Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Efe

Erudite
Some people on here will never admit anything modern is good, unless it's specifically designed to look and feel old.

Doom 2016 has problems. Soundtrack and sound design are bad (the sound track is messy and confusing, the weapons sound wimpy and the enemy fail to give you spatial awareness) and it feels like an arena shooter designed around Brutal Doom. The graphic design is muddy at times, but at least it's not a costant harassment of the senses Blizzard-style.

But seriously, compared to the botched Doom3 (half baked Half Life clone) or to NuWolfestein? It was at least adequate. Again, feels like a AAA Brootal Doom, and that's better that what we could expect. Should we have gotten a heart-rending 3 hours gameplay-9 hours cutscene where Doomguy explores the tragedy of religion, bestiality and daddy issues?
you're calling this bad? maybe you have no taste?

Swigen

Arbiter
Sounds like every other nu male, soy boy “metal” popular today. Sheeeiiiit, maybe Periphery will do the soundtrack to Eternal and y’all can have a super gay old time.

passerby

Arcane
Doom 3 did interesting with with the lighting in its engine, but it was no Doom, and it was quite disappointing when released. We agree.

What it did with lighting was not interesting at all, in fact it was completely retarded. Only realtime lighting and pitch black shadows, made it look way worse than games that were mixing lightmaps with realtime lights and there were no hardware on release that could run it properly.

It was a better Half-Life spiritual squel than HL2. HL2 was alright but I liked D3 more and both didn't live to expectations.

hpstg

Savant
What it did with lighting was not interesting at all, in fact it was completely retarded. Only realtime lighting and pitch black shadows, made it look way worse than games that were mixing lightmaps with realtime lights and there were no hardware on release that could run it properly.

It was a better Half-Life spiritual squel than HL2. HL2 was alright but I liked D3 more and both didn't live to expectations.

I could never see the Half-Life / DOOM 3 connection back then, and I cannot see it now either, but to each is own.

As for the lighting, I should have made clear that I meant it in the technology behind it (which was awesome at the time), and not necessarily the implementation on the actual game.

PrettyDeadman

Sounds like every other nu male, soy boy “metal” popular today. Sheeeiiiit, maybe Periphery will do the soundtrack to Eternal and y’all can have a super gay old time.

Fug, Now THIS would've been a much better soundtrack:

Or they could've go with some sludgmetal:

But to be honest, nudoom soundtrack is closer to godflesh or smh than that NUmetal you posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJGSaToVQTw

Last edited by a moderator:

passerby

Arcane
I could never see the Half-Life / DOOM 3 connection back then, and I cannot see it now either, but to each is own.

Lone survivor exploring scientific facility being torn apart by monsters from another dimmension, brought to our world by scientific experiment about teleportation. Hell = Xen.
Scientific facility is designed in a believable way, with interconnected levels that create immersive and convincing setting, that doesn't feel like separate levels.
Some decent S-F theorycrafting was involved in facility design like in HL1. You also discover details about what happened through environmental storytelling like in HL1, with rare survivors replaced by System Shock like messages.
Both gameplay loop and scripted combat encounters feel very simillar to HL1. Gameplay and level design is nothing like D1/2. Doom 3 is a reskinned HL1 formula in every way imo.

Last edited:

Corvinus

Arcane
Not to take a cheap shot at you, passerby , but...
Lone survivor exploring scientific facility being torn apart by monsters from another dimmension, brought to our world by scientific experiment about teleportation.
The entire premise of Half-Life is nothing but a blatant, total rip off of Doom. Xen=Hell. It is often said that "Doom has no story", but it simply is not true. The story is in fact quite original, but told in a very abstract manner, much like its level design. That being said, I'd agree that Doom3 is much more like Half-Life rather than its predecessors (D1, D2, D64), focusing more on realistic locales and narrative.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The entire premise of Half-Life is nothing but a blatant, total rip off of Doom. Xen=Hell.

The entire premise of Half Life is in fact a retelling of The Mist, a Stephen King short story he wrote back in the 80ies (when he was still borderline good). They admitted it in Raising the Bar. Doom3 has top tier ambience tho, and it's clearly a game in the tradition of Half Life (train included!) and it was savaged back in its time for that reason by the more rabid Doom1/2 fans.

If I remember right, Doom had a story, but most of it was chopped into pieces during development. It's perfectly possible to have a Doom-style game with a somewhat strong narrative, one has just to watch Marathon (that despite being essentially inferior to Doom as a shooter, has a set-up that I like a lot).

Doom3 should have been developed from the ground up as a survival horror game: it has an excellent setting for such a thing. The main problem, as we can say, is that Doom3 is a "cinematic second generation shooter" like Half Life with horror trappings but completely devoid of proper horror: there's blood and guts everywhere but you are essentially the hunter and not the hunted. Sum that up with atrocious gunplay and incredibly uncreative level design and you have mediocrity.

I'd completely play a Alien Isolation style game with Doom3's set up tbh.

passerby

Arcane
Doom3 should have been developed from the ground up as a survival horror game: it has an excellent setting for such a thing. The main problem, as we can say, is that Doom3 is a "cinematic second generation shooter" like Half Life with horror trappings but completely devoid of proper horror: there's blood and guts everywhere but you are essentially the hunter and not the hunted. Sum that up with atrocious gunplay and incredibly uncreative level design and you have mediocrity.

I'd completely play a Alien Isolation style game with Doom3's set up tbh.

Doom guy hiding from monsters in the closets ? Are you mad ?

It is the best Half-Life clone, second only to the original and it is fine as it is, derivative but solid and fun shooter. I enjoyed it more than HL2, certainly way more adrenaline pumping at the time, because of all the gore, darkness and jumpscares.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Doom guy hiding from monsters in the closets ? Are you mad ?

Doomguy, no. Random scientist, yes.

It is the best Half-Life clone, second only to the original and it is fine as it is, derivative but solid and fun shooter. I enjoyed it more than HL2, certainly way more adrenaline pumping at the time, because of all the gore, darkness and jumpscares.

Hghgn. I mean, to each one its own, but Doom3 has In My Very Humble opinion such massive problems that were identified from the very start. Gunplay is weak (the arsenal is perfunctory as the Half Life 2 one, but everything feels weak and unrewarding. Enemy designs are great but squandered with monster closets and random spawns without rhyme or reason. Boss fights are a travesty that make NuDoom's bosses seem like a triumph of design. However, if you like the feel a lot, I can see how one can enjoy it. Well, I finished it and I don't regret it, even managed to soldier through the expansion.

To be honest again, tho, its engine "sons" make far better HL style shooters than Doom3, Quake IV is mediocre but it's solid Raven and Prey is legit fun and creative.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When pirated old games often came ripped without soundtrack to decrease file size so you had to improvise with music. For every old FPS I played I had a selected band I preferred, for Quake it was Iron Maiden.

Play both videos with Quake one muted, maybe its nostalgia but even many years later when I played the full version I still like Iron Maiden more.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

God, i miss the time when games were actually gud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom