Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Don't Starve

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
E-larping and creating wacky shit for its own sake usually trumps gameplay reasons in Don't Starve. You can make a variety of items but don't even need that many to sustain yourself. Game should be much tighter and have a better relationship/need for crafting/using certain things. It's almost like a TES game without the content. You can explore but it isn't as if you're going to find neat stuff or unique enemies.

Contrast that with their work in Invisible, Inc, where you have a much tighter experience and functionality of skills, items, etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
E-larping and creating wacky shit for its own sake usually trumps gameplay reasons in Don't Starve. You can make a variety of items but don't even need that many to sustain yourself.

That's a classic problem of the games developed gradually, patch by patch. All the updates are nice and add a lot of cool stuff but rarely integrate into the core game tightly enough and feel like an optional challenges. Prison Architect and DS are worst examples of this even though both are fantastic games otherwise.

Mozg

Arcane
Eh, I think it's really that there's a critical mass of petty annoyances, often because of the gamepad interface but sometimes not, rather than that they haven't found anything interesting to do with a sandbox. Unreal World doesn't have any exciting endgame but I never come away from it feeling annoyed after I've reached a good stopping point where everything becomes sustainable. Like why does every single biome need to be on a separate peninsula on a basically asterisk-shaped island (and again the same thing on every cave beneath that island)? It makes is so everything is effectively extremely far apart when I have to detour around long inlets to get to neighboring biomes.

Another thing Unreal World does in the interface that would help a ton: automatically pull items from the ground nearby for crafting.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Shipwrecked was released, seems after 2 years of patching and 2 dlc this seems to be complete now.

Time to be a pirate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom