Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Ancient Aliens is better than Doom Eternal.

iu

iu

iu

iu

Ancient Aliens is on my list for wads to beat, i've played AA before, but had my ass hard kicked, this wad is hard as hell !

i currently playing through Hell Revealed 1(another hardcore Wad).

So i tried to kill a cacodemon by unloading 60 rounds from the assault rifle and i couldn't take it down. Are they seriously expecting you to kill every single one of them by dropping a bomb in their mouth? Like, for the whole game?

Got a plasma rifle i'm going to try it on the next caco i see.

Default heavy rifle attack is pretty much useless shit, As soon as I got micro missiles upgraded to full I never used it again. That kills shit way faster. Super shotgun, rocket launcher, ballista takes cacos out pretty fast. Since the middle of the game I only rarely bother dropping a sticky bomb in their mouth. And not frag grenade because I forgot about that shit as soon as I got the ice bomb.

Maybe if they didn't occupy all the keys around the wasd with retarded shit we could have done what everybody has done in every online shooter ever: rebind that shit.

Also they force every weapon to be used due to low ammo and specific enemy weaknesses, so you can't just rebind dumb weapons you don't like to the end.

Well, not every weapon because plenty of them share ammo types - two shotguns, heavy cannon and chaingun, plasma rifle and ballista and then BFG with unmaykr (hurr durr). As for enemy weaknesses it's mostly just plasma rifle for shields and it's a pretty damn good weapon in general with Heat Blast. And I did rebind them to be a bit more similar to classic Doom layout: 1 - Combat Shotgun, 2 - Super Shotgun, 3 - Heavy Cannon, 4 - Chaingun, 5 - Rocket Launcher, 6 - Plasma Rifle, 7 - Ballista, 8 - BFG. This way also all weapons that share ammo are next to each other.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Micro missile launcher was my favorite shit in Doom 2016, so I was happy that Eternal allowed me to fully upgrade it before finishing mission 3.

Ancient Aliens is on my list for wads to beat, i've played AA before, but had my ass hard kicked, this wad is hard as hell !

By the way Maps of Chaos is a pretty amusing way to replay Doom1/2, if you already played them shitload of times. It expands the levels with more enemies, rooms and secrets. Played through them with Brutal Doom not long ago. Still have fuckload of wads to go through myself, will go back to it once I'm done with this shit.

Sjukob

Arcane
Ancient Aliens is better than Doom Eternal.
As far as I'm concerned, Ancient Aliens might be the best (or at least one of) megawad ever made.

gzdoom-2019-11-22-20-09-51-588.png

gzdoom-2019-11-22-21-41-46-096.png

gzdoom-2019-11-23-00-35-11-557.png

gzdoom-2019-11-23-13-45-18-249.png

Ancient Aliens is probably not even the middle line, when it comes to the difficulty of user made content for Doom. It tries to bite at the beginning, but the difficulty drops significantly after the first episode. You are likely to struggle more with Hell Revealed, unlike Ancient Aliens it's pretty easy at the start but gets much harder as you progress.

Fuck Marauders so god damned much. What a shitty design. Double barreled shotgun -> switch to ballista then back works (make sure to use your power punch if you got it), but there's no good way at all to handle these when they start showing up with help. It's like being asked to simultaneously play DMC while the rest of the game is going on.[/spoiler]

Yes they are easily the most annoying shit in the game and I groan every time one appears in the middle of a battle. Not enough that they make them hard to hit, they had to give them a fucking summon too. If I could at least use Crucible on this piece of shit, but nope.

- BOTH GRENADES ARE ON SEPARATE COOLDOWNS!!! Also id is fucking retarded, why is there a "use grenade" button and a "switch grenade" button when there could just be a use frag and use ice grenade button? Anyway rebind these to something you can quicky go 1 2 1 on in order to throw both and annihilate groups of shit. I put them on my 4th and 5th mouse buttons.

I just don't use frag grenade at all. There's already enough shit to juggle without switching between grenades. I like to freeze a group of enemies, then flame belch them and proceed hitting them with aoe attacks to make it rain health and armor. Also it's easier to remember to use both those things that way.

Last edited:

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Fucking Khan Maykr fight. :argh::argh::argh: This annoying damaging floors throwing cunt. Stupid gimmick boss fsdjkfdsjlkfsdlkfsdkasljkljk
Almost makes me wanna turn on that "Sentinel Armor" crap I've disabled before starting the game.

A few tips for the bosses and Marauder.

Use the Rocket Launcher with the lock on mod with the mastery unlocked so you can launch 6 rockets at once.. Get the slow down rune and headshot the drones for ammo and health. She will go down like a chump.

Also, if you are having trouble with the Marauder, quickswitch between SSG and Ballista. After you shoot a gun once, you have a window for another shot. He will also almost always flash green after throwing his axe.

The IOS is very vulnerable to Sticky Bombs for some reason.

Also, if you are having trouble with the Marauder, quickswitch between SSG and Ballista. After you shoot a gun once, you have a window for another shot. He will also almost always flash green after throwing his axe.

It's not Marrauder by himself that's the problem, it's him being among a group of other enemies that will rape me as soon as I give few seconds of attention to him. So I have to keep running around the arena taking out other enemies first and hoping I don't get hit by his axe attack that I didn't see coming. It's just annoying that I have to deal with some stupid shit like that at all and when I get annoyed I make more mistakes which makes me even more annoyed. Him alone I can take just fine, just launching sticky bombs at his feet does the job.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

It's not Marrauder by himself that's the problem, it's him being among a group of other enemies that will rape me as soon as I give few seconds of attention to him. So I have to keep running around the arena taking out other enemies first and hoping I don't get hit by his axe attack that I didn't see coming. It's just annoying that I have to deal with some stupid shit like that at all and when I get annoyed I make more mistakes which makes me even more annoyed. Him alone I can take just fine, just launching sticky bombs at his feet does the job.

Learn self control. Jesus Christ, it's like you are all petulant children!

Ancient Aliens is probably not even the middle line, when it comes to the difficulty of user made content for Doom. It tries to bite at the beginning, but the difficulty drops significantly after the first episode. You are likely to struggle more with Hell Revealed, unlike Ancient Aliens it's pretty easy at the start but gets much harder as you progress.

Ok, i can definitely see Hell Revealed being hard as fuck ! i mean, it was a cakewalk until map 13, on map 13 when i pick up the blue key the game locks me in a cage and spawn multiple cacodemons,barons,imps and chaingunners outside of the cage around me, and i'm supposed to dodge all the bullshit they throw at me.The first difficulty spike, i died a lot times, but eventually i managed to beat this part but i had to use all my Plasma ammo.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I got seven lives nao lmao. Suck it down, figgits, i ain't dying to those bitch ass demons.

Picked up the laser beam for the plasma rifle, but it's complete shit. Maybe i should have gotten the blast thing instead. Fuck.

Sticky bomb is still the best thing evar, so much so i actually upgraded it. I also figured you can flame zombies for armor. I thought the bigger the enemy, the bigger the load but it turns out it doesn't really matter so you can refill armor with the left over zombies after the fight.

Levels seem to be bigger than the original, but the linearity is kinda of hilarious. There's also that thing now that allows to teleport back to earlier sections of the level, i guess you don't have to worry getting locked out if you missed secrets and shit like that, but unlike the original it's kinda hard to miss secrets since the level design is so linear it's almost impossible not to see them.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Picked up the laser beam for the plasma rifle, but it's complete shit.

I thought so at first but it's actually handy when you get the gist of it.
Enemies caught in the beam (doesn't even have to be the targeted enemy, they just need to be in contact with the beam), are immediately paralised; it kills any enemy (though the bigger they are the longer it takes); and lastly it makes the enemy explodes upon dying, and the bigger enemies have a more intense blast radius.

Finally finished it. Glad I played on UV, not sure if I would have the patience for Nightmare. Last few levels were fucking relentless. Overall I'd rate it about 6/10. Pretty fun when it isn't annoying me with stupid shit like platforming, purple floors, Marrauders or "do this thing x amount of times to make your weapon mod not suck" masteries. Though the last one was alleviated a bit by Mastery Tokens i started finding in later stages of the game, which allow bypassing mastery challenges.
Shotgun ammo limit was pretty annoying too, I guess it's to balance how good the Super Shotgun with flaming hook is. Makes it really easy to regenerate armor.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I got seven lives nao lmao. Suck it down, figgits, i ain't dying to those bitch ass demons.

Levels seem to be bigger than the original, but the linearity is kinda of hilarious. There's also that thing now that allows to teleport back to earlier sections of the level, i guess you don't have to worry getting locked out if you missed secrets and shit like that, but unlike the original it's kinda hard to miss secrets since the level design is so linear it's almost impossible not to see them.

About 20% of them are quite clever but they are the exception.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

About 20% of them are quite clever but they are the exception.

In Doom 2016, the issue was that often times the solution to the secrets lied further ahead but most of the time going forward meant you were going to get locked out of the previous area so there was always a risk. If levels are always so linear in Eternal i would think that's going to be much less of a problem, as the solution to the secret will likely always be around the spot where the secret is. Not that it matters if you are allowed to teleport back to previous sections of the level though.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
You can say whatever you want about the game but the art in the Hell level is simply astonishing. I don't think I've seen the art of a classic game with semi-vague graphics reimagined so faithfully. It is just non stop carnage and insanity. A place of pure evil. The length was adequate but they could have made it longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom