Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Same month as FF7 Remake , Watch dogs 3 , Mount n Blade and same day as Animal Crossing and Bloodlines 2 ( F ). Ooof.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah this a dumb move.
They pretty much had no competition in November, or the rest of the year for that matter, in terms of big releases (except Death Stranding). And the game would be near the Christmas season for added bonus.

JDR13

Arcane
Same month as FF7 Remake , Watch dogs 3 , Mount n Blade and same day as Animal Crossing and Bloodlines 2 ( F ). Ooof.

I don't see any of those games impacting Doom much if at all. The people buying games like Final Fantasy and Animal Crossing weren't buying Doom anyways.

Is there anyone on the planet who gives a fuck about Watch Dogs 3? I just found out that it exists from the reply in this thread. I doubt it's going to eat any of Doom's bacon.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They are excellent in comparison to any COD stuff. I'm just opposed to the idea that they are some kind of incredible level of complexity that gamers today couldn't possibly hope to understand.

There was an era around the Xbox 360's time when every genre, including FPS, was being dumbed down to the point of ridiculousness. I think many of us are still traumatized by that shit, but things are nowhere near that bad anymore.

Silly Germans

Is there any info how large the aerobics part is going to be ? Is saw some previews a while ago and did't
and it looked like they turned it into a jump'n run game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is there any info how large the aerobics part is going to be ? Is saw some previews a while ago and did't
and it looked like they turned it into a jump'n run game.

Because id can't make good level design anymore, they just mask everything behind glory kills and jumping around like a retard. And the idiot game journos salivate.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Hmpfh.

I'm probably one of the few here who liked nu-Doom for what it was, but this trailer has some worrying nu-Wolf influences, like caring about the plot. Nudoom had merely ambience and "kill the evil old lady" and that was good enough. The disaster that was NuWolf (where even the braindead journos started to be puzzled at hours of badly-written cutscenes) should have taught them something.

Let's hope in a misstep and that we don't get TEH EPIC PLOT.

I'm probably one of the few here who liked nu-Doom for what it was, but this trailer has some worrying nu-Wolf influences, like caring about the plot.
I genuinely love Doom 2016 and I'm concerned about that too. It feels like they shouldn't fuck it up because Doom 2016 walked a good line of making the characters and story/world take everything seriously except for the Doom Guy who didn't give a shit and just wanted to play videogames, but I heard that was a change in tone made late in development on Doom 2016. So even though that was the correct move I'm still paranoid they'll go flying up their own asses with Doom Eternal and vomit a bunch of lore that nobody gives half a shit about. Even the lore pickups in Doom 2016 had a fair amount of humor to them, especially the ones talking about the UAC.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut, even though the trailer's taking itself seriously I guess we have to remember that gameplay from E3 or whatever it was that had the "Calling the extra-dimensional visitors demons is hate speech, instead refer to them as mortally challenged" line which would sound like UAC humor and hopefully they just have the main characters playing it completely straight while the Doom Guy doesn't give a shit and the UAC's got humor. Which is pretty fine with me, I prefer my shooters not to take themselves completely seriously and since Doom Guy's mute that's fine and dandy.

Who is that evil lady ?
You know, the evil lady. She... Got gibbed at the start of one of the boss fights. I can't remember which one, I assume probably the spider mastermind. Fuck if I can remember her name, I just remember the little bit of classic Doom music that plays when you talk to her at the tower level after jumping across the chasm.

soulburner

Cipher
I was really tired when I watched this new trailer, so my senses might have been a little subdued, but I believe I heard the audio was much better than in Doom 2016, less compressed and the music didn't completely suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom