Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Those aren't even graphics options you blundering buffoon, you joke, you god damned imbecile.

I haven't even clicked it, i just automatically assumed lmao.

Shiiiet.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After scouring YouTube for every possible Eternal gameplay, it really seems to be the 7/10 sequel to the 6/10 prequel like I predicted it to be. Some thoughts:

- Cutscenes are skippable this time around
- Weak Spot system lets you reduce the threat potential of enemies without outright killing them, which allows the game to throw more enemies at once at you without it being overwhelming, since you can weaken the enemies to keep the odds in your favor
- Pistol has been removed, good riddance
- Combat Shotgun is useful again, the useless Triple Shot has been replaced with a Full Auto mod for huge burst DPS at the expense of all your ammo, and the useless Explosive Shot can now fire three shots before having to reload on top of being more useful to trigger Weak Spots on enemies and making Cacos swallow them
- Rocket Launcher is now nowhere as OP by virtue of having a slower projectile speed and there being more enemies capable of dodging projectiles, so you actually need to lead that shit
- Plasma Rifle now makes enemies explode on death which is useful for CC'ing groups of lesser enemies, on top of being able to make the shields of Shieldguys explode as a kind of Weak Spot, meaning it's worth using now
- Plasma Rifle's overpowered Stun Bomb has been repurposed as an equipment item with a much longer cooldown, and is replaced with a microwave beam mod that can stunlock only a single enemy
- Super Shotgun doesn't seem to be anywhere as OP as it used to be, has a much shorter range and RoF, but has the grappling hook to make up for it
- Chaingun can now put up a shield that blocks all projectiles coming in from the front in order to make it actually worth using despite the movement speed penalty
- Basically some weapons have more specific counters against particular enemies to give you more of a reason to switch weapns
- Chainsaw ammo limit has a maximum of 3 pips and Chainsaw ammo is rarer overall where larger enemies require 3 pips to instakill, meaning you need to be more careful in using it, though it will slowly regenerate fuel up to one pip only to prevent you from being completely without ammo
- Shoulder-mounted grenades are now more useful since they falter enemies on hit and can trigger Weak Spots
- Mancubi's trigger range for their shockwave attack when you get close is now a lot larger and leaves lasting damaging acid on the floor, meaning they're more of an actual threat
- Revenants have their homing missiles back now, meaning they're no longer just Imps with jetpacks, though sadly it didn't seem like their homing missiles posed much of a threat in practice
- Cacodemons fire a burst of three projectiles instead of one to make them an actual threat at range
- Shieldguys are a lot more common, which is good since they were underutilized in nuDoom and good at making you reconsider the situation
- Mid-air dashing means you can be less reliant on ledge grabs to get around the level, and makes dodging from melee enemies like Hell Knights and Pinkies more consistent
- Arenas on the whole seem more constrained and less spacious so you can't easily climb around everywhere as much
- The whole upgrades and RPG shit is unfortunately still in, but at least it's been somewhat streamlined and you don't have to do obnoxious challenges like 'kill four enemies at once with the super shotgun fifty times' to get upgrades
- Instead of having to wait until mid-game to get the rune for Air Control, now any time you find a Rune Point you can pick one of nine Runes in any order
- The new snake-like Whiplash seems to be an interesting hard-to-hit enemy that slithers across the ground and tries to sneak behind you
- You also got those new enemies that can just plop a shield in your face and prevent you from doing a Glory Kill or using your Rocket Launcher without it blowing up in your face
- There are a fuckton of UI customization options to disable all the annoying shit on screen
- Falling into a bottomless pit doesn't insta-kill you and send you back to the nearest checkpoint, but does the Metroid Prime thing of teleporting back where you stood last at the cost of some health
- Blood Punch gives you an actual non-Glory Kill melee attack that's actually useful and rewards Glory Killing better
- Arenas have more interactive elements in the shape of traps you can trigger and other kinds of stuff in order to make them stand out from eachother more, I saw one arena where the floor was damaging and you could only be safe on small platforms
- less boring walking around inbetween arenas, at least now you have platforming to worry about

- Blood Fueled, Savagery and Air Control should still be core abilities however
- The flamethrower-enemies-to-get-armor-back system seems fucking stupid since the only different thing you do is press one button and being close to enemies before shooting them in order to get some armor, which given the fact that the flamethrower recharges via cooldowns essentially makes it a cooldown ability for what amounts to free armor
- The Ice Bomb is a panic button which does have a long cooldown to balance it out, but if I wanted to challenge myself I would never want to use it, so I hope there's some kind of more alternative or aggressive usage for it that isn't a pure panic button, like how instead of the panic button Rage Arts in Tekken 7 you can instead spend your Rage on Rage Drives, so could the Flamethrower and regular Grenade and Ice Bomb share the same resource
- The platforming at hand seems kinda boring
- I wish the platforming was more integrated with the full combat arenas
- I wish instead of waiting for equipment cooldowns before being able to use them again, you can only fill them up by dealing damage or doing Glory Kills
- Dashing into staggered enemies to tackle them to death for health should definitely be a thing as a safer and less rewarding, but faster alternative to Glory Kills
- Missions where you control other demons seems like a boring gimmick to pad out the game length by reusing content from the multiplayer mode
- UI is way too noisy and hard too read color-wise, the one they had in the original announcement was perfect enough, here it seems like everything is vying for your attention, even if you can customize it
- every ammo type pickup from chainsawing enemies doesn't need different colors each, I know when I chainsaw an enemy that I'll get ammo of each type, so showing me this with different colors is superfluous information and overloading my senses
- While some arenas have traps, they can only be used by you and serve no threat to you

But the biggest gripe for me so far is that the enemy design hasn't sufficiently changed the way it wanted to. Rather than aiming at restricting your powerful movement (that now comes with mid-air dashing and grappling hooks!), the majority of used enemies are the ones that just directly try to kill you. Or to use the developers' own 'battle' chess analogy: chess is won by cutting off all escape routes from the king and striking it; not just going directly for the king without boxing him in first. So I saw journalists mindlessly playing on UV probably just running circles in the arena and still getting by despite the increased enemy count. The heavies like Arachnotron and Mancubus are basically interchangeable when it comes to threat priority, as seems to be the case with most of the different types of lighter demons. Doom Eternal really has to pull out the stops with new "OH SHIT, NOT YOU" enemy types whose presence can actually radically change the flow of the battle. Pain Elementals and Archviles did basically that in Doom 2, so id has to really fuck this one up to not make it work. That, and more arena variety that isn't just a different assortiment of platforms, give me the environmental hazards!

Yosharian

Arcane
That's interesting because the Explosive Shotgun was one of my most used weapons in DOOM 2016. Also interesting that they nerfed the Chainsaw, it was a little easy to instakill tougher opponents but I kinda liked it. Not sure if I like the sound of less mobility in arenas, one of the things I liked a lot was being able to move around freely. Not surprised that the game hasn't evolved much when it comes to AI/encounter strategy. Probably they were too busy writing the 'story'.

After enough deaths during a boss fight, the player can activate Sentinel Armor (not available in Ultra Nightmare)

They made good on their word.

https://www.gamepur.com/guides/dkc-freeze-switch-wiiu-differences

Funky Mode is the biggest addition to the Nintendo Switch version of Tropical Freeze. The mode adds a new character, Funky Kong, who is invincible to nearly every obstacle in the game.

As Funky Kong, players are given an infinite roll attack and underwater corkscrews, the ability to double jump, and a surfboard that stops him from taking damage from hazardous spikes. The only way to die as Funky Kong is to either run out of hearts, or to fall into a bottomless death pit.

Funky Mode serves as a safe-mode for those looking to just enjoy the levels without worrying about the perils hidden around every turn. It is an ideal way for you to test out a level before playing it in the original game mode, or for speedrunners looking to practice a particular world for a while without fearing an early reset.

Deakul

Augur
Those aren't even graphics options you blundering buffoon, you joke, you god damned imbecile.

I haven't even clicked it, i just automatically assumed lmao.

Shiiiet.

There there, Doomy Turtle can't hurt you, it's just a game.

I understand that in your blood rage over the game that you just instinctively need to react in some negative manner whenever there's anything posted about it but come on now, have some dignity and maybe actually look at the stuff you're getting mad over so that you don't look like a petulant fucking child?

JDR13

Arcane
- Falling into a bottomless pit doesn't insta-kill you and send you back to the nearest checkpoint, but does the Metroid Prime thing of teleporting back where you stood last at the cost of some health

Not sure how I feel about that. It makes the game even more casual, but I guess it's kind of necessary if there's really going to be that much platforming this time.

- UI is way too noisy and hard too read color-wise, the one they had in the original announcement was perfect enough, here it seems like everything is vying for your attention, even if you can customize it

The UI looks terrible to me and is major decline imo. What's with all the super bright neon colors? I hope the customization options include a way to change the font to just normal white. It's bad enough that the ammo pickups glow like that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Can anybody explain this spider man shit to me? Please?

We can only guess. I would say that since one of the biggest complaints about D16 was the campaign becoming repetitive after the hell level, they probably thought that throwing in some platform challenges outside combat encounters would help to mitigate the problem. Then again considering the new mobility options, designing challenges around those expanded mechanics is entirely natural and to be expected...

This isn't even with it fully upgraded is it? It also gets the MIRV-esque secondary explosions.

I did ultra-nightmare and by far the two hardest fights of the game were the two before you unlock the explosive shot for the shotgun. There's arguably a very short part of the game where its underperforming when you have stronger weapons but before you get the faster weapon switching upgrade but once you do its very effective to switch to the shotgun, pop off a shot, and switch back.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Durandal

Maybe they could add an enemy type that restricts your movement abilities. It could disable your double jump and dash abilities as long as it's alive.

As for Arachnatrons and Mancubi, I think they were interchangable in the original game too. They are essentially long range suppressors. They even take roughly the same amount of hits.

Agree entirely on Blood Fueled, Savagery and Air Control. Back when 2016 came out I was bummed I couldn't mod the game to implement balance changes like these.

I agree it's hard to fuck up Pain Elementals and Archviles. If they fuck those up then all that fancy talk about gameplay means nothing.

I like the platforming BUT they made the RETARDED decision not to kill the player if they fail! It smells like they are not confident in their design. It reminds me of the arrow in Bioshock pointing where you need to go. Maybe there were people who compained about the platforming in 2016 but I found it very well executed. I understand if it were like in Half Life (oh god) but come on, have a bit of confidence in your design!

I don't have anything against the flamethrower giving ammo but because of the recharge mechanic it devalues armor pickups, which makes me hate it. In my opinion they should scrap this weird recharge mechanic and make the player search for these across the level. If the only valuable pickups besides upgrades and collectibles is the chainsaw fuel, what are they going to fill the secrets with in such a long game? I hope it's not just cool but useless collectibles. Every secret should have something that makes the game more interesting.

One of the reasons why I think they should tone down the glory kills is because it would make supply pickups more valuable, which would make them valuable enough to be put in secrets, which could provide interesting balance opportunities. Maybe there are a few very tough enemies nearby but if you are attentive, you can find a secret stash of rockets, to which they are more vulnerable than other types of ammo.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like the platforming BUT they made the RETARDED decision not to kill the player if they fail! It smells like they are not confident in their design. It reminds me of the arrow in Bioshock pointing where you need to go. Maybe there were people who compained about the platforming in 2016 but I found it very well executed. I understand if it were like in Half Life (oh god) but come on, have a bit of confidence in your design!

I don't have anything against the flamethrower giving ammo but because of the recharge mechanic it devalues armor pickups, which makes me hate it. In my opinion they should scrap this weird recharge mechanic and make the player search for these across the level. If the only valuable pickups besides upgrades and collectibles is the chainsaw fuel, what are they going to fill the secrets with in such a long game? I hope it's not just cool but useless collectibles. Every secret should have something that makes the game more interesting.

One of the reasons why I think they should tone down the glory kills is because it would make supply pickups more valuable, which would make them valuable enough to be put in secrets, which could provide interesting balance opportunities. Maybe there are a few very tough enemies nearby but if you are attentive, you can find a secret stash of rockets, to which they are more vulnerable than other types of ammo.

If anything I applaud failing a first-person platforming section not resulting in instant death. I don't see the logic in having a health bar which allows you to take more than one hit before dying, and then have missing a ledge because of the innate difficulty in judging your horizontal jumping distance in an FPS result in an instant kill. It's not like Quake where you could at least quicksave before a platforming section, in nuDoom you're going to be sent back to the previous checkpoint, and having to redo something as slow and tedious as climbing the Argent Tower is cruel. If levels were designed with enemies placed in such a way to knock you into a bottomless pit then I could live with it, but since the many platforming sections in Eternal look to be on the more simple and boring side I'd rather not have to spend more time than necessary redoing them. You do lose some health in Eternal when you fall into a bottomless pit and are teleported back up, so you can't rely on it indefinitely.

The thing with nuDoom and Eternal is that it's designed from the ground up for arena combat, which means it's shifted from long-term to short-term resource management. In olDoom, levels had a constant tension to them because every hit you took and every shot you fired mattered when the amount of medkits and ammo in a level were finite, and you wouldn't know your first time around where the items were or if there were any at all. Exploration and combat were tightly intertwined. In nu/Eternal, every enemy is a potential medkit/ammo pickup (to make extended fighting in arenas tenable and give the player a reason to move away from islands of items that would be their only means of regaining HP otherwise), so the dynamic of tense exploration can no longer apply.

Because item pick-ups are no longer worthy rewards for exploration when you have Glory Kills and such to regain resources, the only long-term rewards the game can offer is through upgrade points to permanently upgrade yourself. Because the combat in nu/Eternal can only get any tense in locked-off circular arenas (since you could just S+M1 your way through otherwise like in many olDoom levels), everything inbetween arenas is just downtime, one consequence being that the exploration segments were boring as hell as you would only every fight a small amount of enemies in them. I think the game should have removed exploration entirely in favor of non-stop back-to-back arenas with some occasional cutscene breaks, though I guess that's a minority opinion. In Eternal id's solution to this problem seems to be MOAR PLATFORMING. You could go back to old-school resource management and level design, but in the process you'd have to change everything what makes nuDoom unique to make it actually work. And since there's enough custom olDoom content to keep me occupied for a century, I'm in no hurry for a new Doom game that does what olDoom does but slightly different.

1402663568326.png

Citizen

First person platforming can be pretty cool actually. I loved platforming in Turok. But in needs "hearts"/"bonus lives" type of health system, not just a healthbar, to be working

It feels kinda out of place in a doom game tho

Curratum

First person platforming can be pretty cool actually. I loved platforming in Turok. But in needs "hearts"/"bonus lives" type of health system, not just a healthbar, to be working

But Doom Eternal already has bonus lives, didn't you know? :D

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I won't lie, Doom becoming a story driven action platformer is a rather surprising development.

And that's after adjusting for the fact that it's 2020.

Citizen

Platforming in a FPS is fake and gay.

If the platforming sections don't feel shoehorned in, but the core gameplay is actually based around them, the result can be great. Once again, see turok 1-2. They have very intense platforming puzzles that require you to git gud, and the shooting is seamlessly merged with them.

Still,

OctavianRomulus

Learned
The thing with nuDoom and Eternal is that it's designed from the ground up for arena combat, which means it's shifted from long-term to short-term resource management. In olDoom, levels had a constant tension to them because every hit you took and every shot you fired mattered when the amount of medkits and ammo in a level were finite, and you wouldn't know your first time around where the items were or if there were any at all. Exploration and combat were tightly intertwined. In nu/Eternal, every enemy is a potential medkit/ammo pickup (to make extended fighting in arenas tenable and give the player a reason to move away from islands of items that would be their only means of regaining HP otherwise), so the dynamic of tense exploration can no longer apply.

Because item pick-ups are no longer worthy rewards for exploration when you have Glory Kills and such to regain resources, the only long-term rewards the game can offer is through upgrade points to permanently upgrade yourself. Because the combat in nu/Eternal can only get any tense in locked-off circular arenas (since you could just S+M1 your way through otherwise like in many olDoom levels), everything inbetween arenas is just downtime, one consequence being that the exploration segments were boring as hell as you would only every fight a small amount of enemies in them. I think the game should have removed exploration entirely in favor of non-stop back-to-back arenas with some occasional cutscene breaks, though I guess that's a minority opinion. In Eternal id's solution to this problem seems to be MOAR PLATFORMING. You could go back to old-school resource management and level design, but in the process you'd have to change everything what makes nuDoom unique to make it actually work. And since there's enough custom olDoom content to keep me occupied for a century, I'm in no hurry for a new Doom game that does what olDoom does but slightly different.

Great point about long term versus short term. I'm not a diehard purist so I think it should be a combination, maybe 50/50. I like the old system a lot but in very long and difficult WADs it can be draining. Ideally, GKs should always give you a fighting chance and keep you alive until the next pickup.

I disagree about platforming not killing you. I've always thought that Doom and Mario had a strange connection due to the importance of movement and it seems the developers acknowledge this as well. Imagine what Mario would be like if you didn't die when you fell. To some extent I understand why they did it but at least they should take away a life from you. As for Argent Tower, I thought it was very well designed. The first time I went through it, I never died. I DID die in it in a couple of Ultra Nightmare playthroughs (which was very painful). If you are correct and the platforming ends up being more boring that it seems to me then you have a point.

I also disagree about areas between arenas in 2016. To me it was one of the highlights of the game was the meaningful exploration (especially early on). For me, finding interconnected areas like that yellow keycard secret in the second level or the entirety of Foundry is one of my favorite things to do in a Doom game. In all Doom games, I love the downtime to do some exploration. It is for this reason why I want GKs to be toned down a bit in favor of the old system: so they can make pickup secrets more meaningful. They mentioned they are taking steps to reimplement modding. If true, I will definitely make my own balance mod at some point. Aside from this, there were some really cool incidental combat moments that I really enjoyed.

In Foundry, there are a couple of Hell Knights that spawn quite far way from you after you do specific things. On one of my first Ultra Nightmare playthroughs I totally forgot about one of them so I go into the small area before the final arena, getting ready for it, when all of a sudden I hear hoofsteps far away. They get louder and louder and suddenly the big door behind me opens, revealing a Hell Knight. I didn't have full health, no chainsaw ammo left, and and no plasma ammo to stun it so it bitch slapped me and stomped on my face. It was honestly one of the scariest and Doomiest moments I've had in a game. It was so unexpected. It also worked in part because GKs are less powerful early on in the game and in Ultra Nightmare, each pickup makes the difference between life and death. I really hope there are more moments like this in Eternal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom