Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - coming November 22nd

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Looks alright, bar the annoying soundtrack.

I am slightly puzzled at the movement and platforming though, it looks like a weirdo version of Demonsteele more than classical Doom. NuDoom was already more Brutal Doom than classical Doom in any case, but first-person platforming was never a priority and it's never good to start with.

Compare to every other shooter around bar the "cutesy art" style Doom 2016 is fairly colourful. Having a too bright colour palette could be bad, particularly considering what comes out of contemporary games with a too.... "colourful" art style. The balance of Doom 2016 wasn't perfect, but like the entire game it was good enough.

Doom3 design-wise was a complete at utter disaster. It wanted to be Half-Life and it failed utterly at being both a Half-Life clone and a Doom clone. It wasn't even creepy due to botched mechanics.

Athmosphere and graphical design were top-notch, but that's pretty much it. It Doom 3 was a survival horror, it would have been far better.

• Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Niklasgunner Educated

Niklasgunner
    If its not my subgenre of melodic virgin metal its not for me

^ Top  
  3. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    This pic is based on an early version. The final game has more colors.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fake news. Pics of doom 1.-2 you posted only contain like 4-5 colors: red, brownish-gray, yellow and green, similarly to nudoom.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Unreal Learned

Unreal
    Most scenes in the original Doom look varied and distinct. Everyone complains about how brown Quake is, but even there that is the environment's actual colouring. When you put excessive colour-correction over everything, it's like you're wearing sunglasses everywhere or something. It looks so fake and stupid.

5 real colours > 5 piss colours

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    November 22nd:

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Looking forward to it, though the heavier emphasis on platforming's odd. And I don't really give a shit about the multiplayer but I suppose it's slightly more interesting than the multiplayer in Doom 2016, so there's that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    The idea of going to heaven sounds cool. Hopefully the final boss will be Jesus.

• incline incline x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    I kind of have a feeling there's more Quake 1 in Doom Eternal than there ever was Doom in Quake.
    The gameplay footage still shows arena type of gameplay, so I'm kind of unimpressed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Did they draw that parallel somewhere? Genuinely asking because you're right if you're joking, it did seem like that was the vibe/metaphor/whatever. Would be amusing if they retconned the demons to be aliens.

^ Top  
  11. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    Demons are aliens...in general. Just saying. Not physical flesh and blood extraterrestrials though.

Also, that splash image there? Looks like shit. Doom Slayer jump kicking like Double Dragon/10

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...legacy-but-is-maybe-just-a-touch-too-familiar

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The LEGACY of nuDOOM.

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-gameplay-video/

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    so fucking stupid

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Looks like the best Doom game ever.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I'm still asking what the fuck the people rating three months old my post think, because it's apparent that:

+ They added a shitton of platforming mechanics that do not belong;

+ Going towards a Borderlands color palette is a travesty;

+ Doom3 was bad.

What the fuck there is to disagree with? I understand that braindead drones see someone not shitting on Doom2016 a travesty, but come fucking on.

• Old Old x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Some people on here will never admit anything modern is good, unless it's specifically designed to look and feel old.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Doom 2016 has problems. Soundtrack and sound design are bad (the sound track is messy and confusing, the weapons sound wimpy and the enemy fail to give you spatial awareness) and it feels like an arena shooter designed around Brutal Doom. The graphic design is muddy at times, but at least it's not a costant harassment of the senses Blizzard-style.

But seriously, compared to the botched Doom3 (half baked Half Life clone) or to NuWolfestein? It was at least adequate. Again, feels like a AAA Brootal Doom, and that's better that what we could expect. Should we have gotten a heart-rending 3 hours gameplay-9 hours cutscene where Doomguy explores the tragedy of religion, bestiality and daddy issues?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Here's a cup of bleach and a cup of battery acid. Which would you rather drink?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    While I did have the urge to replay Doom 3, I do not feel even a tiny bit like returning to Doom 2016. I like the graphics, the technology is pretty nice, it's very well optimized (one of the few games that have proper Vulkan support), but the game itself is... bad.

The platforming elements on Doom Eternal are a massive decline for me. I even hate things like double jumping and other shit associated with having jet engines in the armor or shoes :P I'm once more afraid that if id Software decides to revisit Quake 1 and develop a remake, they will rape my memories of playing it day and night in 1997.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    Doom III was more akin to the originals in tone. The new ones are retarded Brutal Doom ripoffs. They even stole the mantling from the newer variants of Brutal Doom. Disgusting fucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I felt Doom 2016 was okay despite the flaws. Just that it does not feel like Doom. I'm interested in new movement options to be honest, since I like 3D platforming.

But still, I'd appreciate this reboot series more if it was named something like The Demon Slayer, not Doom.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    Technically the old games were named "Doom", but the new games are "DOOM", like it's screaming at your face :M:M:M

• Funny Funny x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)