Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Deakul

Augur
Just typical codexians getting mad over complete non-issues.

Much like how everyone here seems to hate the incredible soundtrack just because it's too gut bustingly metal.

Curratum

I don't think I need to explain the subtleties of FPS level design to plebs but I expected someone with a Blood avatar to know better.

Jezal_k23

Well it seems obvious to me that you design your levels around your protagonist's movement abilities. More freedom of movement equals more verticality and the need for more dynamic levels that explore abilities such as climbing or dashing. It looks to me like they have done that, to an extent that will probably actually annoy a lot of people due to the extensive platforming sections and challenges that they have added to Eternal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I don't understand it either. Why does dash replace good level design? Does double jumping replace good level design? What about climbing ledges? A good movement system is somehow bad because it "replaces" good level design? That just makes no sense whatsoever. I'm completely blown away by just how incoherent that was.

It's because the original Dooms did not have it, therefore it is bad for nuDoom. That's how most of this thread has gone. People stuck in the past, which could be the RPG Codex battle cry, to be fair.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Muh story

10 seconds in and i can already tell the story is fucking shit.

Everything has to be bland and generic nowadays, no exceptions, not once, and yet we STILL have to be shoved this "cinematic" bullshit down our throat, even in a game which made it a point that the story didn't fucking matter and nobody wanted to hear it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Muh story

10 seconds in and i can already tell the story is fucking shit.

Everything has to be bland and generic nowadays, no exceptions, not once, and yet we STILL have to be shoved this "cinematic" bullshit down our throat, even in a game which made it a point that the story didn't fucking matter and nobody wanted to hear it.

I'm fucking stunned that id managed to learn nothing from DOOM 2016's success, from a storytelling point of view. They should have grasped that we want less retarded storylines (angels and devils talking to DOOMGUY? What is this, Skyrim?), mind-numbing & immersion-breaking third-person cutscenes, DOOMGUY's face reflected in his visor, this is screaming loudly to me that id have once again started smelling their own farts.

Deakul

Augur
That's kind of what just about everyone wanted.

I know I wanted it to involve angels somehow because it'd be as metal as fuck exactly the way that they're doing it.

The entire game is a god damned 80s metal album cover.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I know I wanted it to involve angels somehow because it'd be as metal as fuck exactly the way that they're doing it.

The original was, not this pile of shit.

Fucking Zoomer developers don't know shit about anything.

Deakul

Augur

Alright dude.

p1MkTQy.jpg

soulburner

Cipher
Just typical codexians getting mad over complete non-issues.

Much like how everyone here seems to hate the incredible soundtrack just because it's too gut bustingly metal.

I hate the soundtrack for being a victim of the loudness war. That for whatever reason, someone, somewhere decided metal music should be loud as fuck to even distort the medium it's stored on. The Doom soundtrack makes my ears feel like each sound is pumping my eardrum. It's not because of the characteristics of the music itself, it's because each and every sound begs for attention - the drums are not an additional instrument, they are fighting with the guitars and other electronic shit for being the number one.

When I play the soundtrack on my laptop speakers, I like the tracks themselves. When I start up my audiophile audio system all I hear is a total lack of dynamics associated with music, I hear distortion, because to make the music so loud you not only sacrifice the dynamics, you create clipping errors. Something any audio editing software will show you in red, just so you know this needs fixing. And no, industrial metal is not supposed to be causing clipping errors. You want distortion? Sure, you go ahead. But you don't fucking create a mix that your software is yelling at you to fucking fix it.

Then there's the thing of Doom 2016s audio itself which has the exact same problem, where an explosion is as loud as a broken light with sparks coming out of it. Where the ambience is hard to distinguish between an imp. I hope they fixed it even just a little bit in Eternal and I'm yet to hear one of the gameplay videos on something else than my Thinkpad speakers which sound way worse than a cheap mobile phone ;)

PS - one more thing to note. There are people who do not care about the loudness war at all. They seem to ignore it completely and not hear the issues even when they are told to look for them. That's fine. That also means artists should not fight the loudness war, because it has no benefits. Loud records don't sell better. Loud records sound softer on platforms like Spotify which use a ReplayGain-like solution to lower the volume of loud tracks so that they don't kill you after you just listened a properly mastered, softer song. FM radio stations use their own dynamics processors to level the volume of all songs, your loud track will not stand out. There is no reason for the loudness war at all.

PS2 - yes, I know this is a rant that is kind of out of place here, but I got triggered :D

JDR13

Arcane
I find the BGM too loud in most games to be honest. One of the first things I usually do is reduce it by around 50% depending on the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Alright dude.

p1MkTQy.jpg

Looks like the cover of a second rate metal band from the 2010s trying to emulate metal from the 80s. Dime a dozen of those lmao.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I hate the soundtrack for being a victim of the loudness war. That for whatever reason, someone, somewhere decided metal music should be loud as fuck to even distort the medium it's stored on. The Doom soundtrack makes my ears feel like each sound is pumping my eardrum.

Jesus Christ, are you guys actively trying to sound like Grandpa Simpson?

JDR13

Arcane
I'm guessing the image on the left is multiplayer options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom