Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

soulburner

Cipher
I can't help but notice the people playing the game on all those videos released a few hours ago (at least the ones I clicked on) don't seem to have a lot of experience with the FPS genre. It's not as bad as the Polygon video in 2016, but still.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Normal speed is about as fast as Doom 2016, which is about as fast as the original Quake. I think it needs to be a tad faster, which is why I always used the GK speed rune in the last one which makes the game almost play like pinball.

Citizen

FPS games shouldn't have annoying movement and weapon inertia, most of them feel like playing underwater after smooth movement and aiming of classic games. 3+ second long fatalities for every single mook in a "fast" FPS is a fucking joke

soulburner

Cipher
Oh, damn, how I hate double jumping and this weird instant-acceleration-forward-allowing-to-go-further-than-normally-expected. I miss the gravity of Quake, where you could reach far away areas just by jumping at the right moment.
Seems like Eternal is more based around all this than the prequel.

I hope the modern id Software does not ever touch Quake and reimagine it in a similar way.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
In one of the videos I saw that the OG Doomguy armor is a pickup.

If it were up to me, I would make it so the armor from each Doom generation (OG, 64, Quake 3, Doom 3) gives specific bonuses and tradeoffs as long as you wear it. So the OG armor could be made for people who want the game to be faster and less reliant on GKs. So you are faster but GKs give twice as less resources, which in turn makes pickups more valuable. The other ones could have other unique bonuses.

Efe

Erudite
in one of videos the reviewer lasts 10 seconds in combat... then its all cuts and skips.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A video that focuses more on the technical aspects of the new engine:

Doom guy has books for anger management:

Also he doesn't play Quake 2

oq4VHKO.jpg

And a reminder that the nu-Doom games are far too hardcore for most casual audiences:

Curratum

It's true, though. The sanctum level in Doom 2016 was just poorly designed. It wasn't confusing because it was open, I've played more Doom maps than you can count and rarely get lost, but this level was just poorly made.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Whatever you think of the new games, it's clear they have an extremely powerful engine. I hope Bethesda uses it in more games. Would be cool if they lincenced it too but I'm not betting on it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The sanctum level in Doom 2016 ... confusing

:notsureifserious:

What, it was pretty straightforward.

I almost never got lost on any of 2016 maps. Besides since when is it a bad thing to get lost in a doom wad? That shit happened all the time when I first played the originals. It's means they're doing something rigth.

Curratum

The sanctum level in Doom 2016 ... confusing

:notsureifserious:

What, it was pretty straightforward.

I almost never got lost on any of 2016 maps. Besides since when is it a bad thing to get lost in a doom wad? That shit happened all the time when I first played the originals. It's means they're doing something rigth.

You do of course realize you posted a 15-minute speedrun of someone who has played the level multiple times and optimized it for speed and performance, right? Or are you that dense?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nah I just posted the video because I thought it was pretty cool. Shit I didn't know you could use the gauss rifle to propel yourself.
Anyway, my point still stands. The level is straightforward. I had no issues with it and neither did any one I know of that played D16.
The old titles are miles more difficult when it comes to navigating their levels. And that's a good thing.
So if people think nuDoom levels are maze like, they would shit they pants with the og titles.

Curratum

You'll notice users pointing their disdain for air dashes but refusing to tell you why they're bad.

Because it's a shortcut that's supposed to replace good level design - the entire "you make your own fun the way you want it!" mentality, as opposed to a solid, structured, controlled design. It's to shooters what "sandbox" is to RPGs.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You'll notice users pointing their disdain for air dashes but refusing to tell you why they're bad.

Because it's a shortcut that's supposed to replace good level design - the entire "you make your own fun the way you want it!" mentality, as opposed to a solid, structured, controlled design. It's to shooters what "sandbox" is to RPGs.
How do new movement abilities replace good level design? Given all the new mid-air platforming challenges that require you to use dashing, it doesn't seem like it's something they just tacked on willy-nilly.

Curratum

How do new movement abilities replace good level design? Given all the new mid-air platforming challenges that require you to use dashing, it doesn't seem like it's something they just tacked on willy-nilly.

Because I'm sure I will be able to break at least as many encounters and battles with it as I will find designed challenges that use it.

sullynathan

Arcane

I know you don't believe this tripe you just typed.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Because I'm sure I will be able to break at least as many encounters and battles with it as I will find designed challenges that use it.
The dashes don't move you that far and are on a cooldown, and the lead dev went on record saying how they added dashing in in the first year of Eternal's development and how it broke the game and made it boring, so they had to rebalance everything around the dashes to make it not so broken. Moreover, the dashes aren't really making my speedrunner senses tingle. They just move you a fixed distance instead of actually letting you maintain your increased momentum.

Jezal_k23

I know you don't believe this tripe you just typed.

Yeah I don't understand it either. Why does dash replace good level design? Does double jumping replace good level design? What about climbing ledges? A good movement system is somehow bad because it "replaces" good level design? That just makes no sense whatsoever. I'm completely blown away by just how incoherent that was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom