Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, not every weapon because plenty of them share ammo types - two shotguns, heavy cannon and chaingun, plasma rifle and ballista and then BFG with unmaykr (hurr durr). As for enemy weaknesses it's mostly just plasma rifle for shields and it's a pretty damn good weapon in general with Heat Blast. And I did rebind them to be a bit more similar to classic Doom layout: 1 - Combat Shotgun, 2 - Super Shotgun, 3 - Heavy Cannon, 4 - Chaingun, 5 - Rocket Launcher, 6 - Plasma Rifle, 7 - Ballista, 8 - BFG. This way also all weapons that share ammo are next to each other.

The only one I don't use routinely is the ballista. I think I might have left 'C' available though, so maybe I'll put the BFG on that, put the ballista on 7 and make the rest more manageable. If it weren't for Marauders and Pinkies I'd probably rarely use the double-barrel.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You can say whatever you want about the game but the art in the Hell level is simply astonishing. I don't think I've seen the art of a classic game with semi-vague graphics reimagined so faithfully. It is just non stop carnage and insanity. A place of pure evil. The length was adequate but they could have made it longer.

looks like they ripped textures from quake champions and changed the lighting

looks stupid

why hell need to look like some esport match

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I got seven lives nao lmao. Suck it down, figgits, i ain't dying to those bitch ass demons.

Levels seem to be bigger than the original, but the linearity is kinda of hilarious. There's also that thing now that allows to teleport back to earlier sections of the level, i guess you don't have to worry getting locked out if you missed secrets and shit like that, but unlike the original it's kinda hard to miss secrets since the level design is so linear it's almost impossible not to see them.

About 20% of them are quite clever but they are the exception.

In Doom 2016, the issue was that often times the solution to the secrets lied further ahead but most of the time going forward meant you were going to get locked out of the previous area so there was always a risk. If levels are always so linear in Eternal i would think that's going to be much less of a problem, as the solution to the secret will likely always be around the spot where the secret is. Not that it matters if you are allowed to teleport back to previous sections of the level though.

That was true for the second half of the game, which this game sadly seems to be based on, except for perhaps Super Gorenest, which is really just a cleverly disguised linear level. The first half had interconnected levels and even a secret requiring a keycard that led to another secret that formed a nice loop to the main objective. The levels were also "complete", meaning you could backtrack to any area if you wanted to.

There is nothing inherently wrong with linearity as they can serve as palate cleansers following huge, sprawling maps. Ion Maiden has he best exploration in any recent FPS but the secret hunting got overwhelming at times and I felt guilty for not trying harder to find missing stuff. I think some of the levels could have benifited from linearity actually.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
In Doom 2016, the issue was that often times the solution to the secrets lied further ahead but most of the time going forward meant you were going to get locked out of the previous area so there was always a risk. If levels are always so linear in Eternal i would think that's going to be much less of a problem, as the solution to the secret will likely always be around the spot where the secret is. Not that it matters if you are allowed to teleport back to previous sections of the level though.

images

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you guys don't think stuff like Dishonored 2, Doom 2016, Prey and Wolfenstein: The New Order are better than 90% of other AAA games released in the last 5 years then I don't know what to tell ya. You have way different priorities than I do. Hell even this, Rage 2 and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus are better than the shit EA, Ubisoft and Activision are pumping out for singleplayer.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If you guys don't think stuff like Dishonored 2, Doom 2016, Prey and Wolfenstein: The New Order are better than 90% of other AAA games released in the last 5 years then I don't know what to tell ya. You have way different priorities than I do. Hell even this, Rage 2 and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus are better than the shit EA, Ubisoft and Activision are pumping out for singleplayer.

Madden 2020
Madden 2019
Madden 2018
Madden 2017
and
Madden 2016 would like to know your location

JDR13

Arcane

It's sad that games like Dishonored 2 and Prey would even need to be defended here. It just shows a large portion of the Codex is stuck in the past. Either that, or they're raging edgelords who shit on everthing for the sake of shitting.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You are all guilty of funding Bethesda by purchasing this turd.

Oh no, one of the very few AAA publishers still releasing singleplayer games of any quality. What a nightmare.

I tolerated your retardation for too long since you had a New Vegas avatar. I thought there might be a real Fallout fan deep down inside. But sadly you are just a Bethesdafag. Pray tell what games has Bethesda published that are quality? You fucking dumbass. Please go lick every guard rail you can find right now. You might as well put me on ignore because I plan on harassing you until you die.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I tolerated your retardation for too long since you had a New Vegas avatar. I thought there might be a real Fallout fan deep down inside. But sadly you are just a Bethesdafag. Pray tell what games has Bethesda published that are quality? You fucking dumbass. Please go lick every guard rail you can find right now. You might as well put me on ignore because I plan on harassing you until you die.

Dishonored trilogy is in my top ten series, for one thing. I listed other games above. Your post is so fucking try-hard though I doubt I'm supposed to take it seriously? I hope not.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I notice you couldn't bring up a single game to mount a defense since you know you are full of shit.

Pray tell what games has Bethesda published that are quality?

Daggerfall
Morrowind
Call of Cthulhu: DCotE (not exactely good but charming)
New Vegas
Dishonored
Prey
Doom Eternal :troll:

The last three you can shove up your pee hole. The top three is a totally different Bethesda, so good job for all the dead guys that no longer work there that put in all the work making Bethesda good until it was made shit. It's like saying Blizzard makes good games. Then bringing up Diablo 2.

Giving credit to Bethesda for Obsidian's work is the only win you get.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The Dishonored fanbase that tried to convince people they were worthy successors to games like Thief/Thief 2 have forever tainted those games for me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
And I conceded that game was published by them and good even though they really just fucked over Obsidian over a single Metacritic point. I said he was right about that one and wrong on the rest. Fucking moron. You like the new shitty Deus Ex don't you? Kill yourself.

Drakron

Arcane
The top three is a totally different Bethesda

Well ... no.
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was by Headfist Productions that following "had problems with publisher Bethesda Softworks regarding finances" that I take they tried to pull the same scam they did with Arkane and Human Head.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I forgot they fucked them over after that. Just another example of why they should never be praised like they are some bastion of good games.

I'll admit it. I am massively butthurt about another one of my favorite series getting turned into retard bait.

The Dishonored fanbase that tried to convince people they were worthy successors to games like Thief/Thief 2 have forever tainted those games for me.
It's the wrong approach to play Dishonored (especially 1) like Thief. They are good games but they're way more fun if you approach them like you're a superpowered killing machine.

The second game has really good level design and stealthing is a bit more involved. It's a good series, don't let other people being dumb and talking about what they don't know stop you from playing good games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I notice you couldn't bring up a single game to mount a defense since you know you are full of shit.

You weird aggression is so incomprehensible, but I look forward to your butthurt when Dishonored does very well on the Codex best PC games list that is coming soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom