Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I won't lie, Doom becoming a story driven action platformer is a rather surprising development.

2016 had more story than people act like. It definitely had less story than the average FPS nowadays, and had that iconic moment where he kind of told the story to fuck off, but there's still quite a few cutscenes and a loooooot of dialog in it. Given the released video is touting the story, I don't think it means there will be more of it really. I'd guess they shot for the same average? We'll see.

The platforming/air stuff... I'll reserve judgment. I maintain that in these long franchises you have to shake things up, not just be the same games over and over again. If they manage to make Doom 2016 combat feel fluid in the air with some non-frustrating platforming, it could be really cool. Bioshock Infinite's best moments were when you used the rails and airtime for interesting combat moments.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Durandal

That is just completely fucking nuts. I have seen defrag before but not like this. Also, who makes these crazy maps?? They should just use the Quake 3 engine to make a new game out of this.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I won't lie, Doom becoming a story driven action platformer is a rather surprising development.

:notsureifserious:

Just because a game has a premise and cutscenes doesn't make it story driven.
All japanese action games have a plot, flavour texts and loads of cutscenes and they are far from being story driven.
A story driven game means that the plot is the central, most important aspect and all other elements of the game are bound to it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Durandal

That is just completely fucking nuts. I have seen defrag before but not like this. Also, who makes these crazy maps?? They should just use the Quake 3 engine to make a new game out of this.
The DeFRaG community is surprisingly sizable, and holds a World Cup contest each year where they make new maps people have one week to find the most optimized route for. There's already so many maps for DeFRaG of so many different styles that it's its own game already.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
All this tech talk makes me very sad Bethesda won't licence the engine. It will probably never be open source either. They clearly have very special tech on their hands and I want to get my grubby mitts on it!

JDR13

Arcane
I also disagree about areas between arenas in 2016. To me it was one of the highlights of the game was the meaningful exploration (especially early on). For me, finding interconnected areas like that yellow keycard secret in the second level or the entirety of Foundry is one of my favorite things to do in a Doom game. In all Doom games, I love the downtime to do some exploration. It is for this reason why I want GKs to be toned down a bit in favor of the old system: so they can make pickup secrets more meaningful. They mentioned they are taking steps to reimplement modding. If true, I will definitely make my own balance mod at some point. Aside from this, there were some really cool incidental combat moments that I really enjoyed.

The arena style placement of foes had the opposite effect for me in regards to exploration. I thought it felt weird that you could walk around some levels and not be attacked at all for significant periods of time. Exploration would have been more meaningful if the enemies had been distributed in a realistic way rather than mostly confined to pocket areas.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I also disagree about areas between arenas in 2016. To me it was one of the highlights of the game was the meaningful exploration (especially early on). For me, finding interconnected areas like that yellow keycard secret in the second level or the entirety of Foundry is one of my favorite things to do in a Doom game. In all Doom games, I love the downtime to do some exploration. It is for this reason why I want GKs to be toned down a bit in favor of the old system: so they can make pickup secrets more meaningful. They mentioned they are taking steps to reimplement modding. If true, I will definitely make my own balance mod at some point. Aside from this, there were some really cool incidental combat moments that I really enjoyed.

The arena style placement of foes had the opposite effect for me in regards to exploration. I thought it felt weird that you could walk around some levels and not be attacked at all for significant periods of time. Exploration would have been more meaningful if the enemies had been distributed in a realistic way rather than mostly confined to pocket areas.

This might be rather subjective but I kind of like this kind of design and this is usually how I design some of my own maps, and I started doing that before Doom 2016 even came out. I like having quiet, tense moments full of exploration and interconnected areas and a few monsters here and there, punctuated by intense fights. I realize that this might not be the default Doom experience but I like it.

It's not like the fights between arenas were not there at all. A lot of them were quite good, like those two hell knights I mentioned. Level 4 has a few great ones too. But for the most part I do agree that they were rather lackluster. They have acknowledged this and whether they succeed or not remains to be seen.

Jezal_k23

In Foundry, there are a couple of Hell Knights that spawn quite far way from you after you do specific things.

God that was such a beautiful dick move. I stumbled upon an extra unaccounted for hell knight myself in that level in my recent nightmare playthrough and I very nearly died as a result. I wish they did this kind of thing more frequently.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
In Foundry, there are a couple of Hell Knights that spawn quite far way from you after you do specific things.

God that was such a beautiful dick move. I stumbled upon an extra unaccounted for hell knight myself in that level in my recent nightmare playthrough and I very nearly died as a result. I wish they did this kind of thing more frequently.

You could make a really great horror game with this kind of AI. These fuckers will run after you across the whole map if you try to run away. When I played RE2 Remake the Tyrant instantly reminded me of this little event.

Silly Germans

I dislike dashes, they make combat to easy. Just hit the dash button one sec before you are hit and you'll
be fine. Coupled with slow projectiles it takes away any challenge. Shadow Warrior 2 and Rage 2 had the
same problem. They are way to easy even on the hardest difficulty. I know that the mobility feels good in
the beginning but after a while its just dull if you enter every battle with full health and leave every battle
with full health. Which is a shame since the shooting gameplay is otherwise probably going to be fine.

Jezal_k23

This has been addressed in the podcast:

I'm not guaranteeing that these problems will not arise at all, but the problems introduced by dash and meathook have been mentioned, so they're aware of this possibility, and Hugo Martin says they were forced to rebalance the game to account for Doomguy having these abilities now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If the platforming sections don't feel shoehorned in, but the core gameplay is actually based around them, the result can be great.

Right.

It's not a question of platforming itself, it's that way it is implemented here seems to provide no actual gameplay challenge, it's just for show, like the glory kills.

JDR13

Arcane

They did that quite a bit in Doom 1&2. I remember how I'd cross a threshold and hear that teleportation sound in the distance and instantly start wondering what and where the ambush was.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
A gameplay video made by someone who doesn't actually suck, using a controller no less:

Fucking IGN lmao.

I'll concede this does look an improvement from Doom 2016 but it's basically the same game. No level design for us boomers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's not about the mid-game jumps it's about navigating the level by jumping around. I guess this is what they meant when they said they wanted to expand the level design. Instead of going to arenas after arenas by navigating through boring corridors now you get to navigate through boring hopping sections. I suppose it adds variety but is still inane and useless. Make proper level design and you wouldn't need to bother with those gimmicks. Or alternately, make actual platforming sections. Hey, at least there's gameplay involved there.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
A gameplay video made by someone who doesn't actually suck, using a controller no less:

Fucking IGN lmao.

I'll concede this does look an improvement from Doom 2016 but it's basically the same game. No level design for us boomers.

That's cool and all, but is it turn based?

Curratum

Again, the level design in those videos is very unappealing. Again, there are no levels, there are medium-sized arenas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom