Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Don't Worry, Dragon Age II Is For You, Too

BlackCanopus

Novice
Xor said:
BlackCanopus said:
It also forced the designers into an awkward spot where they had to accommodate top-down turn-taking players and behind-the-back action-first players. By catering to the more reckless of those playing styles, the designers were forced to make the game's difficulty fairly low. Making all players play from some sort of from-the-rear camera view alleviates that.
I honestly don't know what to say about this load of bullshit.

Call it like it is. A revisionist statement to give them an excuse to remove the overhead view. I suspect there is some truth to the quote, as they probably did lower the difficulty to make it easier for retards, but the viewpoint has absolutely nothing to do with that. FFS.
Yes, and that's exactly my problem with that statement. Thanks to the mandatory third-person camera used in console versions of DA:O, the console versions of the game had to be made super easy because the player did not have a tactical view of the action. This was not the case for the PC version, however.
Now, this statement claims that DA2 will be more strategic and more difficult, thanks to the new, shiny mandatory 3rd person camera used in the PC version.

And I say again: I honestly don't know what to say about this load of bullshit.

Arcanoix

Scholar
There are some changes PC fans should know, about how their version will differ. First, and this is sort of a non-difference, but the PC game won't be made separately this time. All versions of the game are being made by BioWare's internal teams. The bigger change, however, is that the game will no longer support an overhead tactical view on any platform. This was an art and combat-design decision, the BioWare rep told me today. Support for that Baldur's Gate-style view forced the artists to design rooms and scenes that didn't have important things on their ceilings and skies — which top-down players wouldn't see.

So now what? I can look at shit on a ceiling? I don't care. All this means is that some Quick-time Event happens where I push a button and Shep- I mean, HAWKE shoots something on the ceiling, it falls and explodes. Big whoop.

Of course you wouldn't want that. Also keep in mind that the isometric view greatly disturbs the single most important RPG element: the console gamers.

Fixed.

It also forced the designers into an awkward spot where they had to accommodate top-down turn-taking players and behind-the-back action-first players. By catering to the more reckless of those playing styles, the designers were forced to make the game's difficulty fairly low. Making all players play from some sort of from-the-rear camera view alleviates that.

Recklessness usually means people who are unintelligent enough to come up with, you know, tactics? Also - I never used the turn-based pausing system and I STILL used the top-down view, especially on the bridge puzzle in DA:O.

But! PC gamers, your version will include a special option to zoom the camera out, just not up. Console gamers won't get that.

Eh.

The PC version will also handle combat commands a little differently, letting a player click to issue a continued attack command, instead of forcing them to button-mash (or mouse-click like maniacs, as it were). Leave that to the console gamers.

So....it'll be like The Witcher? Ew.

What to make of all this? Dragon Age II's lack of depth may have been exaggerated. I'd seen concerns that BioWare was abandoning its roots by making DAII more of a Mass Effect kind of game. I don't see that happening as egregiously here as I think some had feared. This series has been altered for a wider audience, but dumbed down? Sold out? I don't see that.

Someone is fucking blind. The only way to 'broaden an audience' is usually to cheapen the actual seriousness and or depth of it. I mean, look at the movie industry. IS THAT WHERE WE ARE HEADED?

:x

nasi

Novice
Gaider-Age-II.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
SimpleComplexity said:
What RPG parts? ME never had any to begin with.

Indeed, which is why ME2 kind of did benefit from doing away with the pretending and just making a slick shooter. DA2, if that simplified, will be a much different animal since, whether it was a good game or not, DA:O was a tactical RPG.

random_encounter

Educated
Support for that Baldur's Gate-style view forced the artists to design rooms and scenes that didn't have important things on their ceilings and skies — which top-down players wouldn't see.
Really? This was the only reason why the tactical overhead view was scrapped? Because someone needed to show ceilings and clouds for cutscenes?

I don't see that happening as egregiously here as I think some had feared. This series has been altered for a wider audience, but dumbed down? Sold out? I don't see that. There are classic PC RPG roots here. They're just a little more buried than before.
This doesn't sound so much like a preview than the wishful thinking of an apologist. Good grief.

circ

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
SimpleComplexity said:

Indeed, which is why ME2 kind of did benefit from doing away with the pretending and just making a slick shooter. DA2, if that simplified, will be a much different animal since, whether it was a good game or not, DA:O was a tactical RPG.
No, just no. There was nothing slick about ME2. It was popamole heavan. It went from empty corridoors to a room full of boxes, which meant there was going to be shootans. Badly done shootans.

And how can you with a straight face say DAO was in any way tactical? Yeah you could have your mage stick grease on the floor and then set it on fire, and I have to admit, it looked pretty sweet when I did that in the Underdark, I mean whatever it was called, when a few hundred dorkspawn were running over a bridge, but shit, I could just as easily done jack shit and ran them over. Or for ultimate win button usage, just played a blood mage.

circ

Arcane
random_encounter said:
Support for that Baldur's Gate-style view forced the artists to design rooms and scenes that didn't have important things on their ceilings and skies — which top-down players wouldn't see.
Really? This was the only reason why the tactical overhead view was scrapped? Because someone needed to show ceilings and clouds for cutscenes?
Yeah what the fuck. It wouldn't have anything to do with BW's pathetic 3D engine that clipped the fuck out every time it saw a roof?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
circ said:
No, just no. There was nothing slick about ME2. It was popamole heavan. It went from empty corridoors to a room full of boxes, which meant there was going to be shootans. Badly done shootans.

It was a very well done popamole shooter. I didn't say it was the best shooter of all time.

And how can you with a straight face say DAO was in any way tactical? Yeah you could have your mage stick grease on the floor and then set it on fire, and I have to admit, it looked pretty sweet when I did that in the Underdark, I mean whatever it was called, when a few hundred dorkspawn were running over a bridge, but shit, I could just as easily done jack shit and ran them over. Or for ultimate win button usage, just played a blood mage.

Yes, as I said, the quality of it is subjective but as far as the gameplay itself it was designed as a tactical RPG. I didn't say it was the best tactical RPG ever.

random_encounter

Educated
circ said:
random_encounter said:
Yeah what the fuck. It wouldn't have anything to do with BW's pathetic 3D engine that clipped the fuck out every time it saw a roof?
Or that BW apparently prioritizes superficial details that didn't matter before over gameplay mechanics?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are you all so butthurt at the ramblings of retards anyway? Did you buy DA or ME? I certainly didn't.

Let the corrupt wallow in their decadence.

SCO said:
Why are you all so butthurt at the ramblings of retards anyway? Did you buy DA or ME? I certainly didn't.

Let the corrupt wallow in their decadence.

Because when we troll VD directly, he comes here and wastes time arguing when he could be working on AoD. Hence some of us have to take out our frustration at being lured into buying Dragon Age a little more indirectly.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know I'm being trolled here, but whetever.

SimpleComplexity said:

Well, it had an inventory system, leveling mechanics, and a skill system (mostly combat skills, like in ARPGs).

I'm not saying that ME1 was an RPG, but it definitely had some elements of the genre. The second one, much less so.

Chuftie

Augur
Is this the game where it becomes Generic Medieval European Fantasy Land: The Dating Sim ?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chuftie said:
Is this the game where it becomes Generic Medieval European Fantasy Land: The Dating Sim ?

aka Rance VIII: Fall of Thedas.

Chuftie

Augur
treave said:
Chuftie said:

aka Rance VIII: Fall of Thedas.

Say what you will about it, at least will be honest.

Also the thought of Rance using his "hyper weapon" on and Morrigan fills my heart with a certain je ne sais quoi :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom