Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

toroid

Arcane
sensors are detecting passive aggressive nonchalance in this area

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I notice you couldn't bring up a single game to mount a defense since you know you are full of shit.

You weird aggression is so incomprehensible, but I look forward to your butthurt when Dishonored does very well on the Codex best PC games list that is coming soon.

SUD0kUo.png

I found one of your posts over on Reddit I think. You should consider playing a quality game for once.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You can say whatever you want about the game but the art in the Hell level is simply astonishing. I don't think I've seen the art of a classic game with semi-vague graphics reimagined so faithfully. It is just non stop carnage and insanity. A place of pure evil. The length was adequate but they could have made it longer.

I don't know, Doom 1's Hell and maps like Spirit World in Doom II had a much creepier and grotesque interpretation. The latter in particular with how you'd have enemies rise up from the intestines of the floor or how the walls would bleed and the spinal column hallway texture, the rivers of blood, and the enemies constantly emerge from the hidden walls was awesome as shit. Like you're inside something that's alive and this is what the demons call their home.

Eternal did have a disturbing lack of Hell levels though.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
You can say whatever you want about the game but the art in the Hell level is simply astonishing. I don't think I've seen the art of a classic game with semi-vague graphics reimagined so faithfully. It is just non stop carnage and insanity. A place of pure evil. The length was adequate but they could have made it longer.

I don't know, Doom 1's Hell and maps like Spirit World in Doom II had a much creepier and grotesque interpretation. The latter in particular with how you'd have enemies rise up from the intestines of the floor or how the walls would bleed and the spinal column hallway texture, the rivers of blood, and the enemies constantly emerge from the hidden walls was awesome as shit. Like you're inside something that's alive and this is what the demons call their home.

Eternal did have a disturbing lack of Hell levels though.

Aside from demons coming out of guts, it is exactly like that.

Sounds like you haven't played the game and seen snippets of gameplay. There are rivers of blood, guts in the wall. It's all flesh, wood, rusty metal, crudely cobbled stone with still living humans used as mortar.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The top three is a totally different Bethesda

Well ... no.
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was by Headfist Productions that following "had problems with publisher Bethesda Softworks regarding finances" that I take they tried to pull the same scam they did with Arkane and Human Head.

NEVER forget what Bethpizda did to Dark Corners of the Earth.

NEVER

passerby

Arcane
And I conceded that game was published by them and good even though they really just fucked over Obsidian over a single Metacritic point.

Well that was the contract they signed, do you expect a publisher to pay a development company something they are not obliged to out of goodwill ?

From my understanding MCA didn't even complain about, but was frustrated with fans stating that Obsidian has to swim in money after F:NV release, while financial situation was difficult in reality and just responded with factual information.

Unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory, that Bethesda influenced jurnos so the game fell one point short of bonus on Metacritic, which I find rather inplausible.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Then you're just fucking blind.

I think it's very adorable how you've discovered the Hell levels in a Doom game tend to look different and stand out. The thing is there are people that made this same discovery over 25 years ago during ye MS-DOS days.

There, I called you a retard and now you can call me a boomer. It evens out. Now hug me you fat fuck.

So, i just beat Hell Revealed:

SNmGP9d.png

0w7YY0r.png

YUIve2z.png

KX9QZ0R.png

mwaX0Tn.png

Yevt9aW.png

Cool looking map, "Afterlife":
AlZVYC0.png

aW5829B.png

Chess in Doom, lol:
pIPpMTo.png

gPijgdM.png

The maps looks meh and there's no new music.this WAD is not nearly as hard as i thought it would be, I had a lot more trouble with Scythe 2.Hell Revealed did get tough around map 13 to 24, but the last five maps are so easy it was depressing.

I also didn't like the gameplay overall in this WAD, there's way too many Barons of Hell and they're kinda bullet sponges, it takes six shots from a Super shotgun or Rocket Launcher to kill one of these demons and HR has tons of them.

I still think it was worth playing through once.

This is my last post about Doom 2 Wads in this thread.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The last three you can shove up your pee hole.

Dishonored and Prey have their flaws, but none the less they are good games. Prey is one of Arkane's best work imo.
I still have to finish DE, so I'll leave it's judgment for when I do so, but so far the game has been fun and a step up to D16 in the right places.

You said games published by Betheseda, not made by current Beth.

Onionguy

Educated

Well ... no.
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was by Headfist Productions that following "had problems with publisher Bethesda Softworks regarding finances" that I take they tried to pull the same scam they did with Arkane and Human Head.

NEVER forget what Bethpizda did to Dark Corners of the Earth.

NEVER
WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT? MR. D. Roxor, please tell me, I've never played it...:(

OctavianRomulus

Learned

I think it's very adorable how you've discovered the Hell levels in a Doom game tend to look different and stand out. The thing is there are people that made this same discovery over 25 years ago during ye MS-DOS days.

There, I called you a retard and now you can call me a boomer. It evens out. Now hug me you fat fuck.

Woah there mate, are you some kind faggot?!

Lukipaluki

Novice

Hugs are gay now? Sounds like we got another repressed Arachnophile on our hands bajs

OctavianRomulus

Learned

Hugs are gay now? Sounds like we got another repressed Arachnophile on our hands bajs

My affections are reserved for my anime pillow, like a troo gamer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Beat the game. Nothing to really add I haven't said before. The shooting can be fun, I don't pretend I hated shit I spent 15 hours completing, but it's buried in shit mechanics changes and bad ideas. The final levels throw so many big demons at you at once that the only way to play is constant use of all the timer gimicks and whatnot, and it's boring as fuck. You're busy, but you're not excited or having fun, you're working. Working from home during a pandemic makes sense though I guess. At least the second-to-last level has unique visuals, something the game is sorely lacking after level 2 for the most part and you've seen hell, sentinel world and hell-ified Earth. The game just repeats those three endlessly, and no sorry Digital Foundry, the graphics are not impressive.

Anyway whatever, in this day and age of very few AAA singleplayer games of ANY worth I guess it's worth fucking around with for cheap, but it's super disappointing if you liked 2016 IMO, and if you hated that like my angry friend above then this is the black plague.

A horse of course

Digital Foundry are incredibly shilltastic, they gargle the balls of whatever new game they cover. Their retro videos are a hundred times better.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think this game is that different from 2016, for whatever that's worth. The stuff they added just makes it more tiring, so much so i'm playing it piecemeal otherwise i'm sure i'll get tired of it and won't finish it.

Finished on Nightmare Extra Lifes mode. 8 lives left at game end. 1st try was a failure at Taras Nabad. I went in completely dry so I'm quite happy with this performance.

General thoughts:

- Most of the weapons feel pretty good. Only the rifle really feels like it drops off. Much improved over Doom 2016 where the entire first half of the weapons are entirely obsoleted by the 2nd half. In further testing it out I found the full auto shotgun mod to actually be pretty decent when upgraded. The main point is that its also significantly more accurate than regular fire in addition to firing quicker. It also obviously gets a lot better once you've got all your other ammo types covered, since as a shell-guzzler you need another weapon to take over when you run dry.
- Weapons still have the problem of Doom 2016 where they are primarily defined by their alt fire rather than their base weapon value. I think the only gun with which you'd want to use the primary fire consistently is the plasma rifle. Ironically enough its the primary fire that fuels the secondary heat blast but its also the only primary fire that is really good enough on its own.
- Game looks good and runs exceedingly well. Seriously everyone should be licensing this engine. Shit runs better than Doom 2016.
- Most of the monsters are well designed as an individual encounter or low-number encounter. The mini-encounters between the big fights where 2-4 enemies just come in or are already fighting as you walk in are good. If the whole game was like this it'd be much better
- Encounters with huge numbers of enemies get tiresome. The issue is that there really isn't much variety in how you actually deal with the enemies in the end. In OG Doom 2 you had to take particular care to dodge a bunch of mancubi differently from a bunch of reventants or a bunch of barons. And if there were chaingunners somewhere you had to figure that out ASAP and deal with them while dodging the rest. But in DoomE this is not the case. Every enemy is effectively handled the same way: pressing your dodge button constantly. There's neither hitscanners nor really any kind of enemy that uses much indirect fire that you have to be careful not to dodge into. So huge mobs of enemies just sort of degenerate into being a huge mob of enemies rather than something you have to understand and deal with on an individual monster level. The only monsters I really did so in DoomE were the mancubi (because their DPS is just too big), the cacodemon (similarly high DPS and very easy to pick out), and the archvile (for obvious reasons, just use your ice grenade and unload a rocket orgy).
- Dash is a neccesary consequence of too many monsters that are too fast and too aggressive. It should not exist. Protip for ANYONE making ANY game: If there is a key in your game that is so predictably, repeatedly pressed as to simulate a metronome when played with a mechanical keyboard then you have screwed something up somewhere. It is no longer what, as Sid Meier would say is the core of a game, a series of interesting decisions.
- Removing ammo management from the game is a catastrophically bad decision. Some will say "but I run out of ammo constantly!". The problem is that this isn't a symptom of poor ammo management, it's a symptom of forgetting to press 'C' for too long. There is no time in DoomE where you shouldn't be using the best gun for the situation. Even in Doom 2016 there was a sense of "I should probably use something slightly weaker for cleanup", because if you weren't using the infinite ammo rune you could still run out of chainsaw fuel for ammo drops (and ammo drops weren't nearly as big in 2016 I think). This also screws up the chainsaw's balance, no longer do you have the interesting choice of deciding to use 1 of your 3 chainsaw fuel on fodder to get ammo or saving all 3 in order to have a get out of jail free card if a baron of hell spawns 2 feet to your left and corners you. But then there's so many enemies in DoomE that if you get cornered by one and bodyblocked for even 2 seconds you're probably dead so w/e.
- I really quite liked the semi-ironman mode of Extra Lifes mode. In fact I'd say that this was the one thing that kept me going to the end. While all of the actual fights became a haze of every enemy type in the game spawning every fight, having an overall challenge of finishing without dying too much was something to strive for.
- Fuck the Marauder x2 electric boogaloo. HE'S INVINCIBLE TO BOTH SUPERWEAPONS AND THE SWORD CAN'T EVEN HURT HIM WHEN HE'S STAGGERED???????? Thankfully he only appeared at the end of waves until the end of the game, and most of the areas have much more room and obstacles to put space between him and you while you mop up. Also, tell me if I'm a complete fucking idiot, but did anyone else not figure out that you can kill his dog until beating him several times? I assumed that as the only non-corporeal enemy in the game that it was immune to being shot or something.
- Fuck the imp-phantom thing also. I'm not going to waste time going through the in-game codex but you'll know what I'm talking about, its the imp that teleports. It looks almost exactly like the imp but can't be chainsawed. I think I've died the most to this fact out of everything else but the marauder. *hits C expecting to dash forward 20 feet and get desperately needed ammo* *fails and spends 2s limply spinning around a chainsaw because its not an imp* *turns around to look directly at the not-imp and presses C again, thinking it was just another case of bad detection the first time* *again fails, don't get expected several seconds of invincibility and free health/armor, dies because dash was on cooldown*.
- It gets quite tedious "farming" supplies before you end encounters by killing the last big baddie. In fact a lot of difficulty comes down to whether you accept this tedium by the end game. Almost every arena will have distinct waves that only occur once all of the biggies of the previous wave are dead, and by keeping the one least deadly baddie around you can farm up the ammo and health/armor you used dealing with the wave you are currently on. But of course, this takes time. The supershotgun thankfully reduces a lot of the tedium of waiting on the flamer but its still tedium. The end game is kind of trivialized by this because no matter what the next wave has you can generally deal with the biggest enemies in a very quick fashion as long as you have 150 armor/200 health/full stock of rockets and turret ammo/freeze grenade available.
- I dislike how hard it is to actually get enemies in a staggered state to perform a glory kill. This is something that Doom 2016 did just right: enemies had a fairly large range of low-health in which they'd enter the stagger state. In DoomE it actually gets way too hard to do this. Suddenly the game is about figuring out how to NOT kill enemies by dealing so much damage that you can't get health out of it.
- Tutorials and help text for fucking everything is obnoxious.

Overall game could be drastically improved if dash was removed, player move speed was increased a bit, chainsaw auto-refill was removed, enemies were generally some combination of less mobile, less numerous, or less aggressive.

I don't think this game is that different from 2016, for whatever that's worth. The stuff they added just makes it more tiring, so much so i'm playing it piecemeal otherwise i'm sure i'll get tired of it and won't finish it.
Nah, it's definitely really different. It's all about how dash works in combination with too many enemies and how it changes encounters from using the environment to break up enemies to running around in a circle while benny hill music plays. It's also about how you can consistently guarantee huge health/armor/ammo drops no matter what is going on while in Doom 2016 you were still highly dependent on what the level provided you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom