Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominus.

Andhaira

Arcane
Anyone else remember this puppy? Basically you were an evil overlord with a monstrous army and you had to stave off ravening hordes of other beings such as yourself.

You could create new creatures by melding other ones together in a mutation lab, you could cast tons of spells, lay traps, or even enter the fray yourself.

Its major flaw though, was that gameplay was decidedly one sided. It was always a horde about to attack you and you stave it off, and then attack the enemy. No diplomacy (at least, I don't recall any).

Discuss this old gem!!

Hah, yeah I remember that game. My memory is a bit clouded as I was about 9 or 10 years old when I played it. As far as I can recall, it was a challenging and very addictive experience. Can't really remember if I actually finished it. Maybe I will give it a shot when I'll have some more time to spare.

Goddamn, gaming back then really was about diversification and originality, not that copy&paste bullshit that is released nowadays... Thanks for this short moment of nostalgia, Brother Darkness.

Edit: Oh lord have mercy, childhood memories are coming back as I'm sippin' on the Henny. Another game which features the very awesome mutation lab aspect of Dominus sprung into my mind. It's called "Gene Wars". So if you want to experience some good old game you should also check that one out.

Andhaira

Arcane
Thanks, I'll check it out when I have the time. And you are right, in olden tmes people produced more original ideas than today. Possibly because today games take millions of dollars to produce, and thus producing something for so much which might not sell is a huge turnoff to the AAA developers. It sucks, but it's reality.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I said this in other thread, but Dominus blows Dungeon Keeper out of the water, idea-wise. Yeah, Dungeon Keeper is more streamlined and shit, but compared to Dominus it might as well have been a light-hearted casual browser game. On the other hand, playing Dominus without a manual on hand is basically impossible.

Andhaira

Arcane
I just wish the personal fighting could have been more fun. It was fun true, but I wanted more. Some real action packed combat with combos!

Boleskine

Arcane
:necro:

I don't think I'd known about this game before ADG's video today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom