). That's all a bit up in the air though.

Some Disciples/Teams will have more than others. There will be some nations on their own. Some nations(Papacy) will be neutral. I am still debating the rules on this, but it's either they can't fight other nations directly, or they can help fight(like mercenaries) but can't hold land. "Christian" nations will have to pay a yearly sum of gold and gems etc. to the Papacy. Other fun stuff like that.

Research will be sllloowwwww.
There will be no indie recruitment, but there will be PD.
Starting player provinces will probably be somewhere between 3-6, and I'm also thinking of having fixed borders for some(I.E. Papacy can't expand beyond certain boundaries. Sorry guy).

Special sites will be down, but not too low.
Indies will be down(the Earth is not that crowed yet).
Supplies will be down(obvious).

I don't want people in the ocean. If you want to crusade/jihad, you've got to go around through Byzantium, or take the few ports.

Map: http://www.desura.com/games/dominio...on-422-20622-more-caves-and-balanced-revision

Nation Mods(these will NOT be balanced, don't complain):
Imram(Egypt-Mamlukes): http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/ma-iram-city-of-brass

Aksam(Ethiopa, maybe): http://www.desura.com/games/dominio...ons/forum/thread/aksum-empire-of-the-savannah

Byzantium(had one error, though it worked in SP): http://www.desura.com/games/dominio...ons/forum/thread/byzantine-pythium-nation-mod

Al-Nadim(Arabia etc.): http://www.desura.com/games/dominio...hread/ma-al-nadim-the-thousand-and-one-nights

Aurum(Papacy?): http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1617

Svarogia(Poland-Hungaryish maybe?): http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1625

Shambhala(Tibet/India): http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1623

Might add/find more.

Normal nations to probably include: Marignon(Spain), Ulm(France-Germany), Vanarus(Russia).

If you're interested or have other thoughts I'll gladly hear them. The map will have to be modded a bit, and some other mods might need some help. I'm not that great at that sorta stuff, so that's why this game is just a pipe dream as of now. Was more that I saw some decent nation mods and a map that sorta kinda looks OK for the place, and wanted to gauge interest.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Hmm, I don't want to over-commit myself, as this would be the third Dom4 game I'd be signing up for in less than 24 hours. However, it sounds like it's not happening right away, so put me down as interested. I definitely think it sounds like fun.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hmm, I don't want to over-commit myself, as this would be the third Dom4 game I'd be signing up for in less than 24 hours. However, it sounds like it's not happening right away, so put me down as interested. I definitely think it sounds like fun.

Yeah don't worry, much like Grimwulf's diplo heavy game, this will probably take a while to get setup.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Oh, for the love of all that is icky and mired in madness, this sounds great! As it'll take awhile to begin, count me in, count me in!

EDIT: I love convoluted rules and scheming. Different ways to enjoy Dom4. Yush!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
For those wondering on the miscellaneous mods, High Holy is for the religious wars theme. No Indy + Nation Commanders if I can get it working is to keep armies thematic but allow more recruitment areas. Mobility is to make marching around on Crusades not so terrible.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Shame I don't have any time to play lately, as this looks like great fun to play and RP with. Hope there's at least a LP coming with it.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So on further testing, Aksam is out.

Mobility seems to work for some nations/units and not others, so might be out(Ulm infantry commanders[but not units] moving as fast as Iram camel warriors, for example :lol:). Unfortunately the mod hasn't been update in a while so doesn't cover some units(and no mod units).

High Holy mostly works, but some Pretenders mysteriously don't get the holy levels. All human size/Titan types seem to work, but Earth Serpent didn't, so.....who knows. Maybe in that case we'll stick to human pretenders for theme.

The no indie recruit + national commander recruit mostly works, but some nations get better recruitment. I.E. Vanarus can recruit a bunch of commanders....but no units, whereas Iram can recruit a couple commanders and a couple units but they are mostly underwhelming, and Aurum can't recruit anything.....but they are probably going to be the Papacy so that might not really matter.

So I'll have to test that out in a couple games to see if it unbalances things too much.

Other than those tidbits it mostly works. Going to get going on fixed starts for the map, and pondering what vanilla nations to include to round it out.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
How "fantastic" do we wanna go? Are we trying for some sort of "low fantasy" vibe?

Yeah, somewhat. Or at least as low fantasy as Dominions can allow. Maybe Arthurian legend fantasy, since there won't be much in the way of big spells.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
LA T'ien Ch'i (for the concept of Mongol invaders) or LA Ulm (But Svarogia seems to fill the bill) seem kind of appropriate for this. Is Machaka too low-tech to share a spot next to Egypt and Arabia?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
LA T'ien Ch'i (for the concept of Mongol invaders) or LA Ulm (But Svarogia seems to fill the bill) seem kind of appropriate for this. Is Machaka too low-tech to share a spot next to Egypt and Arabia?

Well to fit those in I'd have to work with the "all nations in the same era" mod, and that might create some conflicts. Right now I'm trying to fit in MA nations, because most of the appropriate mod nations are MA.

Can look at it though.

Machaka could work as another "African" nation, maybe south west of Egypt or taking the place of Aksam(Ethiopia), which is EA and not working properly.

Edit: Could also add Man in the north west as "England", and move France-Germany(Ulm) over a bit.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Russia for me please. Bogarus exists in vanilla, and svarogia as a MA mod nation. Else Vanarus.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Russia for me please. Bogarus exists in vanilla, and svarogia as a MA mod nation. Else Vanarus.

Yeah, Svarogia is in, but they will likely be the southern neighbor of "Russia", representing Hungary as best as can be. Russia will either be Vanarus, or Bogarus if I do all nations. Not sure yet if those two should be aligned to make things a little more even(Again, still debating how best to do that...Disciples or....).

Got most of the starts roughly modded in, now just gotta tweak some things. I'll post a more detailed map in the coming days. Capital start will be modded, but since I'm giving people probably 4 provinces to start, that will be random.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I subbed into a few more games than I probably should have, so this has taken a back seat. Still working on finalizing start pos and nations though, and some of the House Rules I'd like to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom