Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I randomly jumped to the 20 min mark and they are talking about how they empathized glorykills even more. "You got this thing in Doom 2016 a little bit, but more so in Doom Eternal, where you feel like you are your own choreographer while you are playing".

I couldn't play Doom 2016 because i couldn't stand the QTE bullshit and it's now even more prevalent.

I guess by the time they make the third one it'll just be a big interactive movie, kinda like a 3D version of those old Dragon's Lair arcade games.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I randomly jumped to the 20 min mark and they are talking about how they empathized glorykills even more. "You got this thing in Doom 2016 a little bit, but more so in Doom Eternal, where you feel like you are your own choreographer while you are playing".

I couldn't play Doom 2016 because i couldn't stand the QTE bullshit and it's now even more prevalent.

I guess by the time they make the third one it'll just be a big interactive movie, kinda like a 3D version of those old Dragon's Lair arcade games.

What they meant it's not that glorykills are more prevalent mechanic, but rather that there are more different animations for glorykills.

Jezal_k23

I wonder how they have addressed the criticism of glory kills putting you in a vulnerable position. Even though enemies had a system where they couldn't attack you coming out of a glorykill, they did tend to put you in a more vulnerable position just from enabling enemies to surround you.

I don't think a one-button prompt when the enemy is about to die qualifies as a "QTE."
Especially because you can just keep shooting to kill them. And like Taviow mentioned, on nightmare you often didn't want to glorykill since it'd leave you with your dick in your hand and surrounded by demons. You could adjust perks to make it a bit more desirable (Taking the glorykill focused ones so you could enter a glorykill from far away, increasing the speed of the animation, etc) but even then it was often a risk. You'd even get health from killing demons by shooting them if you were low on HP anyway. Glorykills were mainly for cool points and potentially ensuring a kill since if you didn't keep shooting/gloryholing a demon after it got staggered it'd come after you again. But I've also got something like 50 hours of Doom 2016 played, too. :dance:

Yeah, past the first half of the first level glory kills were essentially never a good idea when on the highest difficulty. You either shot at things or, rarely, you used the chainsaw to get more ammo to shoot at things more.

I did try the max difficulty ironman setting a few times and got pretty far (immediately past the level where you get the BFG and fight hell knights). It's roughly 90% about knowing where stuff spawns, spamming a ton of explosive damage in that direction, and whenever anything is within 30 feet of you you spam the plasma stun attack as a panic button. The first fight when you actually have to use the basic shotgun attack in close range is by far the hardest single fight of the game.

I wonder how they have addressed the criticism of glory kills putting you in a vulnerable position. Even though enemies had a system where they couldn't attack you coming out of a glorykill, they did tend to put you in a more vulnerable position just from enabling enemies to surround you.

I don't think glorykills need to be good. They are fine now.

PrettyDeadman

They literally said that in order to kill big enemies you will have to shoot (with "skillshots") their weakspots first to weaken them then use glorykill to finish.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think a one-button prompt when the enemy is about to die qualifies as a "QTE."

It does because while that dumbfuck animation is playing you are invulnerable. It's literally mini cinematic in the middle of combat.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Ash you know I am right when I say DMC5 is the best in the series. :smug:
By the way how's the Unreal mod? You haven't made any updates in quite awhile.

They literally said that in order to kill big enemies you will have to shoot (with "skillshots") their weakspots first to weaken them then use glorykill to finish.

That just means that now glorykills have an additional requerement for tougher enemies, that is to perform those "skillshots". They still can be killed normally just by shooting them, something which you can see them do countless times in the gameplay footage.

And like Taviow mentioned, on nightmare you often didn't want to glorykill since it'd leave you with your dick in your hand and surrounded by demons

That's the point of the mechanic though. It's like the Taunt in action games. You do a stylish move near enemies that leave you wide open, but in return if you manage to pull off you get resources. I would however prefer if in the higher difficulties the move didn't made the player invicible.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It does because while that dumbfuck animation is playing you are invulnerable. It's literally mini cinematic in the middle of combat.

Bitch about it being "too cinematic" then, or taking control from the player, or whatever else. Just don't call it something it isn't. I recently played Tomb Raider 2013 which is filled with actual QTEs and I don't want to diminish the uniquely shitty thing that is QTEs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's still braking the flow of the gameplay to make you watch pointless fluff. Call it what you want, the point is that it ruins the combat for the sake of appeasing manchildren who think LARPing is actually doing.

Efe

Erudite
braking how? its not obligatory.
and what larping? he says burning them gives ammo and blood punch (normal glory kill?) gives health. dont do it if you dont need those.
like how you used chainsaw in previous game.

edit: wheres the bad spelling?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
and what larping?

Live-action roleplay. What he means here though is you're watching the game do something cool instead of doing it yourself, which I agree with and also hate. But yes, as you say, it's optional and I only ever did it when I really needed ammo. It's not a big deal at all IMO.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
braking how? its not obligatory.

Yes it is.

You CAN avoid doing them same as you can avoid picking up med kits in the original Doom if you wish but you are metaing yourself out of a core element of the game.

and what larping?

Glory kills are LARPing. You are watching some dumbfuck animation so you can "pretend" you are doing this knewl shit where as you are not actually "doing" anything, you are just watching some animation play while you sit on your ass waiting for it to finish so you can actually resume playing.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Glory kills are LARPing. You are watching some dumbfuck animation so you can "pretend" you are doing this knewl shit where as you are not actually "doing" anything, you are just watching some dumbfuck animation play while you sit on your ass waiting for it to finish so you can actually resume playing.

That's your biggest gripe against the mechanic, the fact that it is "larping"?
Even though it's purpose is a solid one that does make the gameplay more dynamic and fun.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You need to look at the definition of "dynamic" when the mechanic in question brakes your game flow by making you watch some stupid animation.

What glory kills do is the very opposite of making the gameplay more "dynamic". They literally brake the action so you can get access to your ammo pignata after the game literally stops in its tracks to play a small movie for you.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Do I agree that they shouldn't make the player invincible during the animation because it detracts from the maximum potential it could have. But the mechanic isn't without logic.

The idea behind the mechanic is every similiar to the Taunt on DMC and God Hand (2 excellent action games might I add). The action makes the player vulnerable for short amount of time but rewards it some resource. The amount gained depends on how dangerous the situation the player is in when he performs he animation. On DMC and God Hand case it's closer you are to an enemy and how many enemies you are surrounded by, on nuDoom's case it's on close you are to dying and how "strong" the enemy your killing is.

On higher difficulties, tough enemies like Hell Knights give you very little even if you are low on health. What this encourages is for the player to kill has much "strong" enemies as he can, the fastest he can. The main drawback is that demons surround you pretty easly while you are glorykilling them, meaning you can't mindlessly spam the melee to escape of every dire situation or get some quick health (on the higher difficulties at least).So the mechanic does fit with the agressive playstyle that the devs are trying to instill on the player. That's why I say the idea is solid.
Besides you get half of a glorykill's resources if you just kill them normally, so yes it is optional.

However if this mechanic didn't have the invicibilty time, it would achieve the very important aspect, more apparent on DMC and God Hand that makes those games more very appealing. It separates the truly skilled palyers from the rest of the herd, and you can spot the difference with look at their playstyles. Because the rest of the players look at it and think like you that this is a stupid mechanic since it has so many cons. As such those players never use the Taunt and by consequence never "play" the systems, enemies and weapons. And their gameplay style can be summarised as very safe and boring. While the skilled blast through the hardest scenarios all the while looking like they are just goofing around. And keep in mind that playing effectively while looking stylish is a very hard thing to do. And the use of the mechanic can be said to just overall just makes the game even more difficult to play. Which is very true for God Hand. Because in that game Taunting very quickly increases the game's Level, which is the meassure the game's difficulty. And no, the increase in difficulty in that game is not higher health bars and damage from the part of the enemies. It's more agressiveness, new attacks and fighting styles to break any pattern you might've have when dealing with those enemies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The more important thing here is they take 2 seconds and you don't have to do them that often. I agree they're stupid but it's like complaining about a tiny piece of burnt gristle on the end of a $100 steak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom