Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - coming November 22nd

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    In alphabetical order:

Amid Evil
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
    Dusk
    Overload
    Stalker CoP

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    For one it felt scary instead of retarded. I won't go in depth more than that since I lack time. Read any one of a thousand comments that said Doom 3 is better than Doom 4.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yep, good lists. I don't see how you can like these and not like Doom 2016 though, but whatevs.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Who the fuck was scared by doom 1?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Uh, Doom 1 and 2 had similiar tone because they were 'scary'? Roight, when I was kid I might've been spooked once or twice by the sudden enemies coming from the trapdoors but that's about the extent of the horror it had. And I already addressed this in my post.

But I reckon we can continue with tonal similiraties, like how Doom III tosses 3-5 enemies at you at once in most hectic situations, totally tonally correct with the fast paced gameplay of original Dooms. Just as is the marine in Doom III running at a pace that makes my grandfather blush from emphatetic shame. Jesus fucking Christ.

^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The first half of the original Doom shareware episode had a more slow-paced and "scary" feel like Doom 3, and those levels are probably what most people played. I don't know if that was a factor in their decisions with Doom 3 or not.

^ Top  
  8. fork Erudite

fork
    Yes.

I'd still say Doom 3 was a bad Doom game, but it was a good horror game that had an identity. NuDoom is just an even shittier Brutal Doom. Retarded arena shooter with retarded glory kills, shitty soundtrack, monotonous level design and layout, unskippable cutscenes etc. It's utter shite and this new one looks even worse.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Parsifarka Prophet

Parsifarka
    Serious Sam 3 BFE

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Not sure how anyone could mention Metro 2033 and not mention Metro Exodus. It was a huge improvement imo and easily the best shooter I've played in the last few years.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    Christ indeed. You are a moron like most of the young faggots that have rolled through here the past few years. Enjoy your decline.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    i haven't played it yet. You know, epic store.

^ Top  
  13. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    It's worth it. Trust me.

The launcher isn't that bad btw

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Nice try, Tim Sweeney.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Your loss. The game is worth it, but whatever...

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    You can try Metro for $1 on Xbox Game Pass if you're brave enough to install some more spyware.

• Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    These guys are obviously much too cool for that.

^ Top  
  18. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Doom3 was a bad game overall, its only saving grace was a phenomenal art design. Even sound was mediocre. As a shooter, it's very very bad, with cramped levels, uncreative fights and shitty weaponry. They should have made a survival horror instead, Doom3 would have made a great Alien Isolation-like ten years earlier.

And no, it's not because Doom1 didn't throw you dozens of foes at once it means it was shitty as Doom3. Doom3 was rightfully savaged by the "old guard" when it was out because it was trying to ape Half Life so hard it's not even funny: cutscene focus and "industrial" level design. Doom3 is a bad Half Life clone, up to the point of aping the Gravity Gun in the expansion. Every enemy in Doom3 is beautifully designed and utterly wasted: from the endless shitty imp ambushes, from the Archviles, to the Mancubus boss fight to the real boss fights that are a complete travesty.

It's very pretty to look at, though. If it was an horror game it would have been good, but it's too action-y for that and they even changed it in the Steam version to give you more ammo&guns to lessen the tension. Shitty design all around.

NuDoom is Brutal Doom for the masses, yes. But it gets tiresome to repeat it ad nauseam to the sheep that bleat NEW BAD OLD GOOD NEW BAD OLD GOOD. Go replay Doom3 and enjoy the top-tier (lack of) design, then, and report. There was a reason everyone with a taste in 2004 shat on it, after all.

Quake IV is a better game than Doom3. Prey for sure. Better as a horror game, even.

^ Top  
  19. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    How Doom Eternal wants to improve on perfection.

:nocountryforshitposters:

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. hpstg Learned

hpstg
    So, young faggots are the ones believing that Doom III was a bad Doom game. Were you even sperm in your dad's balls when the originals were out?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    To this day, I still remember vividly the lamentation of the boring monster closet in the gaming IRC channel I used to frequent, so yes, and you're in the minority here. Doom 3 would not have stood anywhere near the light of the sun were it not for the fact that it was made with an highly innovative engine, that, to this day, hasn't been surpassed in how dynamic the lighting truly feels. As a tech demo it was impressive as hell when it was released, although these days people might not really get what's special about it because there are prettier (but not necessarily as dynamic looking) games.
    Doom 3's guns sound like utter garbage. They feel like garbage. The encounter design consists of spawning something behind you literally every 3 seconds.
    It's shit and you're hipster tier poster for bringing this.

It came out at the same era as Half Life 2, another somewhat mediocre but still definitely more entertaining FPS than it, and of the two Doom 3 was quietly shoved into a corner and forgotten until nuDoom released and reminded people that the franchise was a thing.

btw the monster closet has a fucking doom wiki page
    https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_closet
    It's hilarious

And id reacting to the bad reaction to doom 3 :
    https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.131315-id-Promise-No-Monster-Closets-In-Rage

And you know what? as soulless as Rage is, it's a better shooter than doom 3 by far.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    I liked Doom 3 ‘cause it was scary, which fell in line with the tone of the Doom I grew up with.

I wouldn’t say Doom 2016 was bad, but I don’t see how spawning arenas full of enemies every two minutes and jumping around like a retard collecting power ups is any closer in tone to the originals.

^ Top  
  23. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    They are both bad. It isn't a game where one has to be good and the other bad.

^ Top  
  24. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    To be alive and live in a thread where there are delusional people defending Doom III. I've seen everything.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    But Doom 3 is good!

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)