Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? What exactly makes one expect anything from Bethesda owned id?
Can expect campaign DLC thanks to Bethesduh Publishing
rating_rage.gif

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
At the very least to push the boundaries with graphics since this was the newest iteration of their engine. They might have optimized the shit out of it but it doesn't look all that great.
It's a shame to see id hold back in this regard, but what can they do now. Bethesda as a publisher and their focus on console hardware limitations, of which the current gen is on it's way out soon. To their credit though, the art design is really good and the game definetely shines in that respect.

Lol, and really, if they want to optimise it in favour of having more enemies around at once, ok I get that. But hell, lose some more shaders etc and bring back the corpses!

Slaver1

Savant
At the very least to push the boundaries with graphics since this was the newest iteration of their engine. They might have optimized the shit out of it but it doesn't look all that great.
It's a shame to see id hold back in this regard, but what can they do now. Bethesda as a publisher and their focus on console hardware limitations, of which the current gen is on it's way out soon. To their credit though, the art design is really good and the game definetely shines in that respect.

Lol, and really, if they want to optimise it in favour of having more enemies around at once, ok I get that. But hell, lose some more shaders etc and bring back the corpses!

It does reek of being technically limited by consoles, and lower range PC's to be fair. It's like a polished Doom 16 that went in a more competitive direction (than I would have liked), not a full fledged sequel. If they ever make a new Quake or something I hope they create a game that pushes boundaries a bit more on the technological side and also doesn't force a play-style on you.

Curratum

Keep posting here, so I can know who the real agents of decline on this forum are. My database is not big enough yet.

I guess this game is more addictive than I thought at first because I got an itch to do a fresh run on Nightmare. Started yesterday evening and I'm already at Mars Core today. Nothing really gave me trouble until I started doing a Mars Core Slayer Gate where it's that fucking Marrauder mixed in with a bunch of other enemies. Now i'm dying over and over to this bitch. Can only pull off 2 hits of that highly advertised Ballista-Super Shotgun-Ballista combo before he recovers, with setting them up for quickswitch with Q and all. Fuck it I guess I need more gitting gud to do, I'll get there. Also, didn't use that slow motion rune on my first run, this time sacrificed fast GK rune to equip this. Really useful with Super Shotty grapple, even without air control rune repositioning during grapple is pretty good. Also found out I can actually line up a headshot on Maykr drones just fine during slow mo grapple as well, so even less need to use Precision Shot now.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Marauder has a weakness: splash damage actually works on him. So you can use the alt fire on the rocket launcher or if you are good enough the sticky bombs. Shoot at his feet instead of his body and he won't raise the shield. I'm at the part of hell where they process souls and there's a section where you meet a Marauder in a small circular room and a tiny tunnel which is usually death because once you go there he won't let you out. Having no room to do him "properly" i could only abuse explosives. Took me a dozen tries lmao fuck me.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's so retarded how they really made every enemy feel like a bitch though except the Marauder and Archvile. The Cyberdemon has to be the most unintimidating cyberdemon ever (not counting that Doom 3 boss). It's just a big lumbering goof that you eventually sink enough ammo into and glory kill. The Baron of Hell isn't anything like a Baron of Hell has always been, even 2016 had a proper Baron of Hell. When you play the old Doom games you feared so many of these enemies and in nuDoom they just throw them out there like candy to the point they all just blend together into some "adrenaline collage" or whatever they're going for with these corny games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's so retarded how they really made every enemy feel like a bitch though except the Marauder and Archvile. The Cyberdemon has to be the most unintimidating cyberdemon ever (not counting that Doom 3 boss). It's just a big lumbering goof that you eventually sink enough ammo into and glory kill. The Baron of Hell isn't anything like a Baron of Hell has always been, even 2016 had a proper Baron of Hell. When you play the old Doom games you feared so many of these enemies and in nuDoom they just throw them out there like candy to the point they all just blend together into some "adrenaline collage" or whatever they're going for with these corny games.

Archville is easy: freeze him then do the rocket launcher ballista switcharoo. Hard part is to spot him quick enough to interrupt the summoning ritual.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Maybe i'll try Metro Exodus next. That's supposed to have super uber graphics, right?

Play DMC5 instead. It has uber graphix and is about slaying demons as well.

No thanks. I'd rather play as try hard OMG SLAYER than literally pretty boy faggot.

Lyric Suite is a storyfag. Interesting...

:updatedmytxt:

Also it's not pretty boy but Wacky Woohoo Pizza Man Adventures
As a boomer I am sure you'd enjoy it:

CGMDWk4.jpg

Last edited:
Marauder has a weakness: splash damage actually works on him. So you can use the alt fire on the rocket launcher or if you are good enough the sticky bombs. Shoot at his feet instead of his body and he won't raise the shield.

Yeah I know about sticky bombs at his feet, wrote about that myself here some pages ago. My problem with him is same as on first run - when he's mixed in with other dangerous enemies I die to them as soon as I give Marrauder few seconds of attention. I'll figure out better ways to deal with him I guess but I don't see myself ever actually starting to enjoy him. It's a dumb enemy that doesn't feel like it belongs in this game and should've at least not been made immune to super weapons. I can skip any other enemy with Crucible except the most annoying one, thanks ID.

Play DMC5 instead. It has uber graphix and is about slaying demons as well.

No thanks. I'd rather play as try hard OMG SLAYER than literally pretty boy faggot.

Still way better than playing that Metro crap though. But you'd probably like Sekiro better, it defiinitely wins over DMC5 in terms of atmosphere and combat is real fun too.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Is that the Slayer Gate with the angel drones? Probably the toughest one purely because I'm pretty sure there are no zombies wandering to chainsaw/glory kill since the angel drones take their place and they're far more annoying when you are trying to concentrate down the Marauder.

Apparently you can't save in Ultra-Nightmare and the game simply deletes your save if you can't do it all in one sitting. wtf.

Maybe read what it does next time you pick it.

This time there's a lives mode you can use which ought to make ultra-nightmare easier, but i'm not going to try it myself since i suck at iron man modes. Too many times i start navel gazing about some unrelated shit when i'm playing games i'd never make it very far.

I assumed it would be the same as Doom 2016 because there is no reason to change it.

I did finish the lives mode which works pretty well. You get a LOT of lives if you pay attention to the map. It also can be enabled for other difficulties. I highly recommend it. Either you'll win your 1st attempt or you'll very quickly figure out how to git gud on your 2nd attempt and enter the later levels with well into the double digits of lives. The only big downside is you can't go back to earlier levels to get stuff you missed.

It's kind of weird cause they start the game with enemies that are very dangerous unless you abuse their weak points to quickly kill or disable their most deadly attacks. Then you get to the 2nd level of the game and from there on all enemies introduce have no real weakpoints, and without a weakpoints to disable specifically annoying enemy attacks the rest of the monsters just have generic annoying attacks.

Marauder has a weakness: splash damage actually works on him. So you can use the alt fire on the rocket launcher or if you are good enough the sticky bombs. Shoot at his feet instead of his body and he won't raise the shield.

Yeah I know about sticky bombs at his feet, wrote about that myself here some pages ago. My problem with him is same as on first run - when he's mixed in with other dangerous enemies I die to them as soon as I give Marrauder few seconds of attention. I'll figure out better ways to deal with him I guess but I don't see myself ever actually starting to enjoy him. It's a dumb enemy that doesn't feel like it belongs in this game and should've at least not been made immune to super weapons. I can skip any other enemy with Crucible except the most annoying one, thanks ID.

At least in levels with terrain level differences you can generally play keep-away while you clean up the rest of the fight. As bad of an enemy as he is I think he's consistently handle-able. He is not thrown in at the start or middle of huge arena fights but at the end. The only exception is the last slayer gate fight.

Last edited:
Is that the Slayer Gate with the angel drones? Probably the toughest one purely because I'm pretty sure there are no zombies wandering to chainsaw/glory kill since the angel drones take their place and they're far more annoying when you are trying to concentrate down the Marauder.

Yes. But the drones are honestly fine, I just slow motion grapple up to them and shoot their heads off with super shotgun. It's the piece of shit Cuntrrauder that is there right at the start of the fight that pisses me off.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The Arch-vile is such an annoying cunt of an enemy now lol.

Yes, he's actually worse here than in the old games because before he had to have dead bodies to properly resurrect but in this game he simply summons them in by the dozens. The only classic Doom enemy they did justice to, imo.

Arch-vile I didn't find to be a problem even during first encounters. I was honestly more annoyed when I had to search for these fucking Buff Totems. Arch-viles were at least immediately visible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom